Advise adding a folding stock

I'm about to order parts to convert my new S-12, and figured I'd take the opportunity to order parts to upgrade my converted saiga from a standard AK stock to a DPH Skeleton Stock from CSS.

I'm planning on adding the internal block that can be screwed in using the holes in the receiver, and would also like to add a folding mechanism. Seems like the two choices out there from CSS are push-button and non push-button.

Other than the button itself, are there any significant difference between the two designs? It seems that some say that the push button model can have some wobble when locked open, and may lack a mount point for a sling.

Does the non push button design lock open or closed at all? Would I have to worry about it moving around when it's extended and I'm firing, or is it pretty solid? Basically...what is everyone getting, and are you happy with it?

Also, while I like the DPH stock (and CSS is running a great sale on them), are there any significant difference in stocks that I should be aware of...especially when folding them? I'm assuming they will all fold flush to the left side of the receiver. Any other recommendations? Recoil pad size? Etc?

...And as always, thanks for the input!!! :ph34r:

I have both the pushbutton folder and the standard non-button folder. The non-button folder is much more solid when locked extended because the locking parts are machined at an angle. It also has a stronger spring. The spring forces the two angled parts together until the angled surfaces contact. This leaves NO backlash as the parts never "bottom out".

The push button folder had a weaker spring, and the design allows the cam to bottom out. Therefore any difference in size between the cam and the channel turns into backlash & wobble.

The non push button folder can be a pita to fold though. You have to pull the entire stock up to compress the spring. If you pull up by the end of the stock the leverage works against you. It's hard to explain.

I'm about to order parts to convert my new S-12, and figured I'd take the opportunity to order parts to upgrade my converted saiga from a standard AK stock to a DPH Skeleton Stock from CSS.

I'm planning on adding the internal block that can be screwed in using the holes in the receiver, and would also like to add a folding mechanism. Seems like the two choices out there from CSS are push-button and non push-button.

Other than the button itself, are there any significant difference between the two designs? It seems that some say that the push button model can have some wobble when locked open, and may lack a mount point for a sling.

Does the non push button design lock open or closed at all? Would I have to worry about it moving around when it's extended and I'm firing, or is it pretty solid? Basically...what is everyone getting, and are you happy with it?

Also, while I like the DPH stock (and CSS is running a great sale on them), are there any significant difference in stocks that I should be aware of...especially when folding them? I'm assuming they will all fold flush to the left side of the receiver. Any other recommendations? Recoil pad size? Etc?

I have both the pushbutton folder and the standard non-button folder. The non-button folder is much more solid when locked extended because the locking parts are machined at an angle. It also has a stronger spring. The spring forces the two angled parts together until the angled surfaces contact. This leaves NO backlash as the parts never "bottom out".

The push button folder had a weaker spring, and the design allows the cam to bottom out. Therefore any difference in size between the cam and the channel turns into backlash & wobble.

The non push button folder can be a pita to fold though. You have to pull the entire stock up to compress the spring. If you pull up by the end of the stock the leverage works against you. It's hard to explain.

Sounds like you are looking for the sturdiest option. That would be the non pushbutton folder. Rock solid. Highly recommended!

I like the Ace stock. It's light, solid, and the butt pad is adequate.

WS

Edited by WaffenSchmied
  • Like 1

My converted S-12 has the Ace non-button folding stock. It is rock solid when open. Be advised, as others have mentioned, it's a little difficult to unlock though. Best way to unlock it is to use your thumb against the bottom of the trunnion and your fingers on the top of the stock, pushing the mechanism apart to unlock. Note that it does NOT lock in the folded position, which makes it easy to open for quick use.

My FAL "Para" locks both open and closed, and it takes an extra second or two to unlock. I place the PG against my leg to unlock it. That makes it a lot easier and faster.

Just wanted to add: I had the same trouble unlocking the stock in order to fold it. My solution: If you flip the folding mechanism upside down it will fold to the right side of the weapon instead of the left. Now it only requires mild downward pressure to fold the stock, this makes it very easy to fold/unfold. I've got both my S12s set up like this (ACE and Tromix stocks) and I much prefer it over the left-folding style. I can fold and unfold the stock with my left hand while retaining my grip on the PG. Sure, can't fire with it folded (well, I guess you can but you'll get an FTE) but I never shoot folded anyway so this setup works great for me. Also, some people with short LOPs who really "crowd up" the weapon sometimes get bit by the folding hinge. Setting it up like this eliminates that problem (at least for righties!)

You have any pictures? How is the fal stock mounted?

I have an Ace button folder with an Ace stock. For the price of the button folding mechanism it shouldn't have any wobble but it does. Some people report different degrees of wobble. I don't know if there are any fixes for it. It's not as noticeable when you shoulder the weapon.

You have any pictures? How is the fal stock mounted?

I have an Ace button folder with an Ace stock. For the price of the button folding mechanism it shouldn't have any wobble but it does. Some people report different degrees of wobble. I don't know if there are any fixes for it. It's not as noticeable when you shoulder the weapon.

I will take some pictures this week, a local gunsmith did the work, I believe he made a new (back plate?) but I will check on it.

My friends ace stock doesn't lock into place like mine does. He has the kind with a buffer tube and has a Magpull stock. It's thickness stops it from locking up I believe.

The FAL stock is incredible, solid and very robust on the firearm.

• 2 weeks later...

I would add that the folding mechanism on the push button that I have has a spot for a set screw so that you may take out any wobble when it is open (unfolded). You could also go get a nylon set screw so that you don't have the original metal set screw hitting the plate when open. I haven't had the chance to fire it yet but it seems very solid.

Matt

I have left folding Ace stocks on all my S12s. I prefer the left folding stocks because the stock does not interfere with the bolt when operating. On some it is possible to adjust the right folding stock down far enough that it does not interfere with the bolt but when I tried it the stock dug into the top of my right hand/thumb area so I switched it to fold to the other side. To those of you who think you will never have to operate the shotgun with the stock folded I say "Semper Paratus"!