UTG quad rail?

I was looking at the latest Cheaper Than Dirt catalog and they have a UTG quad rail for the S-12. Does anyone have one? Has anyone heard about them. I have an UTG quad on both my Bushmaster and my Wasr-10. They both have red dots and I have found the rails to be sturdy and I have never had to re-adjust the optics. What do y'all think.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think that the majority of the people the choice comes down to 3 things when comparing multiple like items.       1 Availability   2 Price   3 Style or the "Look"       You have a few pe

Ugh...internet tough guys. 2 things:   1 - It obvious if you don't buy the same quad rail that <insert name here> purchased, you are a moron. 2 - Cameron, I don't know you, and I'm sure you

They've been out for a bit. Some people here have them. Look around, there has been quite a few threads on them.

Personally, I'd stay away from CTD. Bunch'a scumbags, as far as I'm concerned.

As for the rail itself........I prefer my Chaos rail.

• Like 1

I bought a Chaos rail. I cannot wait to get it hopefully soon. I am another one that wont buy from CTD. Some people will say they are entitled to try and charge what they like, it is capitalism. That's true I am equally entitled to not shop with them, that is the other side of capitalism. I will stick to companies that didn't fear monger and gouge.

• 3 weeks later...

CTD, CSS, Combat Hunting and several other sites have been avdertising that Quad rail for months now. The thing keeps getting delayed. Who knows when the thing will actually be released. You'd be better off buying something from Choas or another board supporter. But if you'd rather keep waiting for an undertermined amout of time, that's up to you.

I talked to UTG a few weeks ago and they told me they were doing this is 2 phases (whatever that means) and they had just started the first phase so they would know more on a release date in 1-2 months. Now DPHarms says "This product will be in stock on Friday 02 October, 2009." But i wouldn't get my hopes up

I bought one of these (at $375 for a complete M4 upper, the deal was just too good to pass up) it comes with a UTG quad rail. The thing is freakin HUGE. I realize that this is an AR version, but it is much bigger than the trirail I got from DPH for my S-12. The UTG is uncomfortably large.

M4 upper

deltonspecutgff4r1rgb.jpg

Edited by 7.62x39

^ +1

If I liked to play with fake pellet guns, (airsoft), I'd use UTG products on those, cause it doesn't really matter.

On actual firearms, I prefer quality products, and I buy American whenever possible. Since Chaos rails have dropped in price so dramatically from what they used to cost, imo there's no excuse to buy this cheaply made Taiwanese crap, (UTG rails).

Also, who knows when UTG will actually start selling these? They were supposed to be available back in March iirc.

Chaos is producing and shipping their excellent quality, American-made rails as of now. If you don't go with Chaos.. go with Kross.. just don't waste your money on Taiwanese shit that isn't really that much cheaper anyway.

Edited by post-apocalyptic

I just received my Chaos rail yesterday. It took me two minutes to mount it (most of which was spent gathering the tools and opening the box). It looks good, feels light, and seems very sturdy. Hopefully when I get some free time I can mount some things to it and play with my S12 to test it all out. So far however it seems like a great product.

• Like 1

The ONLY thing that the utg rail had on the chaos rail was that you can mount your sights closer to yourself but even with that you're mounting it on a stick of pic. rail with no reinforcement whatsoever. It would be like mounting your sight on the end of a diving board. I purchased a chaos and it is a super light yet ultra sturdy. Several thousand rounds later i've never looked back. Cameron's resume and products speak for themselves. In july the chaos rail was 99$ (on sale for the 4th and due to him finding a better way to manufacture). The utg was the same price, yet doesn't exist. I'd rather shoot my shotgun. I know i mentioned earlier that the utg had the upper hand over chaos in one respect...the longer top section. A. thats only a concern if that is important to you B. Chaos wins hands down in every other category...strength, weight, finish, look, american made, holds zero, quality etc etc.

but check this out.

http://i332.photobucket.com/albums/m348/ch.../Picture001.jpg

looks like cameron has them beat on this too. These are the soon to be released extended quad rails that have all the same goodness as listed before. If you already own the quad you can just buy the upper, saving the consumer money.

Disclaimer: i don't know cameron, we don't hang out, we aren't "friends" outside of the forum. I like his product because it works and works well. When i made the choice to buy his over the others i did a year or so of research and i couldn't be happier. I purchased my rail from tac47 almost a week before he had his forth of july sale. Cameron had the money in his hands, 200$+, and my rail was on the way. He felt bad that i didn't get in on the sale so he contacted tac47, the two agreed, and they refunded some of the money so my total purchase was 100$. I've never been so astonished. He is a hell of a man and a craftsman.

