I work at a dealership and we've done our own repos. We would drive around looking for the car in the middle of the night and when we found it I would be the one that would jump in it and take off. Exciting, in a way, but dangerous. Always in a very bad neighborhood. When we would repo in Jersey (Trenton) I'd just go on luck, speed and darkness so that no one saw me. In Philly I'd pack a sub compact .45 and a full size .40 Not taking any chances.

I understand that some people fall on hard times and we try to work with those people but most of my repos are from people who just dont give a shit and assume the car is their property because they made one $200 payment. Meanwhile when the car is repo's it has 20' rims, a dvd entertainment system and a whole lot of other expansive stuff. I never did understand their priorities.

I was a repo man for 7 years. Started with a collection company, then worked for a bank, and lastly a car dealership. I had my handgun on me always. Like Arik said, some people you feel bad for and will help anyway you can, but other it felt good to throw a huge wrench in there day!

I usually just got a copy of their keys made to just take the car to avoid confrontation and then try to work it out with the person for them to get there car back. But sometimes the key codes get lost or just don't work when you make the key? You have no other choice but to talk to the person. One situation, I was going to repo a girls car and it wasn't the 1st time for her and I couldn't get keys made. Just so happens when I got to her house she was leaving, we followed her. She stopped to pick up a pizza and left the car running outside, got out of my car and in to hers and drove off.

I've been in some hairy situations, too many to put a finger on! I once repoed a car Jersey, not one billboard was in "english" and we were the only 2 "caucasians" around. I drove that car back with no radio in it, that was a long 7 hour drive...

I laugh when I watch those tv shows about repo's. It's all blown out of proportion for tv, just like everything else. I'll tell you one thing I know I wouldn't want to do it in Texas, it's just about legal to kill the repo man down there!!!

I work at a dealership and we've done our own repos. We would drive around looking for the car in the middle of the night and when we found it I would be the one that would jump in it and take off. Exciting, in a way, but dangerous. Always in a very bad neighborhood. When we would repo in Jersey (Trenton) I'd just go on luck, speed and darkness so that no one saw me. In Philly I'd pack a sub compact .45 and a full size .40 Not taking any chances.

I understand that some people fall on hard times and we try to work with those people but most of my repos are from people who just dont give a shit and assume the car is their property because they made one $200 payment. Meanwhile when the car is repo's it has 20' rims, a dvd entertainment system and a whole lot of other expansive stuff. I never did understand their priorities.

Repossessing cars in Jersey and Philly? You're outta your damn mind! :eek:

There's parts of Philly I'd rather not even drive through, let alone be out taking hood rats' cars.

There's parts of Philly I'd rather not even drive through, let alone be out taking hood rats' cars.

LOL True that!! A few years ago my boss and I are sitting in my nice clean Nissan Altima on a side street somewhere around 64th /woodland ave. in W. Philly. And like Chupa said "we were the only 2 "caucasians" around" People are staring at us not sure if we're just 2 idiots or undercover cops. My boss asks if I brought my gun, I said "yea 2 guns". We ended up getting the car without incident but a few times I thought I was going to need a change of undies.

Chupa I do the same thing, just have keys made. Only problem is that some of the cars are not road worthy and you only find out after you start driving.

We had a repo in Trenton last year where a lady was WAAAAY past due on her 97 Windstar (how can some one be so late on a car that is practically worthless now). So here it is 11-12pm we are cruising around side streets in Trenton, everyone and their grandmas are out. (Its a weekday dont people have work the next day?). We are the only 2 white guys and in a 2004 Lexus GX470 SUV (we dont stand out or anything :) ) My boss is waiting for people to clear of the streets so that no one sees us take the car. So now we are driving that block over and over in a giant Lexus SUV. 20min or so later I jump in the car, start and go. Get to the end of the street, hit the breaks....NO BREAKS...!!! Ok no problemo, now I need clean undies. Got to the highway and realize the hood is barely holding on. Drove the car very carefully on Rt1. Good thing it was only a 15min drive.

When we repo cars in Trenton we have to right away go to the police department to report it. I had crack whores come up and offer their services right in front of the Trenton Police station. If anyone ever wants to be able to experience something different and have stories I highly recommend a night job as a repo man!!

Edited by Arik

LOL True that!! A few years ago my boss and I are sitting in my nice clean Nissan Altima on a side street somewhere around 64th /woodland ave. in W. Philly. And like Chupa said "we were the only 2 "caucasians" around" People are staring at us not sure if we're just 2 idiots or undercover cops. My boss asks if I brought my gun, I said "yea 2 guns". We ended up getting the car without incident but a few times I thought I was going to need a change of undies.

Chupa I do the same thing, just have keys made. Only problem is that some of the cars are not road worthy and you only find out after you start driving.

We had a repo in Trenton last year where a lady was WAAAAY past due on her 97 Windstar. So here it is 11-12pm we are cruising around side streets in Trenton, everyone and their grandmas are out. (Its a weekday dont people have work the next day?) the only 2 white guys and in a 2004 Lexus GX470 SUV (we dont stand out or anything :) ) My boss is waiting for people to clear of the streets so that no one sees us take the car. So now we are driving that block over and over in a giant Lexus SUV. 20min or so later I jump in the car, start and go. Get to the end of the street, hit the breaks....NO BREAKS...!!! Ok no problemo, now I need clean undies. Drove the car very carefully on Rt1. Good thing it was only a 15min drive.

When we repo cars in Trenton we have to right away go to the police department to report it. I had crack whores come up and offer their services right in front of the Trenton Police station. If anyone ever wants to be able to experience something different and have stories I highly recommend a night job as a repo man!!

