Where to send my S12 for a conversion?

I really wanted to try and do the conversion myself, I just to have enough faith that I won't mess up.

I live in the VT/NY area and am wondering if there is a place that I can send my rifle out to have it converted? Thanks in advance.

DH

I have used several vendors here including Cadiz Gun Works, Red Jacket and Tromix. Pick one and send it off. You're sure to be happy. There are others that do excellent work also, I just have not personally used them. Think about what you want; i.e. basic conversion, match trigger, custom one-off and so on then call and visit with them on the phone. All our vendors are very newbie friendly and will gladly steer you in the right direction to acquire what you want.

Edited by 1911
  • Like 1

I had Kieth at Tac 47 Industries do mine for me and I could not possibly be any happier with any service of any product in my life!!!

A1!! Very good, very fast, very helpful!

I work lots of hours and wanted this done right by a pro and I got a better product than I bargained for!

post-16191-12649142016872_thumb.jpg

I really wanted to try and do the conversion myself, I just to have enough faith that I won't mess up.

I am about the most mechanically inept guy you can ever meet, and I did the conversion with no problemm. if I can do it, anybody can do it. I followed Moe's tutorial

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=40886

I had Kieth at Tac 47 Industries do mine for me and I could not possibly be any happier with any service of any product in my life!!!

A1!! Very good, very fast, very helpful!

I work lots of hours and wanted this done right by a pro and I got a better product than I bargained for!

Big +1 for Tac 47

Keith did all the fancy work on mine:

S12Folder_18.5.JPG

Z

I have four s12 custom tuned and designed by LONE STARR ARMS aka.Waffenschmeid.He does outstanding work,I have not had any problems with my weapons.AT the risk of pissing folks off I nor waffenschmeid weld on weapons,it does not enhance the metal temper,I generally do not use a lot of gun BLING, that does not help the internals of the weapon.However Cobra has some excellent goodies,I also am partial to the volume of the drums and the high volume clips.After my weapons were tuned they will eat any ammo non stop, most any clip or drum cycles just fine. You know when you have to kill every MF in the room a well tuned SBS S12 rocks STRENGTH AND HONOR TGUNN

• Like 2

I live in the VT/NY area and am wondering if there is a place that I can send my rifle out to have it converted? Thanks in advance.

DH

I have never done anything to, a gun but clean it. I just did a conversion yesterday. It's not hard to do if you just take your time. I'm glad I ended up doing it myself. Now it's really MINE !

I was worried about doing my own conversion also. It took me all of about 3 hours, and $250 in parts from Greg at CSS. I now know the gun inside-and-out, and feel that I am better able to fix it should any breakdowns occur. I also have a nice spare parts kit with all the leftovers from the conversion.

I highly recommend trying it yourself. This forum is a great resource if you screw something up or get stuck. And worst case, you can always send out a partially converted gun to any of the vendors for a full conversion if your attempt goes bad.

dido on billyjoebob's post. I posted a similar thread a few weeks ago and some advanced members talked me into doing the conversion myself and I am glad I did it. If you have a drill and a dremel your in business! Plus the guys on here will answer any questions you have even answered some stupid questions I had. I suggest CSS they are great to do go through great prices and fast shipping on parts, I'm sure every business on this forum will give you the same service though.

I also highly recommend Lone Star Arms. I converted restored my S-12 myself, but WaffenShmied did some serious (and unique) custom work to the gas system, (all parts), and customized my factory handguard to the point where I prefer it over the Chaos tri-rail that I had on the gun previously. He also refinished the gun, tuned the fcg, polished and honed the bolt, bolt carrier, all the appropriate contact surfaces etc.

I won't have time to do a complete write-up of "before" and "after", (with pics and range report), till next week, but I did find time a few days ago to take her out for about an hour and put ~55 shells downrange. Before I sent the gun in to be worked on, I had some occasional FTE with low-brass Federal. Now, she runs like a dream, with all OEM, (now customized), parts.

As I said, I'll have a more complete write-up with more details, (pics and full range report), in a week or so, but for now:

Before

hmmmm013.th.jpg

After

s12asof12510.th.jpg

Edited by post-apocalyptic

I also highly recommend Lone Star Arms. I converted restored my S-12 myself, but WaffenShmied did some serious (and unique) custom work to the gas system, (all parts), and customized my factory handguard to the point where I prefer it over the Chaos tri-rail that I had on the gun previously.

