Is this a good deal on Draco pistol?

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

also most of the dracos already have an underfolder rear trunnion.

Posted Images

I'm really intruigued with the possibility of getting one of these to create a SBR out of. What would need to be done to the rear to fix a stock to it? I assume there is no tang of any kind present?

They're reported to have an underfolder rear block in them from the factory.

These instructions are for educational purposes or for when you get your approved form 1.

1) Knock off existing rivets

2) Remove existing rear block

3) weld up existing holes

4) install fixed stock tang

5) install the stock of your choice.

Draco with an attached forgrip.. does that become an AOW - I'm not saying I'll do this...

/rants and thinking out loud - finished...

Yep.. Verticle grip equals AOW.... Doesn't that suck! I'm wondering if it's legal to change the muzzle device? You can buy comps and stuff for other pistols, so I would think it would be okay. Mine came with the muzzle device tack welded, so I'll leave it be.

I'm really intruigued with the possibility of getting one of these to create a SBR out of. What would need to be done to the rear to fix a stock to it? I assume there is no tang of any kind present?

They're reported to have an underfolder rear block in them from the factory.

These instructions are for educational purposes or for when you get your approved form 1.

1) Knock off existing rivets

2) Remove existing rear block

3) weld up existing holes

4) install fixed stock tang

5) install the stock of your choice.

Or drill and tap a couple holes and mount an Ace style stock. The trunion back plate seems to be thick enough(3/8 or so).

I'm wondering if it's legal to change the muzzle device? You can buy comps and stuff for other pistols, so I would think it would be okay.

As long as the muzzle device isn't an unregistered sound suppressor, it's quit legal (at least in the free states).

picked up mine today a nice piece of work, all nice straight and true ,no under folder trunnion in it (wouldn`t want one any way)ordered up a Krebs adapter 24 X 1.5 mm RH to 14 X 1 mm LH and a Bulgarian 4 piece Krinkov flash suppressor/ compensator for it along with a new grip as the original is too small for my hand now all i need to get is a swivel for the rear trunnion and a strap for it along with a few more steel mags :victory:

Noticed this at AK builder:

AK-Builder Pistol Trunnion

That should take care of the sling, eh?

Hell. I just drilled a hole in mine last night and mounted a universal swivel with a nut on it. I drilled my hole a little further down so I can mount an Ace style stock later if I want. I was going to tap it but my tap set is crappy and dull.I'll get a pic up later.

Okay I have convinced myself I cannot live without one of these. I'm going to call my usual gun shop that is almost always the lowest price I can find. If he doesn't have one I'm thinking I go with J&G. I can wait till November. Anyone know if there's any place that has a better deal?

This thing will definitely get a tax stamp!

That looks pretty good, man. You'll have to let us know how well that setup works. That position for the swivel, (and that same model of swivel), are what I have ready for my Draco as soon as it arrives.

Works great. I can actually use the sights now. However, the sight/gas block is canted so I will have to try and rectify that some day. Otherwise, this thing kicks ass.

Okay I have convinced myself I cannot live without one of these. I'm going to call my usual gun shop that is almost always the lowest price I can find. If he doesn't have one I'm thinking I go with J&G. I can wait till November. Anyone know if there's any place that has a better deal?

This thing will definitely get a tax stamp!

That is the best deal I have found and is definitely worth waiting for. But I would pre-order or you might not get one. I have seen them for $400 at Classic, but I think they went up.

Now that I have taken it out a couple times, I'm thinking tax stamp too. :super:

What's that thing on the front of his bottom rail in the last pic? Something that's technically not a fvg? :D

Anyway, on Monday I received the Draco I ordered. It seems I got unlucky and got one of the "bad" ones. It had some fundamental flaws that I won't accept. the major problem was that the gap between the rear sight block and front trunnion was over twice what it should be, you could easily look through it. The fsb/gas block was also slightly canted and due to the combination of these issues, the gas tube had a bit of side-to-side play to it.

The good news is that the guys at Classic are very reasonable and I advise any others who notice some significant problems, (not cosmetic shit, ya gotta expect that on a Romy), with their Draco when they first receive it, to call Classic and let em know. They were willing to replace mine with a hand-picked Draco, but, due to Arsenal's sale, (which started 1 day after I'd ordered the Draco :angry: ), I had to ask for a refund, which they were willing to do.

I'd have accepted a hand-picked replacement, but I couldn't pass up a SGL-21 for ~$500 and I don't currently have enough money for both. :( The fact that the Draco had problems just made the decision that much easier.

If Dracos are still around at the end of the year, I plan to pick one up then.

Edited by post-apocalyptic

Well it's technically a handstop not a vertical foregrip... :rolleyes: Dumb laws, not sure how the feds would view that one tho.

Thats too bad about the Draco, I've been seriously considering picking one up. If they were that cool about everything and offered to send you a hand picked one it does seem like Classic is definitely the way to go if i do grab one

Yeah those $500 SGL-21s are a smoking deal. I too have been thinking about that. I want an SBR though. I might yet get one of the SGL's though. I hope I don't have issues if I order a draco.

If you do have "issues" with your Draco, give Classic a call, (assuming that who you bought it from). As I said, they really are quite reasonable and will do what it takes to satisfy you as a customer.

