Wolf polymer coated FMJ $200/1000

Maybe for SHTF ammo, or to sell in case of another shortage, but unless you have spare parts, avoid wolf.

Their Q.C. is non existent.

Sometimes they mash in primers sideways, sometimes tracers are unmarked & mixed in with regular rounds, ect...

With polymer, I have read about guns blowing up, daisying the barrel "Like bugs bunny put a carrot in it". Upon inspection, the guys find multiple jackets in (what's left of) the barrel.

They do not produce quality ammo.

Maybe for SHTF ammo, or to sell in case of another shortage, but unless you have spare parts, avoid wolf.

Sometimes they mash in primers sideways, sometimes tracers are unmarked & mixed in with regular rounds, ect...

With polymer, I have read about guns blowing up, daisying the barrel "Like bugs bunny put a carrot in it". Upon inspection, the guys find multiple jackets in (what's left of) the barrel.

On the flip side, I've personally put at least 3000 rounds of Wolf through my various AK's in the past couple years and can count the failures on 1 hand, all of which were rounds that failed to fire when struck.

Hmmmm, I would send this case into Mythbusters. See if they can get an AK to daisy with Wolf. It would make for an interesting show.

I've had no problem with Wolf ammo, but I've only fired ~1k rounds of it, (mix of JHP and FMJ). Imo $0.20 per round is a pretty good deal.. but not if that price is only good for "pick up". I need it shipped! :D

I gladly pay a couple more cents a round for Brown Bear. Barnaul ammo is more dependable, (as it's a bit higher quality).

Can you please provide proof to all the statements you made? Links, pictures?

I've never heard that about Wolf, sources please.

Paulyski:> You are right and wrong. Tula Cartridge Works has poor QC, but they put out a fine product. Less than 1/4000 malfunctioning rounds is not bad by Russian standards.

Post_Apocalyptic:> Barnaul manufactures a better product, I agree. Im still not sure why I have to pay .01-.02 cents more for it though. I keep brown bear on hand for fun, but I always hate buying it!

BKLYN_C:> Do a google search with "Tula Cartridge Works" and "FTF". There are a few threads on theAKfiles with customer examples of failure rounds.

:smoke:

Edited by bigsal

...Post_Apocalyptic:> Barnaul manufactures a better product, I agree. Im still not sure why I have to pay .01-.02 cents more for it though. I keep brown bear on hand for fun, but I always hate buying it!...

Yeah, it sucks that Barnaul products are a bit more, but they're still an amazing bargain compared to the cost of US-made 7.62x39 cartridges. :ded: Thank God for Russian imported ammo! :killer:

I'm trying to build up a decent stock of it while it's still available and reasonably priced, (it won't be once Feinstein's upcoming AWB kicks in).

...Post_Apocalyptic:> Barnaul manufactures a better product, I agree. Im still not sure why I have to pay .01-.02 cents more for it though. I keep brown bear on hand for fun, but I always hate buying it!...

Yeah, it sucks that Barnaul products are a bit more, but they're still an amazing bargain compared to the cost of US-made 7.62x39 cartridges. :ded: Thank God for Russian imported ammo! :killer:

I'm trying to build up a decent stock of it while it's still available and reasonably priced, (it won't be once Feinstein's upcoming AWB kicks in).

Agreed. $109 per 500 is the best deal I am finding. When it goes down to 19-20 cents a round I'll buy more. Still, the Yugo surplus stuff is damn tempting at 18 cents a round... I just hate cleaning my rifles after every trip to the woods.

Which of the Russian brands produces for the Russian military? Which for military export to client states? I assume that it is the laquered that is used for both purposes and not the polymer.

The short answer is *ALL* of the major manufacturing plants have produced for the Russian/Soviet military at one point or another. However, the stuff we get here are normally the commercial brands, not the same rounds sold to the military. For example, ap ammo is not imported from Russia currently, despite the fact they produce it for their own military. You cannot get 7N22 or 7N24 5.45x39 rounds here.

Edited by bigsal

Paulski,

I would love to see the raw data that makes you make those statements. I spend a lot of time on the various AK boards (not all, but about 5 or 6) and have NEVER seen any of the posts you refer to.

