Well i grew up tending the garden and taking care of rabbits. And I know how fast rabbits can reproduce(pretty damn fast) and how easy they are to raise. several pair of rabbits can keep a small family fed for a long time, plus a garden every year. Not to mention other wild life.

And i agree the everyday person just would not last outside the city where they have everything they need. Its ammazing what people cant live without these days.

You will literally starve to death eating rabbits they are so lean, that you really don't get anything out of them.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

BVamp- No offense man, but I feel like I need to hire a code breaker to understand some of your posts. Leave a few more clues for me, brother.

GeorgiaPD:> Despite your cop tendencies, you guys will be welcome in post-apocalypse Sal-topia.     LOL! WELL PUT! That was awesome! :lolol:

In all honesty guys, in this type of situation if you stay put you are fucked. If you venture out to the woods your life will be hard. The only option is to find your friends and maximize profits. Now

Posted Images

hence why you eat other stuff with them. In a bad situation you could live on them for some time with a garden and other stuff. Of course you dont want to gorge yourself on rabbit for life lol. just saying. its a very easy source of food.

I was gonna start naming stuff i can remember eating rabbit in as a kid...then bubba gump came to mind lol i decided not to

rabbit dumplins....rabbits stew....lol

Edited by chevyman097

Well i grew up tending the garden and taking care of rabbits. And I know how fast rabbits can reproduce(pretty damn fast) and how easy they are to raise. several pair of rabbits can keep a small family fed for a long time, plus a garden every year. Not to mention other wild life.

And i agree the everyday person just would not last outside the city where they have everything they need. Its ammazing what people cant live without these days.

You will literally starve to death eating rabbits they are so lean, that you really don't get anything out of them.

Don't tell N. Korea that....

http://www.spiegel.de/international/0,1518,458863,00.html

Edit: I can't get the link to work... So I'll cut & paste...

Fat German Rabbits to Feed Poor

Monster Bunnies For North Korea

By David Crossland

An east German pensioner who breeds rabbits the size of dogs has been asked by North Korea to help set up a big bunny farm to alleviate food shortages in the communist country. Now journalists and rabbit gourmets from around the world are thumping at his door.

It all started when Karl Szmolinsky won a prize for breeding Germany's largest rabbit, a friendly-looking 10.5 kilogram "German Gray Giant" called Robert, in February 2006.

Images of the chubby monster went around the world and reached the reclusive communist state of North Korea, a country of 23 million which according to the United Nations Food Programme suffers widespread food shortages and where many people "struggle to feed themselves on a diet critically deficient in protein, fats and micronutrients."

Szmolinsky, 67, from the eastern town of Eberswalde near Berlin, recalls how the North Korean embassy approached his regional breeding federation and enquired whether it might be willing to sell some rabbits to set up a breeding farm in North Korea. He was the natural choice for the job.

Each of his rabbits produces around seven kilograms of meat, says Szmolinsky, who was so keen to help alleviate hunger in the impoverished country that he made the North Koreans a special price -- €80 per rabbit instead of the usual €200 to €250.

"They'll be used to help feed the population," Szmolinsky told SPIEGEL ONLINE. "I've sent them 12 rabbits so far, they're in a petting zoo for now. I'll be travelling to North Korea in April to advise them on how to set up a breeding farm. A delegation was here and I've already given them a book of tips."

Greedy Rabbits

Szmolinsky knows what he's talking about. He has been breeding rabbits for 47 years. The 12 bunnies he sent can produce 60 babies a year -- if the North Koreans find enough food to feed them properly. "I feed them everything -- grain, carrots, a lot of vegetables. At the moment they're getting kale," said Szmolinsky.

"One rabbit provides a filling meal for eight people. There are a variety of recipes such as rabbit leg or rabbit roulade. No one buys rabbit fur anymore though, I just throw that in the bin," says Szmolinsky with chilling dispassion.

He breeds between 60 and 80 rabbits per year and manages to stay emotionally detached enough to send the furry, innocent-looking, huge-eared creatures to slaughter. Asked if he has any pet bunnies he could never part with, he said: "You can't hang on to them, if you did you wouldn't be able to breed them."

Szmolinsky's North Korean connection has attracted media attention from around the world, and he seems to be getting tired of it. "I'm getting ambushed by camera crews," he said, adding that he was booked up with interview appointments for days. "There's a Japanese crew flying in from Paris later."

Potential Chinese buyers have also expressed an interest. Szmolinsky doesn't know how many more rabbits he will be sending to North Korea and said he definitely wouldn't be increasing his own production to satisfy growing demand from Asia.

"I'm not increasing production and I'm not taking any more orders after this. They cost a lot to feed," he said.

0,1020,774187,00.jpg

Edited by Paulyski

HOLY FUCKING HELL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ATTACK OF THE KILLA RABBITS!

EDIT: dude i have got to get me one of those rabbits! ./google away! im freaking buying one of those! soon with pics! hahaha

Edited by chevyman097

Where did you get your info? I have heard the opposite, that eating only rabbit can sustain you for a very long time as long as you also eat the brains.

I honestly don't remember, as it has been so long ago, also, with so many different forms of Chronic Wasting Disease popping up, I wouldn't be eating the brains of anything. There is also the issue at least in wild rabbits, of the worms during the spring months.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rabbit_starvation

Edited by mav

I honestly don't remember, as it has been so long ago, also, with so many different forms of Chronic Wasting Disease popping up, I wouldn't be eating the brains of anything. There is also the issue at least in wild rabbits, of the worms during the spring months.

