Oral board next week, any advice?

Uh, kick ass? :D

I've always been pretty comfortable with any kind of spoken exam/interview. Shit, the last really serious one I had to do was conducted in Korean. At least you get to speak English! :haha:

Think about and articulate the general ideas you want to communicate in your answers and you'll do fine.

Good luck! :up:

• Like 1

Uh, kick ass? :D

I've always been pretty comfortable with any kind of spoken exam/interview. Shit, the last really serious one I had to do was conducted in Korean. At least you get to speak English! :haha:

Think about and articulate the general ideas you want to communicate in your answers and you'll do fine.

Good luck! :up:

Thanks buddy!

• Like 1

I have sat on a few fire department oral boards. I would bring a copy of your resume for everyone...expect 5 on 1. And think about what your going to say before you say it. Know about the department you're applying for...research

and have a default statement...something you can say when they stump you with a question

Edited by TO THE FLOOR IN A 63
  • Like 1
I have sat on a few fire department oral boards. I would bring a copy of your resume for everyone...expect 5 on 1. And think about what your going to say before you say it. Know about the department you're applying for...research

We have 3on1 and department research was recommended. Thanks! I'll be keeping this one up front on the forum for a couple days if it's allowed. Thanks for the support to all!

• Like 1

Waite,

What they are looking for is the "Truth!" I know that some people have had some serious problems with police as of late and for that I am sorry. But the single most important thing that you could ever do in law enforcement is tell the truth about everything that you see and do. If you see something wrong, then it is your obligation to set it straight or find someone that can set it straight for you. The oral board will be conducted by a board of your peers and they will ask you questions to elicit a response from you. It is kind of like a test of you moral character. When they ask you about past drug use, you need to be honest and tell them if you have ever used, what types and when you used them. They will also ask you about previous thefts or crimes that you may have committed in the past such as shoplifting as a kid and such. Once again, they are looking for the truth. And your answers will not always disqualify you from the process. But not telling the truth will get you eliminated in very short order. Once you make it past the oral board, you will probably be set up for a Polygraph. And the same questions will be asked during this test. They are checking for deception and whether or not you change your answers during the test. When in doubt, refer back to rule #1..Tell the truth

In this day and age, most departments already know that a large portion of the population has experimented with drug use in the past or as a young person. They know this, but they are looking to see if you have enough personal character to admit it to them. If you hide it from them, believe me, they will find out. Experimentation with marijuana and such will not eliminate you and even some of the bigger drugs will not hurt you too bad as long as there has not been any use within the past five or more years. Previous drug use is the number one thing that people lie about during the boards and sends them packing everytime. Just sit back, relax, be professional and talk to them like you would talk with a close personal friend. Good luck and keep us posted.

One last thing that will almost always be asked and you should know without any hesitation. YOU NEED TO KNOW THE NAME OF THE CHIEF OR SHERIFF!!! You would be surprised at how many people do not even know the name of their potential boss.

Edited by GeorgiaPD
  • Like 1

^ Though I generally agree with your advice here, GeorgiaPD, I have to disagree with the drug use advice. Unless you're got a long and documented history of "real" drug use, I advise you to just stick to never. If the only thing you may have done in the past is smoke a little weed here and there, (with no arrests), just say you've never done anything and stick to that. Take my advice or leave it, but I speak from the experience of someone who's held a TS/SCI security clearance, (just somewhat tough to get). You decide, based on your situation.

I did notice that you changed the "subtitle" of your post after I responded, waite, so I guess you may not want my advice as I've never served in LE specifically. Since I haven't, I guess I have nothing helpful to contribute, huh? I'll just bite my tongue, (fingers), here.

Like I said, good luck.

Edited by post-apocalyptic
  • Like 1

Waite,

What they are looking for is the "Truth!" I know that some people have had some serious problems with police as of late and for that I am sorry. But the single most important thing that you could ever do in law enforcement is tell the truth about everything that you see and do. If you see something wrong, then it is your obligation to set it straight or find someone that can set it straight for you. The oral board will be conducted by a board of your peers and they will ask you questions to elicit a response from you. It is kind of like a test of you moral character. When they ask you about past drug use, you need to be honest and tell them if you have ever used, what types and when you used them. They will also ask you about previous thefts or crimes that you may have committed in the past such as shoplifting as a kid and such. Once again, they are looking for the truth. And your answers will not always disqualify you from the process. But not telling the truth will get you eliminated in very short order. Once you make it past the oral board, you will probably be set up for a Polygraph. And the same questions will be asked during this test. They are checking for deception and whether or not you change your answers during the test. When in doubt, refer back to rule #1..Tell the truth

