I got bored not too long ago and decided to try to take a little off the back of my old factory stock. Today I got to wondering if anybody else had tried something like this. Stock was cut with a jigsaw (although that might not have been the best choice) and the wood is a piece of madrone with a couple coats of dark poly/stain.

Blah blah blah not a US made part, watch your 922® compliance blah blah.

post-11079-1252086502_thumb.jpg

post-11079-1252086766_thumb.jpg

That's an interesting idea, have you shot it yet? How does it feel? Any better balance than an unmodified stock? Is it removable, and if so have you filled it with any thing or do you plan on it? I have hear if you fill it with foam it feel much better.

And what is that on the but stock, packing tape?

That's an interesting idea, have you shot it yet? How does it feel? Any better balance than an unmodified stock? Is it removable, and if so have you filled it with any thing or do you plan on it? I have hear if you fill it with foam it feel much better.

Feels slightly more rounded than the original (because I like my shoulder). Surface is what you would expect of polyurethaned wood. It is friction fitted so it can be pulled off and potentially have things stuffed in there. If I knew what I wanted to put in there I would make a foamed cavity for it so that it didn't knock around but I haven't figured out what to stick in there yet.

Balance seems to have improved over the pre-mod factory stock. No surprise there; it lost three inches OAL and gained an ounce or two on the back.

The green stuff is 100mph ducktape over 0mph sleeping mat foam. Difficult and complex step by step instructions for making a similar cheekrest are included in the attached JPEG.

I have not actually shot it... this demands *cough* further research. :ph34r:

For SCIENCE! *Grabs up his rifle and runs off into the woods*

-----

Well, I went frolicking and rolling through the forest having a jolly goo... er... I mean I conducted serious and thorough scientific testing in a controlled range environment and came to the following conclusions. The modified stock was quite comfortable to shoot in all positions, without noticeable bite. The friction fitting, while feeling reasonably tight, managed to fail when testing became more... vigorous. Oh, the joys of R&D. :ded:

I would suggest adding a line of soft tape around the part that sits inside the stock to increase stickiness at the very least, or possibly drilling a hole for a screw either where the original buttplate screws were or on the side. I myself plan to add a spring loaded catch that can be opened with a bullet tip, but it might have to wait for the next time I am bored and full of coffee.

post-11079-1252115424_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

well i was bored with the factory stock on my 308. working the rest of the conversion and wanted to try something different.

R0010597.jpg

cut grip section from oem stock and cut sections from donor stock

R0010599.jpg

redneck plastic weld in new sections

R0010600.jpg

R0010601.jpg

sand like crazy

R0010602.jpg

bondo and sand some more

R0010604.jpg

finally paint with spray bedliner

• Like 1

Feels slightly more rounded than the original (because I like my shoulder). Surface is what you would expect of polyurethaned wood. It is friction fitted so it can be pulled off and potentially have things stuffed in there. If I knew what I wanted to put in there I would make a foamed cavity for it so that it didn't knock around but I haven't figured out what to stick in there yet.

Balance seems to have improved over the pre-mod factory stock. No surprise there; it lost three inches OAL and gained an ounce or two on the back.

The green stuff is 100mph ducktape over 0mph sleeping mat foam. Difficult and complex step by step instructions for making a similar cheekrest are included in the attached JPEG.

I have not actually shot it... this demands *cough* further research. :ph34r:

For SCIENCE! *Grabs up his rifle and runs off into the woods*

-----

Well, I went frolicking and rolling through the forest having a jolly goo... er... I mean I conducted serious and thorough scientific testing in a controlled range environment and came to the following conclusions. The modified stock was quite comfortable to shoot in all positions, without noticeable bite. The friction fitting, while feeling reasonably tight, managed to fail when testing became more... vigorous. Oh, the joys of R&D. :ded:

I would suggest adding a line of soft tape around the part that sits inside the stock to increase stickiness at the very least, or possibly drilling a hole for a screw either where the original buttplate screws were or on the side. I myself plan to add a spring loaded catch that can be opened with a bullet tip, but it might have to wait for the next time I am bored and full of coffee.

Funnt post! Good shit! I like this guy! ^ lol

I have shortened one for a good friend's 410 once. It came out pretty nice. I actually cut about 1.5" out of the rear portion, and then reattached the original butt, after cutting it laterally and shortening it so it mated back up nice with the shorter front section. There's a thread about it somewhere with good pics.

Looks like you got the job done though.

I would like to applaud Smartbomb on his pioneering use of Bondo and truck bed liner.

Forgot to post this before. Latch mechanism is made from a nail and a retractable pen spring with a nut for a bushing. The other side is held with a fixed post as I found I could twist the cap off after the latch was installed.

I'll have to see what I can come up with to top that shovel handle...

post-11079-12563828671487_thumb.jpg