I always check the liver for spots, yellow or white spots mean DON'T eat and wash up real good. Check the heart too for worms. In all the years I've been hunting wild rabbit I've never seen a diseased rabbit.

I see, I thought you were referring to breeders.

I don't believe the issue of protein poison is limited to wild rabbits, I do not know if the worm problem affects breeders or not, but, pen raised rabbits could get them from the ground.

You won't starve on rabbit anymore then you would eating only white meat on chicken. You do however need a balance of different foods or you will have huge health problems and fast. Eating the brain is a good idea if you need the fat content, its really disturbing so you need to be really really hungry to eat it.

I also have no idea what you would be feeding them on if you have less then about 20 acres of farm land. Because for a family of four to eat a meal a day on rabbit you will still need about 60-70 breeder rabbits at any given time. And when they have young they eat double or they will eat some of the young.

Chickens are the same thing, even letting them eat all the bugs they can find in FL (and thats a lot of bugs) they still go through a half gallon of feed a day to lay 20 eggs. And don't even think that your going to get a store bought chicken if you clean them, even keeping most of the eatable guts they are still a good pound light of a store bird, most of their weight being bone rather then meat.

Not knocking anyone. Just pointing out stuff that I know from having done it.

Edited by csspecs

I distinctly recall a "Rawhide" episode in the early 60s, where it was (might have been the cook) mentioned eating rabbit would starve you.

Gee, I called that being on the Adkins Diet a while back when I lost 25 pounds eating nothing but protein for a few weeks, then adding other stuff.

If you have limited acerage, your best bet is to eat the plant life and the insect life directly. Don't process it through a meat organism. That's right out of 11th Grade Biology Class.

I don't believe the issue of protein poison is limited to wild rabbits, I do not know if the worm problem affects breeders or not, but, pen raised rabbits could get them from the ground.

I never thought about that....But we did allways have our rabbits in pens up off the ground for reason of wild animals getting them. So i guess that solves two problems at once.

You won't starve on rabbit anymore then you would eating only white meat on chicken. You do however need a balance of different foods or you will have huge health problems and fast. Eating the brain is a good idea if you need the fat content, its really disturbing so you need to be really really hungry to eat it.

I also have no idea what you would be feeding them on if you have less then about 20 acres of farm land. Because for a family of four to eat a meal a day on rabbit you will still need about 60-70 breeder rabbits at any given time. And when they have young they eat double or they will eat some of the young.

Chickens are the same thing, even letting them eat all the bugs they can find in FL (and thats a lot of bugs) they still go through a half gallon of feed a day to lay 20 eggs. And don't even think that your going to get a store bought chicken if you clean them, even keeping most of the eatable guts they are still a good pound light of a store bird, most of their weight being bone rather then meat.

Not knocking anyone. Just pointing out stuff that I know from having done it.

A good breeder can have up to nine babies every month and be pregnant within 24 hours after giving birth. It takes those babies about 7-9 months before they will start having there own babies. So even at less than optimal nine babies from every breeder a month and considering still born or disease it seems that in less than a years time you would be completely swamped with rabbits. I got this from reading and we raised rabbits for meat growing up, that was when I was a kid so I don't have any adult experience with them, is something off in my info?

I never thought about that....But we did allways have our rabbits in pens up off the ground for reason of wild animals getting them. So i guess that solves two problems at once.

Right, the raised hutches takes care of a lot of the disease issue, ear mites seemed to be the biggest problem ours would develop. Of course feeding them would be difficult, you would have to maintain a large garden to get it done. Course that would be a good thing.

Really the only issue i would see from when we raised rabbits. If they got sick and it was a real "shtf" situation you would not have the medications needed but you would just be at a loss of a rabbit if it died. We used to just give them vit c and store bought meds in their water if they got a cold or somthing. But obviously that would be difficult if you didnt have a stock pile of those things. Needless to say...there is alot of issues to adress if it was a real "shtf" situtation.

Back to the issue, In SHTF, do you really think you will have that much "spare" time to dedicate to pen raised rabbits? The garden is a good idea, assuming you are in an area suitable for it, but no matter where you are, for at least the first few months anyway, you will be to busy trying to stay alive to worry with peter cottontail.

I'm reminded of this South Park exchange in Die Hippy Die:

Hippie: Right now we're proving we don't need corporations. We don't need money. This can become a commune where everyone just helps each other.

Hippie: Yeah, we'll have one guy who like, who like, makes bread. A-and one guy who like, l-looks out for other people's safety.

Stan: You mean like a baker and a cop?

Hippie: No no, can't you imagine a place where people live together and like, provide services

for each other in exchange for their services?

Kyle: Yeah, it's called a town.

If you can set up a productive rabbit farm, you could trade for the other items you need to stay healthy (keep in mind that you can use all animal parts in stews and sausage). The other thing is that rabbit skins are valuable in a SHTF scenario because we won't have third world countries producing shoes and clothes for us!

Back to the issue, In SHTF, do you really think you will have that much "spare" time to dedicate to pen raised rabbits? The garden is a good idea, assuming you are in an area suitable for it, but no matter where you are, for at least the first few months anyway, you will be to busy trying to stay alive to worry with peter cottontail.

Another reason to get things set up when things are good. If things got real bad, you may have more time on your hands than you do now through job loss, local entertainment closing down or becoming too expensive, etc.

• Like 1