The modified factory handguard looks SICK. That may be the nicest one I've seen :eek:

here is my question. who is actaully doing conversions now? everybody in the world knows that tromix is the best, but I thought he wasn't taking new orders for conversions for like another 10 years.

This is absolutely no slight to any of the other fine builders available,

but I believe its likely that Tromix's new list will open up wayyyyy before initially believed (ie, the 2011 prediction). No facts, just something to keep an eye out for.

Cheers

HarvKY

......but I believe its likely that Tromix's new list will open up wayyyyy before initially believed (ie, the 2011 prediction). No facts, just something to keep an eye out for.

Cheers

HarvKY

Recently, from the "Post Yer Number" thread, Tony said:

"Probably around July of this year.

I still have too many orders to pin it down any closer than that."

Tony

post-3950-12649987630533_thumb.jpg

^ Well, that's cool, and I'd be the last person to disparage Tony's legendary work on S-12's. Still, that's ~5 months away and tentative. As I mentioned, Lone Star Arms is currently accepting new customers.

Also, as I said, the customization that WaffenShmied does to a gas system is, (as far as he and I know), completely unique... and amazingly effective. I've been asked not to talk explicitly about it.. so, contact him for details on services, prices, etc.

Ever since returning from his shop, my S-12 is perfectly reliable, with any shell, (even Winchester "Universal"). She's also more attractive. :D

Edited by post-apocalyptic

Just a thought. I waited 36 years for a magazine fed shotgun to become available to the average consumer. If the "legendary" Tromix is what you want a 6 month wait is a walk in the park. You will wait a number of months to get exactly what you want from any gunsmith. I have designed several that were "exactly" what I wanted and wound up having more built because of changes in availability of certain parts. Think carefully about exactly what you want and who you want it built by and then play the waiting game. I have had guns built in anywhere from 2 months (Tromix) to a year. They are all what I wanted and were well worth the wait. If you only have one, make it like Mary Poppins; "practically perfect in every way". Time at this point in American history is not crucial like it was last November. Like I say, just another thought. Do what you want and enjoy the whole process. It is much more fun that way. :) Your weapon may take 6 months to a year but bragging rights last forever. 018.gif

Thanks so much for the replies guys. I'm currently looking at pics and trying to figure out what set up will serve my situation best.

I don't mine waiting a couple months if need be. Tell me, do most of you guys that ship your rifles out to be converted include aftermarket parts or do you normally have to purchase the parts from the gunsmith himself? Thanks!

DH

^ Well, that's cool, and I'd be the last person to disparage Tony's legendary work on S-12's. Still, that's ~5 months away and tentative. As I mentioned, Lone Star Arms is currently accepting new customers.

Also, as I said, the customization that WaffenShmied does to a gas system is, (as far as he and I know), completely unique... and amazingly effective. I've been asked not to talk explicitly about it.. so, contact him for details on services, prices, etc.

Ever since returning from his shop, my S-12 is perfectly reliable, with any shell, (even Winchester "Universal"). She's also more attractive. :D

I second that notion. Mike (Waffenschmied) at Lone Star Arms does excellent work. I'm not even sure if "excellent" does his work justice. I'll be doing a write up and a video of my S12 in action soon. Bad ass looking S12s coming out of there that cycle absolutely beautifully.

Hey post-apocalyptic!

Thanks for kicking every Business Members dick in the dirt. Remember those who make the Business Level contribution to this wonderful place before you go off giving business to someone that doesnt.

Respectfully,

MCASSgt New River

P.S.

How is the court case coming? Any updates?

"I'm pleased to announce that since Tony has fulfilled his current backlog ahead of schedule, Tromix will begin accepting new orders on 1 April 2010.

A new booking system will be in use at that time, the details of which I will post at a later date. Our desire is to make a Tromix Saiga accessible to more people.

Thanks for your continued support and patronage."

- Bob Ash

.............updating the timeframe I'd posted earlier in this thread !!

(Where is David Ash's sigline when I really need it?? Heh, heh, heh.....)