What's a job like that pay?

Do you get combat and hazardous duty pay? What kind of health insurance plan do they have?

Sounds like they should offer SEAL team training. Jesus!

LOL

We had a repo in Trenton last year where a lady was WAAAAY past due on her 97 Windstar. So here it is 11-12pm we are cruising around side streets in Trenton, everyone and their grandmas are out. (Its a weekday dont people have work the next day?) the only 2 white guys and in a 2004 Lexus GX470 SUV (we dont stand out or anything :) ) My boss is waiting for people to clear of the streets so that no one sees us take the car. So now we are driving that block over and over in a giant Lexus SUV. 20min or so later I jump in the car, start and go. Get to the end of the street, hit the breaks....NO BREAKS...!!! Ok no problemo, now I need clean undies. Drove the car very carefully on Rt1. Good thing it was only a 15min drive.

What's a job like that pay?

Do you get combat and hazardous duty pay? What kind of health insurance plan do they have?

Sounds like they should offer SEAL team training. Jesus!

LOL

HAHA

No you just have to be sneaky! Thats why repos are done when you're at work or sound asleep in the middle of the night. A lot of times you spend 2-3 hours trying to find the car and end up going home empty handed cause the person moved, not home, disappeared, quit the job, totaled the car and never reported it. Other nights you pop 2 or 3 in a row. It helps if you can make yourself look like you fit in. No repos at night in khakis, or if its day time make it look like you're getting into your car. Dont act all suspicious, and nervous. I've found that most people, even if they know the owner of the car, wount say anything if you look/act like you're just getting into your car and you happen to look like you live around there.

At that time I had no insurance no hazardous pay. Just OT.

I must have done a miilion repos and I have never had a cnfrontation with the owner. Just have to play it smart. Have to be aware of whats around you. Sometimes its better to come back later or the next night instead of poping it at that moment.

And like Chupa said what you see on TV is all blown out of proportion. They only show you the exciting stuff. That footage might have taken them a month to get. Its all filmed way in advance. If it were live you'd see an hour of 2 or 3 guys driving around and BSing and scratching their asses.

I sued Bank of America in 2001 over a 98 Expedition they wanted to repo. Later, I let them repo the car but I ran up $45,000 in legal fees and forced them to shut down one of their repo resale business's in Seattle...cost me about $300 in copy and filing fees. The car was worth $13,000 (they offered it to me for that to make me go away) I laugh every time I read that someone robs a Bank of America and I wouldn't give a descreption of the robber if they hit my car driving out of the parking lot. Nothing against repo guys who are doing their jobs but the people at Bank of America are fucking crooks...

I did catch the repo guy breaching the peace under WA law but let them have it.

Edited by TO THE FLOOR

HAHA

No you just have to be sneaky! Thats why repos are done when you're at work or sound asleep in the middle of the night. A lot of times you spend 2-3 hours trying to find the car and end up going home empty handed cause the person moved, not home, disappeared, quit the job, totaled the car and never reported it. Other nights you pop 2 or 3 in a row. It helps if you can make yourself look like you fit in. No repos at night in khakis, or if its day time make it look like you're getting into your car. Dont act all suspicious, and nervous. I've found that most people, even if they know the owner of the car, wount say anything if you look/act like you're just getting into your car and you happen to look like you live around there.

At that time I had no insurance no hazardous pay. Just OT.

I must have done a miilion repos and I have never had a cnfrontation with the owner. Just have to play it smart. Have to be aware of whats around you. Sometimes its better to come back later or the next night instead of poping it at that moment.

And like Chupa said what you see on TV is all blown out of proportion. They only show you the exciting stuff. That footage might have taken them a month to get. Its all filmed way in advance. If it were live you'd see an hour of 2 or 3 guys driving around and BSing and scratching their asses.

Honestly, this sounds like a job I'd love to PAY SOMEONE ELSE TO DO!

It sounds cheap at the price. LOL

I forgot to say we slept in the car that night in Jersey to get the car in the morning. Yeah, I am pretty F@ckin' nuts!! Repo Men don't get paid shit.. I also was a bouncer the last 5 years while repoing cars. It was much safer as a bouncer and I got paid "cash money". That was back in my early 20's. I wouldn't change it for anything. Only a few people have experienced "The life of a repo man". I wouldn't do it now with a family, of course.

When your a repo man its better to be sneaky than to be a hard ass!! The hard ass is definitely more likely to be shot.

Ps: I can drive anything, I MEAN ANYTHING!!!! I drove a Mustang GT it was an hour away, it didn't have a clutch. Powershiftin' the whole way.

'

Edited by chupa

I sued Bank of America in 2001 over a 98 Expedition they wanted to repo. Later, I let them repo the car but I ran up $45,000 in legal fees and forced them to shut down one of their repo resale business's in Seattle...cost me about $300 in copy and filing fees. The car was worth $13,000 (they offered it to me for that to make me go away) I laugh every time I read that someone robs a Bank of America and I wouldn't give a descreption of the robber if they hit my car driving out of the parking lot. Nothing against repo guys who are doing their jobs but the people at Bank of America are fucking crooks...

I did catch the repo guy breaching the peace under WA law but let them have it.

I have a friend who used to work for Bank of America and she'd be the first to tell you they're nothing but crooks lol

• Like 1

It Georgia you can not tow a car if the owner is present and objects, unless the tow is being ordered by the police.

Without a pickup order from the court or at least the finance company that is all you are doing, towing/driving someone's car without permission. Many repo guys take shortcuts and never have the paperwork on them, or plan to get it later.

All of this is no excuse for murder, but it will be brought up by the defense.

Edited by Azrial