In this day and age, most departments already know that a large portion of the population has experimented with drug use in the past or as a young person. They know this, but they are looking to see if you have enough personal character to admit it to them. If you hide it from them, believe me, they will find out. Experimentation with marijuana and such will not eliminate you and even some of the bigger drugs will not hurt you too bad as long as there has not been any use within the past five or more years. Previous drug use is the number one thing that people lie about during the boards and sends them packing everytime. Just sit back, relax, be professional and talk to them like you would talk with a close personal friend. Good luck and keep us posted.

One last thing that will almost always be asked and you should know without any hesitation. YOU NEED TO KNOW THE NAME OF THE CHIEF OR SHERIFF!!! You would be surprise at how many people do not even know the name of their potential boss.

G.P.D.

I was hoping you would reply. My dad was a LEO and used to sit on the board. I'v been well versed on what to expect. Still, more advice can be helpful. Any competitive edge to get me through the process would be benifical. Thanks for the reply. I'll keep all of you posted. 1,800 people applied for a career that has 30 - 40 openings. Need prayer. Thanks guys.

• Like 1

I am NOT an Officer of the Law....HOWEVER

I do think that those here that are, should have a private section to themselves........

my main reason for refusing USA LEO work was that i would have to "help" "everyone" regardless. I could not do that.

that takes something special that most of us DO NOT have.

good luck.

• Like 1

I do think that those here that are, should have a private section to themselves........

I disagree. What's wrong with LEO's and those upon whom the law will be enforced having at least somewhat open discussions in a public forum? If there was less public mistrust of LEO's, things would go much smoother in general.

^ Though I generally agree with your advice here, GeorgiaPD, I have to disagree with the drug use advice. Unless you're got a long and documented history of "real" drug use, I advise you to just stick to never. If the only thing you may have done in the past is smoke a little weed here and there, (with no arrests), just say you've never done anything and stick to that. Take my advice or leave it, but I speak from the experience of someone who's held a TS/SCI security clearance, (just somewhat tough to get). You decide, based on your situation.

I did notice that you changed the "subtitle" of your post after I responded, waite, so I guess you may not want my advice as I've never served in LE specifically. Since I haven't, I guess I have nothing helpful to contribute, huh? I'll just bite my tongue, (fingers), here.

Like I said, good luck.

Subtitle was there from the begining (no foul). The department will allow a "certian" amount of drug use as they know that everybody is not perfect , thankfully. I had admitted prior use of weed and passed the PHQ. I even was a little more honest and told them about my violent past, still passed due to it all being justified. :) Thanks guys

Subtitle was there from the begining (no foul). The department will allow a "certian" amount of drug use as they know that everybody is not perfect , thankfully. I had admitted prior use of weed and passed the PHQ. I even was a little more honest and told them about my violent past, still passed due to it all being justified. :) Thanks guys

as long as it is behind you, and you are on the "team" I fail to see how this could hurt you. Can you do your job? then FUCK em.

the thing I could not do, was be just to all I came across......if you can be unresigned and unbiased in your day to day, maybe this is the job for you!!! I could not do this, and thus, im not a cop.....

It is one HELL of a thing to swallow......but they can tell you that......my sincere best wishes, on your career

• Like 1

Like I said, good luck.

PA,

I don't think that he was trying to disrespect you or anything. The subtitle was up when I posted and I think we were typing at or near the same time. Besides, I didn't think that you could change the title or subtitle after the initial post.

The reason that I told him to be honest is to show moral character. If he tells them "No" or "Never" on a question when in his heart he knows that the answer is "Yes", then he would be no better than the "Tard" that you recently had/having problems with. Just my thoughts on the post is all. I still wish him the best of luck as we definately need more on the street.

• Like 1

Is the oral review held by a civilian member board, departmental board or a hybrid? I guess it really doesn't matter. This is a review process which is replete with arbitrary and capricious decisions. There is no magic answer to your question. Answer honestly and do not try to fit into the law enforcement organization...make sure the agency fits you. You cannot live a lie without becoming disgusted. Unfortunately politics will influence the direction individual law enforcement agencies travel. Politicians choose the administrators and the law has many interperations. Talk to any experienced LEO, if they are honest, they will agree.