I finally took mine to the range. If I used it on a home invader, it would be very effective, because he would be deaf, blind, and on fire. Unbelievable fireballs, and particles of burning powder out of this thing. Definitely fire with mouth closed.

Did you have any kind of flash hider or other muzzle device on the Draco when you shot it?

Very cool video, hopping1. :up:

I took my SGL-21 out today, (around dusk), and dumped a 75-round drum through her, (both aimed and from the hip), at a couple old CRT monitors and other assorted crap. Most of the hip-shooting was so that I could easily admire the muzzle flash, but I'm decently accurate firing that way, especially when I have 75 rounds to work with. :D

The amount of muzzle flash my rifle generates, (with the same type of brake), is a little less than your Draco, but the difference is smaller than I expected, (considering my SGL's barrel is ~6" longer). How much bigger is the Draco's flash without any muzzle device attached?

I have been trying to get a hold of my usual gun dealer to see if he has one in stock (he more often than not has the best price on things anyways). If he doesn't I'll order online.

Looks like a flash hider is in order, or better yet a suppressor :super: In time that is what I'd actually like to do. I have a few unfinished gun projects and then I plan to turn my attention to suppressors and perhaps other NFA goodness.

$200 tax stamp Aimpoint $600 suppressor aprox $800 + $200 to uncle sam, flashlight $200ish, plus the stuff to mount them all. That $340 pistol is going to get expensive real fast :ded:

Oh well life is too short to not have an uber sweet AK and I'll be able to make "traditionlists" and anti's wet themselves.

First things first I need to get one of these before I send off anymore of my discretionary funds to CSS for more Saiga goodies.

Very cool video, hopping1. :up:

I took my SGL-21 out today, (around dusk), and dumped a 75-round drum through her, (both aimed and from the hip), at a couple old CRT monitors and other assorted crap. Most of the hip-shooting was so that I could easily admire the muzzle flash, but I'm decently accurate firing that way, especially when I have 75 rounds to work with. :D

The amount of muzzle flash my rifle generates, (with the same type of brake), is a little less than your Draco, but the difference is smaller than I expected, (considering my SGL's barrel is ~6" longer). How much bigger is the Draco's flash without any muzzle device attached?

We didn't get any video because it was fun to look at the flash. But it was about 1/3 to 1/2 the size with no brake at all. Plus the 74 brake directs the flash to the sides, and makes it a more concentrated blast. And with no brake it was more of a fire ball at the end of the barrel.

Yeah, I spose the 74 brake doesn't do much to hide flash, just helps tame muzzle rise. It may even make muzzle flash more noticable, (except to the shooter), than it would be using no muzzle device at all. I was just suprised that the flash from my SGL was so comparable to the flash from your Draco's much shorter barrel. *shrug*

Anyway.. next time I decide to dump another drum, especially at dusk, I'll make sure someone there has a camera :killer:

So now that you've spent some time shooting the Draco with a sling and brake.. how controllable do you find it to be when fired fairly rapidly?

Still not as controllable as my x39, but I now have a huge respect for that AK74 brake. I might have to get one for the x39 too. The sling helps a lot, but i wouldn't try to engage any zombies past 50 yards or so. At least not smart, fast zombies. Maybe Shawn of the Dead zombies though. I'm still thinking SBR some day.

I am so torn!

I have been thinking about going 5.45, then the SGL20's went on sale. Then I saw this pistol.

This thing looks pretty sweet. I already have everything I need to convert another Saiga rifle, but I don't think I am going to see a deal on the SGL's like this again. Then on the other (third, lol) hand, that Draco pistol looks so bad ass :super:

What do you guys think? SGL, or draco?

I feel the prices on the Saiga rifles won't be climbing up any time soon. I was going to get a 5.45 to get cheaper ammo, but prices on x39 has been creeping back down. That is why I am looking to just stay in the same caliber now. I guess I could get a x39 to convert and a Draco for around the price of the SGL, but it would be nice to have at least one rifle welded up right.

UGH, this is killing me, LOL!:ded:

Edited by Moe Zambeak

I am so torn!

I have been thinking about going 5.45, then the SGL20's went on sale. Then I saw this pistol.

This thing looks pretty sweet. I already have everything I need to convert another Saiga rifle, but I don't think I am going to see a deal on the SGL's like this again. Then on the other (third, lol) hand, that Draco pistol looks so bad ass :super:

What do you guys think? SGL, or draco?

I feel the prices on the Saiga rifles won't be climbing up any time soon. I was going to get a 5.45 to get cheaper ammo, but prices on x39 has been creeping back down. That is why I am looking to just stay in the same caliber now. I guess I could get a x39 to convert and a Draco for around the price of the SGL, but it would be nice to have at least one rifle welded up right.

UGH, this is killing me, LOL!:ded:

IMO

If you get a Draco, count on a $200 tax stamp and an Ace style stock so it can be an SBR. The SGL series is a smoking deal though and I have been thinking about getting one, even though funds will not allow for a while. If you already have a X39, maybe you can sell it and get both. Just keep in mind that the Draco has no rail mount on the side of the receiver, so optics are going to be more tricky. But if LaRue re-releases the Iron Dot, the Draco would be a perfect candidate. Again just my opinion.

dracoe.jpg

OR

SGL20-22.jpg

If you are going to keep your X39 than go for the Draco. Who doesn't need an SBR?