While I prefer Barnaul, Wolf has performed flawlessly for me in my AKs for thousands of rounds. Their M1 Carbine ammo suffers from short loads, causing short stroking failure to feeds, as does their 223. With 30 carbine, it was 1/10 to 1/30 depending on the day, though I admit my Carbine may not have liked Wolf, as it did not like Aguilla. The 223, though was only a couple/100

7.62x39 Wolf, however, has worked very well for me. I too could probably count the failures on one hand.

Paulski,

I would love to see the raw data that makes you make those statements. I spend a lot of time on the various AK boards (not all, but about 5 or 6) and have NEVER seen any of the posts you refer to.

While I prefer Barnaul, Wolf has performed flawlessly for me in my AKs for thousands of rounds. Their M1 Carbine ammo suffers from short loads, causing short stroking failure to feeds, as does their 223. With 30 carbine, it was 1/10 to 1/30 depending on the day, though I admit my Carbine may not have liked Wolf, as it did not like Aguilla. The 223, though was only a couple/100

7.62x39 Wolf, however, has worked very well for me. I too could probably count the failures on one hand.

My experience with wolf 223 was perfect, I put almost 1000 rounds thru my Mini 14, without a single failure, only issue I noticed was, anyone standing to the right of me while firing was in danger, those steel cases have got some velocity coming out of a Mini.

• Like 1

Which of the Russian brands produces for the Russian military? Which for military export to client states? I assume that it is the laquered that is used for both purposes and not the polymer.

The short answer is *ALL* of the major manufacturing plants have produced for the Russian/Soviet military at one point or another. However, the stuff we get here are normally the commercial brands, not the same rounds sold to the military. For example, ap ammo is not imported from Russia currently, despite the fact they produce it for their own military. You cannot get 7N22 or 7N24 5.45x39 rounds here.

Yeah, I suspected they all have military lines producing for the "home team". In keeping with that, I would suspect that their QC is rather high as our own Lake City/Olin is. I realize the projos are limited in what we can have, but the casing/primer/powder/and laquer are likely the same.

Edited by 690gr

With all the mil-surp hitting the market now I just leave the Wolf alone. Excellent break in ammo though no doubt.

Only ran a few hundred rounds of the stuff but it functioned perfectly as far as going bang every time.

If I had to go steel case again I would pay a penny more and get G.Tiger, easy to store and a bit tighter groups.

Paulski,

My experience with wolf 223 was perfect, I put almost 1000 rounds thru my Mini 14, without a single failure, only issue I noticed was, anyone standing to the right of me while firing was in danger, those steel cases have got some velocity coming out of a Mini.

In fairness to Wolf, that Stag Arms M4gery did not like anything ecept GI M193 or M855 ball. I suspect the recoil spring may have been too stiff.

I buy whatever is cheapest commercial ammo. Lately its been wolf. I currently run wolf .308 through my saiga and today I was using the same wolf ammo out of my friends Remington 700 to get 1 shot hits on clay targets from 100-300yrds. Infact that ammo was used to sight in the rifle a few weeks ago. Not one problem in the 1000 or so rounds I've fired of wolf ammo.

I have shot a shit load of wolf through all of my guns. The only issues I ever had was Military classic that my one of my SKS's didn't like. It runs in the AK's all day.

If you have any problems with Wolf ammo, or your gun blows up and it's due to bad Wolf ammo. Contact Wolf. They will buy back any unfired ammo and if there is proof that their ammo created a dangerous issue I believe they will make it right. They stand behind their product and the few times I called them they were nothing but helpful and did everything to make sure I was happy. I'll buy their stuff anytime.

Edited by SJgunguy24

Yep. the 223 house ammo that Acadamy had on sale last week was made by Barnaul. $3.99 per box was a pretty good deal, my cuz picked up 800 rounds, I just didn't have the funds to spend on any more .223, being as I have several thousand rounds on hand right now. He asked the clerk if they would be running a sale on the x39 stuff, and he said "just keep your eyes peeled on the upcoming sales in the next few weeks.