Screw On Chokes

Hi,

First post here but have been reading for a while. And I can't seem to find a definitive answer.

I am looking to choke my gun, but I am not sure which would work the best. The three choices I see are the Russian kit on saigastock, the polychoke, and the screw on adapter from akbuilder that will accept winchokes. I have heard mixed things about the poly choke and very little on the other two. Is there a preference for either one? Oh, and I really don't want to mess with the hassle right now of getting a barrel internally threaded.

Here's more info on the AK Builder choke adapters I'm carrying....

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=43443

They will also be available soon with custom milled ports in the sides of the adapter.

I've got a polychoke - works well, but it's ugly - this looks interesting:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=141496659

I've got a bunch of remchokes. without the extended knurled part, the winchokes just seem too short to me.

If you've got a bunch of remchokes I can see why that one would be attractive to you. It's an inch longer, and costs twice as much, but at least it uses chokes you've already got.

Winchokes are shorter, but they do work very well. I kinda like the shorter part.

I also have a Polychoke. It works very well and I love being able to instantly adjust it by hand. Sure, using Win/Rem chokes with internal threading may work a little better, but I have no interest in the hassle of threading the interior of the barrel, nor of having to stop, take out a tool, and spend a min+ changing from one choke to another.

To each his own, but my advice is to just buy a Polychoke and be done with it.

I've got a polychoke - works well, but it's ugly - this looks interesting:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=141496659

I've got a bunch of remchokes. without the extended knurled part, the winchokes just seem too short to me.

If you've got a bunch of remchokes I can see why that one would be attractive to you. It's an inch longer, and costs twice as much, but at least it uses chokes you've already got.

Winchokes are shorter, but they do work very well. I kinda like the shorter part.

There seem to be more types of chokes available in remchokes for less $$$$ than winchokes - and a longer choke is well known to deliver better performance. As I said, the Polychoke seems to work well to change your choke quickly, but when I did pattern mine, it wasn't very uniformly spread, and it tended to run a choke or so "lighter" than what the choke indicated. I think it's OK for buckshot, but I don't think it's as good as a regular fixed choke for anything else. And to top it all off, as I said, the damn thing is ugly. YMMV.

As far as length, the 19" barrel on the S12 with any/all of the options really isn't an issue for me. I've got an SBS S12 for that.

I was thinking about getting a choke adapter to use my saiga 12 with a rifled tube as a deer slug gun instead of my 870 rifled barrel I've got - I figure a 5-round mag of slugs beats the pump (don't think 20 slugs is required. . . for deer), and I also think the S12 would be a kick ass turkey gun - that's why I patterned my Polychoke last spring. It had a crappy pattern compared to the remchoke extended turkey tube, so I used the 870 instead. But, with all the remchokes I've got, that choke adapter looks interesting.

I might email that guy and see what the deal is on that remchoke adapter. It sure is the coolest looking option.

I also have a Polychoke. It works very well and I love being able to instantly adjust it by hand. Sure, using Win/Rem chokes with internal threading may work a little better, but I have no interest in the hassle of threading the interior of the barrel, nor of having to stop, take out a tool, and spend a min+ changing from one choke to another.

To each his own, but my advice is to just buy a Polychoke and be done with it.

You don't need a tool. I don't. I switched back and forth between mine with the supplied flush fit full choke and the stock ring (when using slugs), and that only took a few seconds. just leave the choke in the adapter and thread the adapter on and off. It will stay put with a good hand snug. The knurling is pretty grippy. Admittedly it would take longer than the poly choke to switch between one choke and another, but you can get a lot more options with the adapter, including rifled chokes for the slugs.

It would be cool if it took winchokes and looked like that one on gunbroker. I will probably be jealous of the fancy looking slotted ones that cobra just teased.

As for the length of choke, there are a ton of winchoke options that extend past flush, so that seems to me a non-issue, unless it is important to you that the whole choke is inside the adapter.

Hi,

First post here but have been reading for a while. And I can't seem to find a definitive answer.

