As I was taking a patients Vital signs today to monitor the physical effects the psychotropic drugs we are administering I couldn't do it because she had the hiccups & kept jumping around! :evil: I took her through the steps to cure them & as is the case 95% of the time, it worked & I went along my way. It occurred to me that this is useful information that I was SO GRATEFUL for after I learned I figure I'll pay it forward to you guys. :beer:

Hiccups are actually your diaphragm going through spasms. There are a lot of "wifes tale cures" But this is the real way to cure them the vast majority of the time. It only takes 60 seconds, & you will be breathing normally again.

THIS IS NOT A JOKE.

First picture how Tommy Chong hits a joint. That is the type of breath you take to cure hiccups immediately. Breathing this way once or twice WILL equalize your diaphragm & cure the hiccups! I cure my patients like this quite often. It has never failed me ;)

1. Breathe deeply a couple of times to enrich your blood with oxygen because you are about to hold your breath.

2. Inhale as deeply as you possibly can.

3. Wait 5 seconds.

4. Do NOT exhale.

5. Inhale a little more. (your lungs stretch a little so you will be able to after waiting)

6. Wait 5 seconds.

7. Inhale a little more.

8. Wait 5 seconds.

9. Inhale a little more.

10. Wait 5 seconds.

11. inhale a little more.

12. Your lungs should be so full by now that you feel like your eyes are about to pop out. :eyes_droped:

13. Hold it for a few seconds then SLOWLY exhale.

You have now equalized your diaphragm. It may feel weird for a moment, but the hiccups should not come back.

If unsuccessful, repeat the process.

This procedure was taught to me by a very good Dr. that I work with. Ever since he instructed me on this, I have not had hiccups for more than 1 minuet!! I am very grateful to him for this. Especially when I'm real hungry, eat the first bite to fast & get the hiccups, then eating is hard because you keep hiccuping :angry: . Being able to stop them instantly, with a simple type of breathing exercise is kinda cool. :up:

I know this topic is trivial, But hiccups are quite annoying. With this information the mystery is over! :super_man:

Good luck :clover:

Pay it forward...

Thanks for posting this.

I am not sure how to best describe how I get rid of them, but I know that it is breath control that does it. I usually only hiccup once and I can stop them in their tracks.

When I notice a hiccup, I usually stop breathing for a few seconds... i.e. if was breathing in or out when the hiccup occurred, I do not complete the breath but leave my lungs in their current state for about 5-10 seconds.

I then start breathing very slowly and with very shallow breaths, starting with a slow inhale. I think I know what you were talking about regarding feeling funny after equalizing the diaphragm. Once I resume breathing in a shallow manner, sometimes I get a strange feeling from the diaphragm area. If I do not immediately halt airflow in/out of my lungs, I will hiccup again. It takes a minute or so of controlled breathing in this manner before I can resume normal breathing without problems.

I will try the method that you describe the next time it happens. It takes the work out of paying attention to that feeling and controlling the breathing accordingly.

A spoonful (or packet, if at a restaurant) of sugar has always worked for me and my family.

A good swift kick in the balls also will quickly make you forget about hiccups.

........and yet another shining example of the innate diversity that is to be found on this Forum.......

Gotta love it !!!!

(I vote for the "sugar" approach, myself...............) :smoke:

So, do we actually smoke the joint? What if your at work? Can I substitute the weed with crack? Or how 'bout a really thick milkshake?

Actually if you smoke anything while trying this you will end up coughing before you relax your diaphragm.

The Tommy Chong reference was just to help you visualize what I was explaining.

Sorry I didn't explain it better for you. :haha:

post-19652-1250801612_thumb.jpg

Ya hear that Racegal? I told you I wasn't bullshittin about the sugar trick! Thanks Bob! My aunt taught me that years ago and it always works. There other weird things your body will do after taking a teaspoon of sugar as well....

And if the sugar dose doesn't work then hit that doobie really hard!....lol! Or pretend to...yeah, that's it...yeah...

Wish you would have posted this the other day, I got the hiccups for the first time in years and it took a few hours for it to go away.

Thanks for sharing. I (ahem) am familiar with the breathing method of which you speak, although I have not used it in many years :rolleyes:

I learned an "old wives trick" that I've used on myself and my patients for years. Hasn't failed yet, but its much more awkward than what you described. I have the person hold a tongue-depressor onto the side of a paper cup and have them drink several swallows while holding their tongue down. I know it sounds crazy, but I swear to god it works every time.

I'll have to try the sugar & toung depresser tricks in the rare case that the deep breath trick doesn't work.

The 1 time it didn't was with a borderline Pt. that didn't even try to breathe deep. I think he was pissed & trying to find something to complain about because his med-seeking behaviors were not working.

I deal with ALL types.

I'll have to try the sugar & toung depresser tricks in the rare case that the deep breath trick doesn't work.

The 1 time it didn't was with a borderline Pt. that didn't even try to breathe deep. I think he was pissed & trying to find something to complain about because his med-seeking behaviors were not working.

I deal with ALL types.

Inhaling as much as you can and holding it for 22 seconds works but it may take 2-3 attempts... Prevention is the best medicine so try not to do anything too fast.

Oddly enough, I do something very similar to the the OP's suggestion and have for quite awhile. I was never told to do it. I think I just stumbled on it, when I started to get pissed off at having the hiccups, and was doing all sorts of weird things to stop them.

Something I think is weird, is that I'll get the hiccups (randomly, not every time, and not even very often) when I smoke. But I'll only hiccup when I take a drag and right as I inhale, it turns into a hiccup. But when I take a breath without taking a drag, I won't hiccup. This will go on for about half of a cigarette, and then I'll get irritated and do the breathing technique.

So what's the diagnosis, Doc?