axis pin loose

i just converted my gun and i,m extremely pleased

the problem is the axis pin though the hammer keeps coming loose

does anyone have experience in solving this problem

the shepherds crook is in so i don't believe thats the problem

oh also i have this problem with the magazine release pin

i every once in a while have to smack it back in

If you have a center punch that can take care of the problem of the mag release pin walking out. A few strikes on either side should tighten it up.

As far as your retaining issues, have you considered going to a plate? I hate the FCG spings/crooks so i never use them.

Is the Axis pin actually backing out of the right side of the reciever?

All you stated is it's coming "loose". That could mean it's a little sloppy. :unsure:

I planned on switching to a shepards crook.

Currently I'm using 2 E-clips on each pin.

post-19652-1264663364457_thumb.jpg

With 2 on each, they're quite tight. one would be loose & let the pin move slightly, I feel it would be less dependable.

They are a real bitch to remove though, you need a small screwdriver & they could be easily lost if repairing the gun in the field. Both tools & easily lost in plain sight because too small are no-nos in my book.

I thought tromix crooks were a secure way to mount the pins?

Do issues arise often with crooks?

Maybe I should do a plate too, but I think I heard about a guy in another thread having issues with them also.

Had the same problem after originally doing my conversion. Can you post a pic of the FCG showing how you installed the crook? Just to confirm that its been properly installed.

Also, I keep hearing people referring to the e-clips as if they are temporary fixes. Any reason to suspect that they would not hold up to long term use? They would be soooooo much easier to install than a crook or a plate.

Had the same problem after originally doing my conversion. Can you post a pic of the FCG showing how you installed the crook? Just to confirm that its been properly installed.

Also, I keep hearing people referring to the e-clips as if they are temporary fixes. Any reason to suspect that they would not hold up to long term use? They would be soooooo much easier to install than a crook or a plate.

I agree.I am sure I am not telling you anything you don't already know,but that pin has a "flare " that the crook is suppose to lock into between the inside of the reciever wall and the "flare" on the pin.I would make certain that this is installed correctly.If it is,I can't imagine how that pin would come out.

Edited by RRice

Their not easier than a crook.

I've herd of one falling off of one gun & the trigger came loose. That being said, I don't know if they were doubled up like on mine.

2 e-clips purchased at lowes fit in the groove in each axis pin. If you only do 1, there is play, where there is movement the steel can wear.

Installing 2 e-clips on a pin requires placing & pushing each 1/2 way on with narrow needle nose pliers, then seating them with a long small screwdriver.

I also spun the pin before installing the second, so they would be facing opposite directions.

It was a bitch to put together & they're a bitch to remove.

I only did it initially because I forgot to buy the crook at a gunshow & didn't know tromix offered them at the time I did my conversion.

I just haven't gotten around to ordering the crook.

The only time i miss it, is when I'm trying to get the damn E-clips off.

That being said, if the SHTF, I don't want to be dependent on finding a small screwdriver & needle nose pliers to work on my gun.

The only tools in my opinion that one should need to work on a gun in the field, should be in the cleaning kit in the stock, a bullet or shell casing rim & possibly a knife.

ETA: Also, maybe some long grass, or wheat to tie up the hammer spring too.

Edited by Paulyski

Plate for the win.

The only thing that keeps it from being simple is the BHO tab. I always complain about people taking a dremel to theirs instead of siting down and thinking about the installation but, in hindsight, a notch cut into the tab for the safety would make disassembly and reassembly in the field a hell of a lot easier.

Plate for the win.

The only thing that keeps it from being simple is the BHO tab. I always complain about people taking a dremel to theirs instead of siting down and thinking about the installation but, in hindsight, a notch cut into the tab for the safety would make disassembly and reassembly in the field a hell of a lot easier.

thats what i do. Easy as can be to take apart and a metal plate holds solid.

I'm not comfortable messing with the internals on my S-12. Heck, I even have a hard time getting the bolt positioned properly when I reassemble it after maintenance.

My pin was loose too, so I bought a correct S-12 plate and had my friend, who is a professional gunsmith install it. While he had to fiddle with it to get it to seat properly, he got it to fit into place fine. Now the pin is secure and doesn't move. I recommend the plate. It works.

Edited by StarPD

I made my own retaining plate, yeah I'm one cheap SOB :D. it wasn't all that hard or difficult. measure the center distance between the axis pins, and used a protractor to get the angle to the selector hole from the trigger hole, cut out the plate, notch the plate for the axis pins, and installed it. then I marked the selector hole on the plate where to drill, took it out and drilled it, installed and locked the plate in place. easy peasee lemon squeezee :)

Edited by Matthew Hopkins

i just converted my gun and i,m extremely pleased

the problem is the axis pin though the hammer keeps coming loose

does anyone have experience in solving this problem

the shepherds crook is in so i don't believe thats the problem

oh also i have this problem with the magazine release pin

i every once in a while have to smack it back in

Man i have the same problem with my magazine release pin, my magazine actually fell out my first trip to the range after firing about 60 rounds and my spring flew inside my gun. I managed to get it back in with the help of a friend but every so often i have to check it to make sure it doesnt walk out to far upon which i just push it back in if it starts to after firing a few rounds.