New 19 inch Saiga 12 has two gas ports?

Hey guys, Just picked up my first Saiga 12 last weekend and here's what I've got going on. The gun only has two gas ports, 3-4 seems to be the norm. Had the thing out today, it would shoot 3 inch no. 4 shot Winchester fine, but when I tried my 2 3/4 Remington 8 shot it would not even eject the round after firing (didn't look like the bolt was even moving). It doesn't help that the two ports I do have can not be seen or felt with a pick when the gas block is on, but am I going to need the extra one or two ports? I dont have a way to measure the ones I do have so no telling if they are any larger. I've searched around a bit but did not find any posts on 19 inch Saiga's with two gas ports, what do you guys think? I toyed with the selector valve to try and get the Remington to run to no avail. Being a skeet and sporting clay's shooter I have a good stock of the Remington and would love to get it to run in the Saiga for when I'm toying around at the range.

I have only seen one other like you are describing. A friend of mine bought his first S-12 this year and got the same exact thing. He brought it over one day and we tore it down and converted it, after testing it and having similar results with the low brass and high brass we had on hand.

We hoped that the mods we did to the action and the new US FCG would be a big improvement on the gun, and it was....but it still wasn't getting near enough gas with only two ports. Before we decided to spend more time on it and add two more ports like it needs, we tested it out with my new choke adapter which allows the use of internal thread winchokes. With a turkey choke screwed in there it cycled the low brass with no problem! :super:

I see this as yet another advantage to using the choke adapter, but to get it to cycle like it should, you really need to get those extra ports added.

Definitely sounds to me like something that should be covered by the warranty and sent off to Tom Cole at Cadiz Gun Works.

There are other things you can do like gunfixr's adjustable gas plug, lighter springs, polishing the bolt carrier and bolt, rails, etc...but it would run better with more gas. Two is not enough.

Hey guys, Just picked up my first Saiga 12 last weekend and here's what I've got going on. The gun only has two gas ports, 3-4 seems to be the norm. Had the thing out today, it would shoot 3 inch no. 4 shot Winchester fine, but when I tried my 2 3/4 Remington 8 shot it would not even eject the round after firing (didn't look like the bolt was even moving). It doesn't help that the two ports I do have can not be seen or felt with a pick when the gas block is on, but am I going to need the extra one or two ports? I dont have a way to measure the ones I do have so no telling if they are any larger. I've searched around a bit but did not find any posts on 19 inch Saiga's with two gas ports, what do you guys think? I toyed with the selector valve to try and get the Remington to run to no avail. Being a skeet and sporting clay's shooter I have a good stock of the Remington and would love to get it to run in the Saiga for when I'm toying around at the range.

I agree with Cobra. If you want to cycle low brass, the gas system will need some work. Ditto on contacting Tom at CGW to get the warranty work done.

WS

Edited by WaffenSchmied
  • Like 1

Hello I hear that the Saiga 12 with 19 inch barrel needs three ports the 24 inch barrel needs two ports. There has been some 19 inch barrels with two ports around. They won't work with light low brass loads. Don't tamper with the ports, the warrenty will not be honored. Contact Vicki Jo at the Cadiz Arms, they are the Saiga warrenty shop, ask Vicki Jo about the two port in 19 inch barrel not reliable and warrenty will cover the port work. Don't wait cuz you have short warrenty time just get it processed. IRONMULE

• Like 1

I've got one of these and did the D Mod to the gas block that someone posted on here(but I can't find anymore). It helped greatly, but still wasn't perfect. I then added a Gunfixer's gas plug and a new puck and have no problems now. I would go for the warrenty work if you can get it. I had already started my conversion when I learned that this was a warrenty issue.

Thanks for the reply's guys. Kind of a bummer I've got to send a new gun out, but I'd rather get it fixed right and be done with it. Anyone know the approximate turn around time? Can I choose if I want three or four ports?

When you contact Cadiz Gun Works you will probably speak to Vicki Jo. She will get the warranty paperwork out to you ASAP. You then fill it out and send it in with your carefully packaged gun. Make SURE you get instructions on how it needs to be packaged exactly.

Tom Cole will do the work and will test the gun and make sure it is running efficiently before it ships out. He will decide how the new port configuration will be.

Trust me, it will be in great hands.

