Truck bed liner for reciever.

I will post results when it dries. I am using brush on Rustoleum brand. I have always had good luck with rusto brand products (I did a roll on paint job on a car with rusto).

CIMG2860.jpg

CIMG2862.jpg

CIMG2864.jpg

CIMG2865.jpg

The reciever is drying with its 3rd coat and I will have pics tomorrow.

Reasons I wanted truck bed liner.

-I didn't feel like ordering anything online

-It was already sitting in the garage

-I want something that would stick to bare metal and paint

-I want a rough surface

-I want something tough

-I wanted something now so I could shoot on sunday

I will paint it over with a camo pattern later.

• Like 1

I used truck bed liner on my s-12,it turned out great. Im doing new mods to it now. I had to strip it down again, and used Klean strip stripper from home depot.It took several applications.It had several coats of paint under the liner.

• Like 1

I used a wire brush to clean it up before welding (I do not use sand paper before welding because I do not want the grit to contaminate the weld). I didn't strip the rest of the paint off, but if I was going to I would use a wire wheel on a hand drill.

I have scrubbed more flanges on jet engines and have cleaned out an entire car of its sound dedening with wire wheels and brushes. They are the second best thing for mechanicaly removing paint.

See

CIMG1903.jpg

My old car (RIP). All with wire brush and painted with rusto.

P1030195.jpg

I ain't need no safety lever!

I thought about the safety lever issue when I was doing it and forgot about it until know. It is hardend but not full cured yet. I just put it on and let it scrape its grove into the finish.

It felt good to weld again, I haven't welded in a few months(since I got done with those classes [my major in college])

The finish is glossy and real uneven.

Now to decide on the camo pattern. I am thinking of doing useless camo, maybe a digital with red or blue with grey white and black. It is a zombie gun so.... :smoke:...

I already have my 39 in useful camo (rusto btw)

CIMG2693.jpg

Sorry for so much :wub: for rusto...

Edited by Coal_forge
  • Like 1

This thread has it all now... I have seen the toe pic!

and the sweet vent on the roof of a Hyundai! you shoulda put a sweet dorcel fin up top since "Tiburon means shark"! lol

OP; did you strain out all the 'turds' from the bedliner and just use the broth?

i am curious to see this, i have some herculiner out in the garage left over from my Jeep project.

Edited by Mullet Man
  • Like 1

Mine didn't have any "turds" in it. The finish is kinda ugly since I layed it on thick.... I am sure if you wanted to make It smooth you could thin it out with some acetone or what ever thinner the stuff uses. So far it seems good. I did rush the drying proceedure with a heat gun so I could put three layers on bring it inside without inadvertanly lining random parts of the house.

Another thought is chalk board paint, I remember seeing a car painted with it. They rolled it on and then sanded smooth that way they could write on it without scratching it.

Roof vent and silver paint was out of necessity, the car had no ac (by choice :devil:). The vent was a side vent for semi trucks. I miss that car and hobby so much. My car had a stroke (sludge killed the HLAs and bearing) so I put her down

l_55992f5f306e444ebdc66ec1e7be6a5a.jpg

Didn't have the time to fix her or a place to keep her, and if I couldn't have her nobody could. She met my gun collection.

Anyways pics later today when I wake up (I do not have digi cam).

• Like 1

I told y'all it is ugly and glossy. I will get around tomorrow with the camo paint. I have slave labor tonight.

I only did the reciever the cover will not be done yet because I will be doing some welding on it (hk sights).

The can says 24 hours for cure time and it is almost that time. My rule of thumb for cure time is when it doesn't smell anymore. So with my logic I have no clue when it will be done curing. It seems pretty tough, the test of time will show how it fares.

The gun ahs not bolt in it, it is safe. Also, it is 922r legal.

The carpet photos are with flash.

CIMG2876.jpg

CIMG2875.jpg

CIMG2874.jpg

CIMG2873.jpg

The bathroom sink are without flash.

CIMG2880.jpg

CIMG2878.jpg

CIMG2877.jpg

• Like 1

I am new to this forum but not to guns and finishes. I have used Aluma HYDE II, Brownells bake on finishes, Rust-o-leum spray cans ( their spray on textured black is amazing but not durable to solvent cleaning) I am a professional industrial/commercial painter and I have used a product that is easy to use, holds up to solvents, acid and just about anything you want to throw at it and is inexpensive when you consider how many firearms you can coat with it. If you have a Sherwin Williams store available to you check out a product called Macropoxy. It is designed for the industrial market. Catwalks/ gratings/ machinery that is exposed to harsh enviorments. It can be had in black or tinted to many colors, is two part, a kit consists of 1 gallon part A 1 gallon part B. It has to be thinned about 30% with their proprietory solvent. I buy the little spray bottle with replacable cartridge and can finish a but-load of guns with a minimum of material depleted from the 2 gal total kit. I wil try to figure out how to post pictures after santa brings me a camera for Christmas to show how good this finish looks. The less you thin it the more texture you get and vice versa. Total cost for the thinner and Macropoxy is about 60 bucks, well worth it considering what you get. I carry a Sig P226 police trade in that I refinished a year ago that only shows slight holster wear with daily presentation. PS The paint is self priming, 1 step finishing. Simplicity can be a beautiful thing.

The .308? If it is the s12 then it is a Romanian wire folding stock, and if it the 7.62x39 then it was a laminated one (I belive a romak) I found at the gun show that I shaved down heavly on a sanding drum to lower weight and make it more comfortable for my south paw shootin' style.

922r parts on s12

US pistol grip

US FCG

US Gas piston

US Mags

Speaking of 922r I need one more part so I run good mags on the 39. I guess I will shoot the 39 this weekend without a hand guard.

Edited by Coal_forge

Sorry to be o/t but what parts did you change on the 39...not including the handguard??

922r

Gas piston

FCG

Foreign

Butt stock

added an rpk muzzle brake (i do have a US made one but it sucks)

I have an AK47 utg quad rail on the front that I will be getting rid of.

I use US mags right now, but if I switch the muzzle brake I can use foreign mags. I rather not use a hand guard. I may just make a free floating hand guard tomorrow. I am off till tuesday so. :super:

I like to be a law abiding citizen, even though I belive 922r is ethnic clensing for guns. :chris:

Edited by Coal_forge