I wanna chrome bolt carrier

You posted this twice. You should go back and delete the other one before people start posting in it too.

You can either bead blast it (like mine were done), or sand it down by hand..... and then hand polish it.

There's also another method I learned from Dinzag. It can be stripped down and then painted with an aluminum oxide hi temp engine enamel. I bought some for this but haven't tried it yet. I'll probably be doing it soon and posting pics in my Business Forum.

I can do yours too if you send it to me.

• Like 1

I did this to my S-12, but the process is the same..

This is a good after work project, crack open a beer, throw in Full Metal Jacket and get to work. A dremel speeds up the process but is not needed. I first stripped off the old paint with some 600grit wet, then moved to a #425 dremel wheel which is impregnated with emery to remove the paint that remained in the hard to reach places and to smooth out the 600grit marks. I then went to another polishing tip similar to the #425 but with a larger polishing surface and went over the entire bolt carrier again (not sure on the bit number).. Then i used 1000grit wet then went to 1500grit wet.. i then used some mothers mag and aluminum polish with some felt wheels to give her a nice shine.. I am going to re sand everything with 2000wet to give it a better shine

Everything turned out great and full mags now load much easier

here is a very horrible cell phone pic

IMAG0133-1.jpg

and one with the dust cover on

IMAG0134-1.jpg

if you have any doubts on your ability then send it off to one of our sponsors (Cobra) as he does fine work

hope this helps

Edited by presto_z

i was reading in the 223 thread and another user mentioned he used the Citrus Stripper available in a spray can at wal mart. was stated that it took about 20 minutes and came clean quick. i have used the citrus strippers on other things before and they are really effective.

i tried to get one hard chromed i must have called 30 places all i got was no because it was a gun part.

Poke around on the XD Forum. You might find something there, and I know there are one or two guys that do professional-grade polish jobs that look as good or better than chrome.

Edited by JanusthePhoenix

Some people do it because they want to replicate a classic AK appearance. Some AKs come from the factory with chromed bolt carriers, like the Norinco 84S for one...I believe the Yugo AKs also come with chrome BCs.

A real chromed BC will have less resistance because of it's more slick surface. Even a parked or painted one, that has been stripped down and polished will be less prone to friction, making it cycle a little better perhaps. With AK rifles, cycling isn't much of an issue, but with Saiga shotguns it makes one hell of a difference if there is less friction on the bolt and carrier.

I'm linking to another post I just made about doing it mainly for appearance....("it" meaning taking the factory enamel off and polishing)

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=46153&pid=425096&st=0entry425096

Some people do it because they want to replicate a classic AK appearance. Some AKs come from the factory with chromed bolt carriers, like the Norinco 84S for one...I believe the Yugo AKs also come with chrome BCs.

A real chromed BC will have less resistance because of it's more slick surface. Even a parked or painted one, that has been stripped down and polished will be less prone to friction, making it cycle a little better perhaps. With AK rifles, cycling isn't much of an issue, but with Saiga shotguns it makes one hell of a difference if there is less friction on the bolt and carrier.

I'm linking to another post I just made about doing it mainly for appearance....("it" meaning taking the factory enamel off and polishing)

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=46153&pid=425096&st=0entry425096

I'd like mine to be at least silver to mimic the AK. Let me know how the silver paint enamel works. I don't think I have the patientce to sand the whole thing and polish it.

http://forum.saiga-1...=0entry425096

I'd like mine to be at least silver to mimic the AK. Let me know how the silver paint enamel works. I don't think I have the patientce to sand the whole thing and polish it.

Here's how the enamel came out on a couple I did the other day. I like it myself. I also heard back from dinzag about some of his he did like this, and they are still looking good after much use. I put a 30 rd mag though my 5.45 yesterday and there's no noticeable wear on the visible part of the bolt carrier as seen here...

post-1293-1256494848945_thumb.jpg

post-1293-12564950041758_thumb.jpg

More pictures are posted here >> http://forum.saiga-1...=0entry427172

• Like 1

http://forum.saiga-1...=0entry425096

Here's how the enamel came out on a couple I did the other day. I like it myself. I also heard back from dinzag about some of his he did like this, and they are still looking good after much use. I put a 30 rd mag though my 5.45 yesterday and there's no noticeable wear on the visible part of the bolt carrier as seen here...

post-1293-1256494848945_thumb.jpg

post-1293-12564950041758_thumb.jpg

More pictures are posted here >> http://forum.saiga-1...=0entry427172

Thanks. That looks real nice. And you say the action is still pretty smooth?

The finish on my bolt was very thin. Used a polishing wheel and the pink and white

polishing sticks (available at any truckstop btw) and it polished up as nice as

chrome. Cleaned it off and keep a light lube on it so it dont rust. No pics now

,I'm at work.

Edited by whitetrashrn
  • 5 weeks later...

for the luv of God why?! some hard working russians painted your bolt carrier...is it broken...gun not shoot???? leave alone!!!!!...

Honestly, "leave alone" is not something that we do well here... :lolol:

• Like 3

for the luv of God why?! some hard working russians painted your bolt carrier...is it broken...gun not shoot???? leave alone!!!!!...

Honestly, "leave alone" is not something that we do well here... :lolol:

haha yeah.... laughed my ass off at that.

Keep in mind saigas are imported with low quality stocks and HGs with an easily removed trigger plate sticking over the original hole for the sole purpose of being easy to mess with.. They don't expect we will keep them as they are..