This rail (UTG) has been a long running joke! They originally said it would release in April this year, then May, then July, then Aug/Sept, now it is Oct. I guarantee you, it will not be available until just before Xmas!

Don't hold your breath, don't waste your time or your patience. Just get either the Chaos or the Kross rail and be done with it.

After making everyone wait so long while there are so many other rail options available at a competitve price, I don't think Leapers will be selling much of this rail because by the time they're available everyone will have bought something else.

They're stuff is not garbage but they're delivery is very flawed.

This rail (UTG) has been a long running joke! They originally said it would release in April this year, then May, then July, then Aug/Sept, now it is Oct. I guarantee you, it will not be available until just before Xmas!

Don't hold your breath, don't waste your time or your patience. Just get either the Chaos or the Kross rail and be done with it.

After making everyone wait so long while there are so many other rail options available at a competitve price, I don't think Leapers will be selling much of this rail because by the time they're available everyone will have bought something else.

They're stuff is not garbage but they're delivery is very flawed.

LOL.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

I was looking at the latest Cheaper Than Dirt catalog and they have a UTG quad rail for the S-12. Does anyone have one? Has anyone heard about them. I have an UTG quad on both my Bushmaster and my Wasr-10. They both have red dots and I have found the rails to be sturdy and I have never had to re-adjust the optics. What do y'all think.

Actually the top rail that extends rearward is very stiff and nothing like a "diving board". The construction has built in ribs to stiffen it and it does not flex, even when the longer extension is used..

I have just swapped out an SMG with Cobras heat shield for the UTG and like it a lot. It also lets you sight through it so that you can use the iron sights without removing anything.

Aircraft aluminum and nice fit. The rubber caps are a plus.

A lot of guys complain about foreign products for their guns in this forum but have already spent more on the foreign guns themselves--just giving the money to Russia instead of China. Big whup!

• Like 1

Ribbed or not,unless they made from a very dense material with that length versus thickness, they're going to do nothing but bounce all over the place. They cut corners in they're design so they could make them cheap, and they are cheap! If your serious about your weapon there is no way you would put one of these on your Saiga, not to mention these count against your compliant parts.

• Like 2

A lot of guys complain about foreign products for their guns in this forum but have already spent more on the foreign guns themselves--just giving the money to Russia instead of China. Big whup!

It's not just "complaining about foreign products for their guns", it's about quality. In this case, the foreign product is of lesser quality than similar products made in the US. So you'll get a lot of people pushing for the US made product, which is better made (as in Chaos rails, or Kross rails).

A converse example: You'll get people pushing for the foreign made product (Saiga factory 8 round mags), over similar products made in the US.

• Like 1

It's not just "complaining about foreign products for their guns", it's about quality. In this case, the foreign product is of lesser quality than similar products made in the US. So you'll get a lot of people pushing for the US made product, which is better made (as in Chaos rails, or Kross rails).

A converse example: You'll get people pushing for the foreign made product (Saiga factory 8 round mags), over similar products made in the US.

I just installed a Kross FLTR on my S-12, and the quality is impressive. I like having a handguard that's one solid piece of aluminum. The fact that the rails are hollow on the UTG product is just one more reason to buy a US-made product instead, (especially since they're on sale).

People want 8-round Izhmash mags for the same reason, i.e. they're superior to the alternatives.

Edited by post-apocalyptic
  • Like 2

Ribbed or not,unless they made from a very dense material with that length versus thickness, they're going to do nothing but bounce all over the place. They cut corners in they're design so they could make them cheap, and they are cheap! If your serious about your weapon there is no way you would put one of these on your Saiga, not to mention these count against your compliant parts.

However if you are looking for a rear set of rails in addition to the front quad rails, $100 at least for the front and another $175 for the rear for US made is half the cost of the gun.

Second if you already have only 6 foreign made 922r parts in the gun due to the improvements below, swapping out the HG/Rails for a foreign product is not a factor. And those other US made parts that lower the 922r count actually make a better improvement in the gun than just the US made rails will. FCG, Trigger springs, Recoil/bolt springs, a proper brake, an improved puck, bolt/carrier polishing, will all add to the guns performance more than a US set of rails will. I can certainly see that if $$ is not a problem then go for the US rails and HG but your money is better spent first in the above components even if you have to sacrifice "quality, US rails" in order to improve your gun's performance before the rail upgrade.

