Just how good are they?

How good are the SAI-A2 Saiga 30-rd. mags. by Pro Mag? I just got four and wondering if I can get better for my toy? She deserves good lovin' :killer: I've heard so much about Surefire did I screw up? :unsure: Thanks!

I have several and they work fine in both my converted 7.62's with bullet guides, no worries...

How good are the SAI-A2 Saiga 30-rd. mags. by Pro Mag? I just got four and wondering if I can get better for my toy? She deserves good lovin' :killer: I've heard so much about Surefire did I screw up? :unsure: Thanks!

I have several and they work fine in both my converted 7.62's with bullet guides, no worries...

So I got to put the bullet guides in?

If you're not putting in a bullet guide, sorry to say but yes- you screwed up. My advice would be to either refuse the delivery, or just send them back unopened for a refund.

ProMags are complete and utter shit! They are ill concieved and poorly constructed.

With a bullet guide, they will at least feed (allegedly), and can be used. That is, as long as you don't mind a good "healthy" dose of lateral play and rattling. I'm not even going to touch the well known spring issue- that would just be too easy.

In a nutshell, and summation: ProMag=fecal matter.

I use my two mistakes to practice tactical mag changes at home... That's all they're good for, besides being a $40 some dollar hard lesson...

Edited by bohound
  • Like 2

I agree completely with bohound. It seems to be a hit and miss situation, but out of the 8 that I had, all 8 where no good in my opinion. If you are going to do the bullet guide, you might as well run cheep efective steel com-block mags. I found some a month or so ago for $8. Surefire's on the other hand are very good quality, and I have never had a single problem with the one I have.

If you're not putting in a bullet guide, sorry to say but yes- you screwed up. My advice would be to either refuse the delivery, or just send them back unopened for a refund.

ProMags are complete and utter shit! They are ill concieved and poorly constructed.

With a bullet guide, they will at least feed (allegedly), and can be used. That is, as long as you don't mind a good "healthy" dose of lateral play and rattling. I'm not even going to touch the well known spring issue- that would just be too easy.

In a nutshell, and summation: ProMag=fecal matter.

I use my two mistakes to practice tactical mag changes at home... That's all they're good for, besides being a $40 some dollar hard lesson...

GO BOHOUND! Don't hold back! Tell us how you really feel!

I agree totally. ProMags are 100% shit.gifbull.gifshit.gif

^ Yep. Steel combloc mags are cheap and reliable. If you'd prefer a polymer mag, go with some Bulgarian circle-10's, (these have steel reinforcement). Both of these mag types were actually meant for military use.

If you cannot do simple math and choose to use US made mags, the Surefires (any caliber) and Master Molders (7.62x39) don't suck (they're nowhere near as good as commie milspec/milsurp, but they're usable).

^ Yep. Steel combloc mags are cheap and reliable. If you'd prefer a polymer mag, go with some Bulgarian circle-10's, (these have steel reinforcement). Both of these mag types were actually meant for military use.

Where can I find these mags? :eek:

I/O has steel Romanian mags for $7 each. thats the current cheapest price. I cannot list a URL due to forum policy, but PM me and Ill send it to you.

Hey post-apocalyptic, I found some thanks for the info. :dollar: Thanks Big Sal, I wanta check them out to!

Where can I find these mags? :eek:

I'm selling a set of 5 new Bulgarian Circle 10s with a 5 call bag on GB right now... Cheaper than anyone, BTW! I like my steel.

Yes steel first, steel last, steel always. The advantages are too great for any reasonable debate.

Except that Bulgarian circle-10 poly mags are overall better, imo. They're lighter and almost as strong as steel mags. Steel mags would be my second, (and admittedly far cheaper), preference.

I don't own any US-made all-poly mags. They're a complete waste of money.

Edited by post-apocalyptic

Yes steel first, steel last, steel always. The advantages are too great for any reasonable debate.

Except that Bulgarian circle-10 poly mags are overall better, imo. They're lighter and almost as strong as steel mags. Steel mags would be my second, (and admittedly far cheaper), preference.

What they lack in the strength of steel, they make up by not denting as easily.

What they lack in the strength of steel, they make up by not denting as easily.