Back when I offered myself up for examination a polygraph examination was required to verify honesty compared to the original application, interview process(s), and background investigation. Polygraphs were required in both state and federal positions. I do not know if polygraphs are still required today or not. Do not lie! While I am aware lie detector examinations are not even close to being 100% accurate any preceived deception may eliminate you as a candidate. Honesty and consistency is very important. Do not tell the individual interviewers what you think they wish to hear. Stay true to yourself...the interviewers will try and lead you in different directions to test the sincerity of your answers. Make eye contact with the individual asking the question and lock eyes with them during the explanation of your answer. And be prepared to answer embarrassing questions honestly...they will interview your friends , family and neighbors prior to the interview(s) regarding your fitness to become a law enforcement officer. They will do things like going through your trash looking for beer cans to see if you drink or not and if you try to lie about it. Indecision and nervousness can prove fatal toward your hopes of employment. Being caught in a lie will almost certainly remove you from consideration. Just my 2 cents and Good luck!

If you gain employment then try and keep a diary. Try to write down the highlights of you tour of duty. I know this sounds odd but I was given this very advice. I wish I had listened to that advice. It would have made one hell of a book. At the very least I think my children would understand me better. You will be amazed at the things you will witness.

Edited by t165

I've been a cop for eight years now and I've sat on a couple oral boards asking the questions and rating the applicants. My advice, besides the obvious: be honest, is to try to explain your answers with logic. A simple yes or no won't do here. Try to explain your thought process a little in a way that lets them know you are good police officer material. Also, a lot of the questions are moral dilemas that you'll have to sort out right in front of them while they watch you. For example, they'll ask you what you'd do if you saw another officer break the law. They really want to see you in a tough spot here. If you just say "I'd report him immediately", they know you're just trying to tell them what they want to hear. If you hem and haw a little, but then come to the conclusion that although it would be hard to do, you'd report him anyway, they know that you're a real person but you're willing to do the right thing no matter what. Just my two cents having been on both sides.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

....Take my advice or leave it, but I speak from the experience of someone who's held a TS/SCI security clearance, (just somewhat tough to get). You decide, based on your situation....

.... I guess you may not want my advice as I've never served in LE specifically. Since I haven't, I guess I have nothing helpful to contribute, huh? I'll just bite my tongue, (fingers), here....

I think that you are honestly trying to help, but as someone who has been one and held the other, it is not even the same thing, nor do the backgrounds have the same objective.

So, did you hold your clearance in the service, Azrial?

Since you've both been a cop and held a high-level gov't security clearance, I'll defer to your experience on this matter.

waite: glad to hear you did well. Best of luck on the next step! :up:

Personally, I could never be a cop in today's world... I'd simply find myself unable to enforce laws that I thought to be unconstitutional, (a lot of em).

Edited by post-apocalyptic

So, did you hold your clearance in the service, Azrial?

No sir, it was because of my assignment in law enforcement. It is pretty common with LEOs that have done contractor work as well.

• 1 month later...

I met with a background investigator today. He said everything was good and in order execpt for some self employment that I did without a license. It might hurt me. Even the evading arrest (vehicle) from 1997 didn't raise too much attention. My polygraph is scheduled for next week.

You sound like you are progressing well. Polygraphs cost money, and money is tight for departments, just like everyone else. If they are spening money on you to take this test, they are serious about hiring you. Don't blow it in the polygraph or the final interview (Don't bring your Saiga when you meet with the Chief...) and you are very likely golden!

I met with a background investigator today. He said everything was good and in order execpt for some self employment that I did without a license. It might hurt me. Even the evading arrest (vehicle) from 1997 didn't raise too much attention. My polygraph is scheduled for next week.

Good Luck!

I'm not LEO, But I did hold a top- secret security clearance in the Navy, & have taken many polygraphs.

Do not think into the questions too much, that will look like you're searching for fabrications. & think of the examiner as your friend.

I am rather anti-establishment by nature & had a hard time with polygraphs simply because I don't trust people. My results came back as inconclusive a few times because of this. :unsure:

They are guessing about your sincerity based on your vital signs & demeanor, so tell the truth & be cool.

If they are polygraphing you that is a very good sign that you are a good candidate in their eyes.

Good luck & God bless! :up:

I disagree. What's wrong with LEO's and those upon whom the law will be enforced having at least somewhat open discussions in a public forum? If there was less public mistrust of LEO's, things would go much smoother in general.

Very good point.