And as for the arguement that the long tongue of the UTG rail will flop around--it does not, it is very stiff and braced and lighter than the US counterparts--that "flop around" arguement is moot as one does not usually find oneself sighting through the iron sights or mounted Red dot etc to any degree of accuracy while the gun is recoiling from the last shot which is the only time the supposed "flopping" would be taking place.

And in fact I doubt whether the rear rails that attach to the rear cover are any sturdier when it comes to vibration transmission unless they attach before and after the rear cover. And none of those are cheap.

I have found that my red dot reflex sight has maintaned zero attached to that rear UTG rail as well as it maintanes zero attached to the detachable side mount rail that I had on the same gun. That is, it keeps it's zero.

So for me the "cheaper" UTG rails with the rubber clips for comfort are just fine since I already have, the Tromix FCG and trigger guard, JT Engineering trigger spring, reduced power spring for the bolt etc., KA Tappet, polished bolt and carrier, Gunfixer's gas plug, and Hogue grip, and folding stock and a quick release magazine release. All of which to my mind, provide a better performance boost than US rails.

But , Hey! That' just my opinion. If I manufactured US rails I might have a different outlook. But as an end user my priorities are for performance--not where the parts are made-once 922r has been met.

Look I have some Chinese stuff, I think that now a days it is impossible not to! However, there is no way I would pay that kind of money for a Chinese railed handguard when I can buy American made quality for only a few dollars more!

Perhaps, the UTG belongs in the "Wall of Shame?"

• Like 2

Look I have some Chinese stuff,

Actually the box says Taiwan.

I can buy American made quality for only a few dollars more!

If a US made extended rail version was currently being made I would have bought that.

I can't mount an optic on vaporware.

Vaporware, that’s funny, we start taking orders on that vaporware next month! :haha: "lifeguard" not only does the right rail make all the difference in performance, it changes the look and feel of the weapon completely. I work for Chaos so yeah I'm going to push US made stuff hard! So I guess the question is “who are you working for?” Are you guys on UTG's Payroll? Damn you guys sure are pushing this crap hard!

• Like 1

DUDE, CHINA FUCKING ROCKS!!! Why buy high quality American parts from other Americans, when you can send your money to another country, especially a country which actively supports terrorism and communism?! When I have any issues with my Chinese products, there are a billion Chinese which will be more than happy to help me solve any problems!

COMMUNISM IS FUCKING AWESOME!!

Huh. I dunno about UTG or Chaos or what not, I'm not personally a fan of a weapon thats more rails then anything, but I gotta hop in to this...

Lifegard, first, what the hell my good man. The concept of a preorder is not new in any way shape or form. You may love the UTG rail, it works for you, super awesome, someone else likes Chaos and prefers to buy US or what not, nationalism at its finest, so whats really the problem? Your rail is just as good as the next guys. (Personally I don't see the damn point in quad rails, the hell are you really sticking onto the damn thing that you need that much rail?)

Also, the supporting terrorist thing... vbrtrmn, China is capitalist trying to cling to the old communist ways, big freaking deal, the world knows communism doesn't work very well and they tend to be left the hell behind everyone moving to capitalism and making more money then them. Also... Its a world economy now. You have to play with the other boys. The ship sailed on us being able to be completely isolationist a long time ago when we didn't annex and keep Mexico and Canada (Yes, we had the ability to keep both of them and all their lovely natural resources but we stupidly gave them back). I applaud you on buying American, but its just not possible with everything or everyone, and if you want to get really down to it, the US aint a shining example of not supporting terrorists. Everyone does, its how the game is played, you support the enemies of your enemies to further your goals.

As for the weapons you see on TV Lifegard, I presume you mean the AK...

Not all AKs are made in Russia or Yugoslavia or Romania. They make them all over the world, in anything from a full scale production factory to a damp dark little cave in the mountains, thats one of the wonderful things about that weapon, if you have a basic machine shop, you can build the damn thing.

In short, if I had the money and was so inclined, I would buy Chaos. If I didn't have the money and was so inclined, UTG would work, but I personally am not inclined either way. =P

You may go back to yelling at each other over quad rails or communism or what not.

OK... some history here, people.... HALO arms were the first to come out with a Saiga rail.... So don't be thinking that UTG "Thunk" up something new here

Second, I don't give a crap who makes 'em... if there not carried by one of our vendors..... FUG 'em!!!!

I personally run a Chaos......