Exactly. And they've got steel reinforcement where it counts. Honestly, circle-10's are the overall best AK mags I've ever owned. I'm pretty fond of em, (got about a dozen).

Bulgy polymer >US Tapco >Master Molder

Just as far as polymer mags go, anyways. I've never had any troubles with my tapco mags, they are very durable, and always 100% reliable.

Steel is outdated. They are reliable, yes, but as far as durability goes, they will dent, crush, and bend while the polymers will not.

Just don't drop the gun on it's buttstock from 6 feet up loaded with a full tapco mag, lol.

Edited by Sharker524

Good you tube review of ProMag vs Surefire, just search youtube for "A Few Things To Note: Saiga AK-47 .223"

Basically, he likes the Surefire a LOT more than the ProMag

I concur. Surefire knows what they're doing. ProMag needs to fess up that their design blows and go back to the drawing board (ESPECIALLY for shotgun mags). There's nothing wrong with polymer magazines. Look at how desirable bakelite and Bulgarian waffle mags have become. If you shoot 7.62x39, Tapco, yes, good old "crapco" actually makes great polymer AK mags. I've got a shelf full of 'em. Drop 'em in the dirt and step on 'em and generally use them rough, and I've yet to have a single problem.

I have to say I disagree a little with Post-apoc and Nalioth...while I do own several steel combloc mags, when it comes to actually shooting the rifle...I always use my polymers. They're much lighter (about half the weight), and now that I own a very light AR-15, I've come to realize what a problem the weight is on an AK. They're just friggin heavy guns. I will do anything I can to minimize weight without compromising the functionality or reliability of the weapon.

As for the polymers I own, I've got the Thermold, Surefire, and Tapco, and thus far my favorite is actually the Tapco. I do like the Surefire's built in bolt hold open though, that's a pretty cool feature, especially when you do the safety lever BHO mod...when the mag is empty, the bolt stays back, you flip up the safety, drop the mag, pop in a new one, and just click the safety down--bolt slams shut. Pretty rock and roll. And the Surefire works great with my home-made bullet guide (I'm not sure if it works with Dinzag's).

Edited by Bizzarolibe
  • 2 weeks later...

I hate to rain on your anti Pro Mag parade bohound and Nalioth but I like Pro Mag products and have been satisfied with their magazines. The work flawlessly and the Mini-14 polymer ones also drop freely from the rifle. If their magazines were as bad as you both claim I would be there bashing them with the two of you. By the way if you have any of the allegedly crappy Pro Mag magazines, I'll be glad to take them off your hands so you'll feel better.

I have a Pro Mag S-12 magazine and unlike the AGP magazine (which is a great one) I didn't have to break it in. It worked flawlessly the first time I used it and I never had any problem with it.

I hate to rain on your anti Pro Mag parade bohound and Nalioth but I like Pro Mag products and have been satisfied with their magazines. The work flawlessly and the Mini-14 polymer ones also drop freely from the rifle. If their magazines were as bad as you both claim I would be there bashing them with the two of you. By the way if you have any of the allegedly crappy Pro Mag magazines, I'll be glad to take them off your hands so you'll feel better.

I have a Pro Mag S-12 magazine and unlike the AGP magazine (which is a great one) I didn't have to break it in. It worked flawlessly the first time I used it and I never had any problem with it.

A broken clock is right twice a day.

Sounds like you need to quit buying Pro-Mags and play the lottery instead . .

A broken clock is right twice a day.

Sounds like you need to quit buying Pro-Mags and play the lottery instead . .

lol :D

Yep. uzitiger, you're the luckiest ProMag customer on Earth. I am not a fan of their products. In my experience AGP mags are noticeably superior to ProMags. Over both of those brands, I prefer Surefire S-12 mags. They require no "tuning", (as the ProMags and AGP's usually do), and lock/release from the magwell more quickly and naturally.

Of course, Izhmash mags are the very best... but we all know how rare and expensive Izhmash 8-round S-12 mags are in the US. :(

Edited by post-apocalyptic

I have tried ProMag too many times over the years to given them a chance to screw me out of my money again.

If you are having good luck with them, I am happy for you. But, that is certainly not the norm with their products.