New S12 pics

I've posted pics of my S12 before but recently had Keith at Tac47 Industries cut down the barrel and permanently attach the flash hider for an 18.5" barrel, just got her back from the duracoat place this weekend. I think it turned out really well, the color came out nice and matches the SVDS folder very closely. Other than the basic conversion done by me, Keith has done all the work and I haven't had a single issue with it. It took me around a year to scrounge all the parts and I didn't want to trust the conversion to just anyone, Keith came through with flying colors and I couldn't be happier with it.

With Russian magwell, Izzy S12 grip, Dinzag gas tube mod, SVDS folder and PK-AS:

Before:

S12MagWell_R.JPG

After:

S12Folder_18.5.JPG

S12Folder_G_01.JPG

S12Folder_G_02.JPG

Z

• Like 3

Yeah, you can always count on TX-Zen to make the rest of our guns look like shit... :P

That's one amazing S-12 ya got there, man. :up: Your dedication to acquiring and using Russkie parts is admirable.

However... my not-so-Russkie S-12 is currently in "the shop" herself... When she returns, I'll have to post pics and a range report. She'll never be as "authentic", (cause I don't care to pay for the rare Russian parts), but her refinement and reliability just might be comparable. ;)

Edited by post-apocalyptic

Yeah, you can always count on TX-Zen to make the rest of our guns look like shit... :P

That's one amazing S-12 ya got there, man. :up: Your dedication to acquiring and using Russkie parts is admirable.

However... my not-so-Russkie S-12 is currently in "the shop" herself... When she returns, I'll have to post pics and a range report. She'll never be as "authentic", (cause I don't care to pay for the rare Russian parts), but her refinement and reliability just might be comparable. ;)

That is indeed a beautiful S12! Woo hoo!!! Had to do a double take to make sure it wasn't a Molot Vepr!

However, authentic is in the eye of the beholder. I have seen your S12 close up PA. Aside from the mandatory conversion parts, everything is Russian (if not entirely traditional). Don't sell yourself short buddy;)

Range test tomorrow.

WS

P.S. Damn nice photography too!

Edited by WaffenSchmied
  • Like 1

What kind of stock and cheek riser is that?

It's an Izhmash factory SVDS-type Saiga 12 stock. This stock is basically identical to the SVDS buttstock that Izhmash puts on their SVDS rifles, except is has a left side hinge installed instead of a right-side hinge, and it also has a metal tab riveted to the butt-plate to catch the front retaining catch when the stock is folded. The cheek pad is non-removable (at least not without taking the stock apart) but is rotatable, so it can just be rotated out of the way when using iron sights, and then rotated back up when using an optic.

Mind if I ask where you picked up the SVDS stock?

The irony is the stock was originally mine that I had bought a long time ago from the now out of business Andrei/RUSeller. I sold it about 5 years ago because I had intended to use it on an AK but changed gears (this was before I was into S12's). Fast forward to 2008 and I was actively scouring every source I knew and couldn't find one anywhere. Lo and behold I remember the guys name I sold it too and he still had it, plus the PG. Talk about the stars falling into alignment :super:

LOL, not my intention to do that, I was just after an EXP-01-040 model or something like a Vepr12 and figured out pretty quick I'd have to get my own built. The scrounging was half the fun.

So any hints on your Russian beauty? I haven't seen in but I suspect that Waffen is right and you might be shorting yourself. I can't imagine an all Russian looking bad :)

Can't wait for pics, I know it's going to be cool :super:

Thanks for the compliments everyone!

Z

The one thing that puzzles me a little is the fact that you haven't installed a more "AK-style" trigger guard, (e.g. the one from ak-builder).

Regardless, as I said before, she's a unique beauty and really stands out among S-12 restorations. :up:

This is a pic of my S-12 as she is currently, (still at the shop):

s12asof12510.th.jpg

I think she's purdy.. but it's definitely function over form with my gun. Most of the work I'm having done is internal... e.g. she'll now easily load on a closed bolt, all fcg surfaces, (and rails), have been polished and honed for optimal operation, gas ports have been enlarged and increased in number, (got 5 now), gas system has had additional custom work done, (think shaped charge ;) ), etc, etc. When the work is done, she should cycle just about anything easily and reliably.

Anyway.. I don't wanna highjack your thread here. When she returns, I'll take some more pics and post those along with a range report in my own thread. :)

Edited by post-apocalyptic

No worries about hijacking, your S12 is SWEEEEEEEEEEEEET. Not traditional obviously but very sleek and angular. I like it :super:

The Ace looks right at home on yours and really compliments the look...nicely balances out the barrel length.

It's really obvious that yours is a functional weapon and I bet you can tear up the clays with it.

Very well done I must say.

I never really thought about the trigger guard actually, it's just not a detail I've worried about for this S12. I get more concerned about details like that on AK's than I do on the 12 because we really can't get exactly what the Russian S12s use I guess.

But seriously, that's a nice conversion you have there. :super:

Z

Thanks, man. :batman:

I can't wait to go shoot my new and improved S-12.. all FTE's should be a thing of the past, with just about any type of shell, even cheap Winchester birdshot.

I have a Chaos tri-rail, but after seeing how well the OEM handguard has been modded, I gotta admit I'm less enthusiastic about using the tri-rail instead. :D

Just heal up by the 27th, some arfcommers are coming down from Austin :super:

AR fan boys huh? :mellow: Will they be able to handle all the recoil and reliability these things have to offer? :lol:

Seriously though, I should be fine by then. I hope so, I'm going through S-12 withdrawal . . . :evil:

• 4 weeks later...

THAT IS THE NICEST S12 this site has to offer!

It is beautiful, but personally, I think Cliff and Keith's nickle plated Slug Slinger is at least on even footing with Tx-Zen's awesome S-12. (Both done at Tac-47, Cliff and Keith are doing some amazing work.)

WJ

Edited by WarriorJudge

That is a real sweet S12. Any of the converters out there offering something like this? I feel another Saiga purchase coming on.

Like WarriorJudge said, it was done by TAC47. Keith can do you one if you can get all the hard to find parts. I think TX told me the hardest part to find is the folding stock w/trunnion and latch.

Edited by Raoul_Duke