I bought a new Saiga 12 from Peach State Guns last month and it only has 2 ports also. I've only run 2 3/4 00 buck through it so far.

Just out of curiosity, was the gun you bought from Peach State a stock Saiga 12, or a converted Saiga 12?

Thanks.

WS

I have only seen one other like you are describing. A friend of mine bought his first S-12 this year and got the same exact thing. He brought it over one day and we tore it down and converted it, after testing it and having similar results with the low brass and high brass we had on hand.

We hoped that the mods we did to the action and the new US FCG would be a big improvement on the gun, and it was....but it still wasn't getting near enough gas with only two ports. Before we decided to spend more time on it and add two more ports like it needs, we tested it out with my new choke adapter which allows the use of internal thread winchokes. With a turkey choke screwed in there it cycled the low brass with no problem! :super:

I see this as yet another advantage to using the choke adapter, but to get it to cycle like it should, you really need to get those extra ports added.

Definitely sounds to me like something that should be covered by the warranty and sent off to Tom Cole at Cadiz Gun Works.

There are other things you can do like gunfixr's adjustable gas plug, lighter springs, polishing the bolt carrier and bolt, rails, etc...but it would run better with more gas. Two is not enough.

I love my Cobra chokeR adapter!!!!! went from high brass only to whatever i want IN A HURRY. CHOKES INCREASE BACK PRESSURE ON UNDER GASSED SAIGAS.

I love my Cobra chokeR adapter!!!!! went from high brass only to whatever i want IN A HURRY. CHOKES INCREASE BACK PRESSURE ON UNDER GASSED SAIGAS.

Do they also count as a muzzle devices for 922r???

I bought a new Saiga 12 from Peach State Guns last month and it only has 2 ports also. I've only run 2 3/4 00 buck through it so far.

Just out of curiosity, was the gun you bought from Peach State a stock Saiga 12, or a converted Saiga 12?

Thanks.

WS

It was just a stock Saiga 12.

bc

Thanks for the reply's guys. Kind of a bummer I've got to send a new gun out, but I'd rather get it fixed right and be done with it. Anyone know the approximate turn around time? Can I choose if I want three or four ports?

It does suck as I had to send mine in also. I can say that it was the easiest warranty claim that I have EVER made. Just give Cadiz a call and everything will be taken care of.

P.S. Send the gun in the original box and not some over-sized refrigerator box.

Edited by GerryV
  • Like 1

I'm new to the forum. Just got my Saiga-12 about 2 weeks ago. When i checked the gas ports (using a bent paper clip ) i could only run it thru 2 holes, but not the third. After punching out the pins & driving the block forward on the barrel with a brass drift, i found that i had 1 port that was not completely drilled all the way thru (into the barrel). Using a 5/64" drill bit and a center punch, there are now 4 gas port holes. This thing is now firing cheap 1 oz. shot with ease.

Thanks BVamp, I am buying my new Saiga 12 this week and this info will come in very handy!

Just to be clear, it's stated that the problem lot numbers are 329 and 500...does this number refer to the second number in the lot number? As in ####/329 and ####/500?

Just wanted to make sure, I saw one box label and it was kind of hard to make sense of with all the numbers and the Russian, haha.

Thanks BVamp, I am buying my new Saiga 12 this week and this info will come in very handy!

Just to be clear, it's stated that the problem lot numbers are 329 and 500...does this number refer to the second number in the lot number? As in ####/329 and ####/500?

Just wanted to make sure, I saw one box label and it was kind of hard to make sense of with all the numbers and the Russian, haha.

Yes, you are reading the numbers correctly. But, by no means, are these the only warranty lot numbers now.

The Russians have spread the warranty issues out since those numbers were specified........Tom

My Saiga has 3 ports after all. Somehow I was not feeling the 3rd hole with a bent paper clip. So before sending it in, I decided to check one more time. I used a light and magnifying glass and could clearly see 3 ports. I then used the paper clip again and made sure it would pass through each hole.

two port gun are common, but you definitely need to open her up,,

My mistake...posting while on heavy narcotics can make you miss some small details.....lol.

That was a ONE port gun I was referring to in my post. :bag:

I thought that was pretty damned rare except for rifles and the 410.

To The Floor....sorry bro I never got back to this one til now. Yes the choke adapters are counted parts for 922 and are US made. (=1 compliance part)