I am looking to choke my gun, but I am not sure which would work the best. The three choices I see are the Russian kit on saigastock, the polychoke, and the screw on adapter from akbuilder that will accept winchokes. I have heard mixed things about the poly choke and very little on the other two. Is there a preference for either one? Oh, and I really don't want to mess with the hassle right now of getting a barrel internally threaded.

Remchoke adapter inbound - I'll try to post a report next week. Straight shooting seller - will take it back AFTER I SHOOT IT if I don't like it. Told me he was going to relist it at $100 with a $125 buy-it-now, so we split the difference and he let me have it for $115 shipped (I hate that whole bidding BS). Never answered my question on how many he has - said "we had some made up for our guys and these were extras."

Broke down and ordered an extended rifled tube as well. I've been casting some 1 oz slugs from a Lee mold - they turn out well - anyone have a favorite load for those that crimps well and will load and feed through an MD20 drum?

Got the Remchoke adapter - it is pretty sweet. We've got a youth hunt with the boys this weekend so I might not get to shoot it, but I'll be keeping it. The threads are perfect, it locks on solidly, my remchokes fit perfectly. Just what I need. Looks cool as a bonus. Well worth it to me. If you want one of these, I'd make the leap before he runs out - sounds like a short run, and he'll take it back if you don't like it. Doubt he's had any takers - glad I got it.

Codebrown,I have used the Lee 1oz slugs.The load info that comes on the instructions is great and will work in the drum fine.W AA12 wads over Herco or blue-dot will get you 1590-1690fps.

five-0 - thanks - I've tried some loads with 800x and get a good velocity and seem to be accurate, but the crimps are touchy and I've been using a cut-off base of a 16 g. wad as a spacer over the slug to get a good crimp. What exact configuration have you had good luck with?

CB

Codebrown,I have used the Lee 1oz slugs.The load info that comes on the instructions is great and will work in the drum fine.W AA12 wads over Herco or blue-dot will get you 1590-1690fps.

five-0 - thanks - I've tried some loads with 800x and get a good velocity and seem to be accurate, but the crimps are touchy and I've been using a cut-off base of a 16 g. wad as a spacer over the slug to get a good crimp. What exact configuration have you had good luck with?

CB

Your using a spacer over the slug? :unsure:

CB

Your using a spacer over the slug? :unsure:

Yup - the design of the Lee slug has it work best with the slug sitting down in the shot cup of a trap wad - the wad engages the rifling in a rifled barrel or tube and acts as a sabot. With a spacer in the wad under the slug (recc in lyman load book), I get erratic groups; with an additional spacer under the wad (gas seal or fiber wad) I get erratic velocities. I've tried different hulls and wads, and the best combo of crimp and groups works well with a spacer over the top of the slug in the wad. Anyway, maybe I'll search for a slug loading thread or start one instead of hijacking this guys post - sorry.

THE REMCHOKE ADAPTER WORKS GREAT. Shot it with a box each of trap and pheasant loads, and a 10 rd mag each of 00 and #4 buck. I compared the patterns on some big pieces of cardboard (polychoke and Remchoke) - the patterns with the remchoke tubes were better centered and seemed more uniform. Then I shot the shit out of 4 pieces of cardboard, 5 rounds of buck apiece - one each without choke (std IZ-109 19" cyl bore), and then 1 each with remchoke adapter and imp. mod choke - made a hell of a difference, maybe was even too tight, but I was only shooting those at 20-25 yards. wish I would have had a camera.

Whatever choke setup you choose, be sure to pattern your gun - it's enlightening.

We need an adapter reminiscent of a Warthog or Shark that will take readily available choke tubes. Hint, hint, Tony, Cameron.

definitely,i love my shark break but pulling it off to use a choke sucks. multi purpose brake wanted.thanks op,great topic .

I'm using the Poly Choke II from Mississippi Auto Arms. Great choke. Little bit of a pain in the butt to clean out those small slots but it works great.

Yep, the vented Polychoke II works very well. I got sick of the unnecessary added length and serious pain in the ass of cleaning the carbon out of the small, (and sharp!), vents, so I sold mine.

I'm planning to replace it with a non-vented Polychoke II.