Flat bullet guide issue????? my gun has no ramp

I notice on other pictures people with FLAT trunnions have a RAMP. I notice from http://www.dinzagarms.com/saiga_762x39/x39ftk.html this picture it has a ramp like thing. I do not have that, look at my picture. Can I install a bullet guide with out this ramp/slant?

also notice in my picture, there is something bubbled up in the metal before the chamber.

do you guys use krazy glue or something like that to hold the bullet guide in place? I heard you should glue it down??

post-21999-12662739469609_thumb.jpg

Edited by saigarifles
do you guys use krazy glue or something like that to hold the bullet guide in place? I heard you should glue it down??

The front trunion is drilled and tapped, and the bullet guide screws into the newly created hole. The work is very simple and quick to do, no reason to half ass it with crazy glue.

The front trunion is drilled and tapped, and the bullet guide screws into the newly created hole. The work is very simple and quick to do, no reason to half ass it with crazy glue.

I agree.

A step further, once you make sure it cycles fine with the guide in place, is to use some red loctite on the screw. I actually didn't even use red loctite for quite awhile, and the guide stayed in place. But when I was digging around and found some loctite, I threw some on the screw. Just to be safe.

• 1 month later...

The ramp you see in the Dinzag guide is the bullet guide for the .223 calibre for some reason (which I do not know) the .223 guide has a slight ramp in the front of it. For the 7.62x39 it does not have a ramp. Also just to add this I just ordered my bullet guide from Dinzag and due to the fact that I have the drilling and tapping skills of a drunk monkey I am going to attempt to attach my bullet guide with some JB weld and some prayers. I have heard all kinds of great things about JB weld so I am going to see what happens. I will let you know how it goes if anyone is interested.

Oddly enough I just recently added my bullet guide, and I have yet to fire the rifle since the bullet guide has been added. Prior to adding the bullet guide I was using stock AK mags without the bullet guide and I shot FMJ, Soft Point, and Hollow Point ammo through stock AK mags and had only one misfeed in about 150 rounds. That is why I went ahead and put in the bullet guide. I was shooting a mixture of Wolf HP ammo, Silver Bear FMJ, Brown Bear Soft Point, and some unknown Yugo surplus ammo. I had one misfeed with the Yugo ammo with no bullet guide installed and I was shooting with 1 30 round polymer Saiga ProMag, 1 30 round stock AK polymer mag by ProMag, 1 30 round steel Chinese AK mag, and 1 20 round steel Chinese AK mag. The AK mags I dremeled down the mag catch to snap in tightly.

I am going to attempt to attach my bullet guide with some JB weld and some prayers. I have heard all kinds of great things about JB weld so I am going to see what happens. I will let you know how it goes if anyone is interested.

Go extra-heavy on the prayers.

Frankly I'm amazed that anyone would do this. Hopefully no one will get hurt when that guide falls out.

I had one Wolf HP hang up on the front of the bullet guide - the HP just barely caught the lip of the guide. All I did was use a small half round file to smooth off the sharp lip of the guide, and have had no further problems.

I notice on other pictures people with FLAT trunnions have a RAMP. I notice from http://www.dinzagarms.com/saiga_762x39/x39ftk.html this picture it has a ramp like thing. I do not have that, look at my picture. Can I install a bullet guide with out this ramp/slant?

also notice in my picture, there is something bubbled up in the metal before the chamber.

All you need is a bullet guide.

You can buy one already made or make one yourself. I made a few from a saiga choke wrench.

A hole needs to be made to fasten the bullet guide to the trunnion. Then thread the hole with a tap according to the screw threading you plan to use.

5vvtbs.jpg

I am going to attempt to attach my bullet guide with some JB weld and some prayers. I have heard all kinds of great things about JB weld so I am going to see what happens. I will let you know how it goes if anyone is interested.

Go extra-heavy on the prayers.

Frankly I'm amazed that anyone would do this. Hopefully no one will get hurt when that guide falls out.

It would just cause a FTF is all if it did.

Not to start this particular argument again but after over 2k rounds my JB is just fine. If you have a dremel I suggest you give that leading edge some polish work so rounds feed smoother. There is as much that can go wrong with a screw as the JB but then I know how to use the stuff having patched everything from boat hulls to engine blocks with it in an emergency. Truth is all the force exerted on the guide is toward the barrel and that area doesn't get near the heat limits of JB.

Now as for crazy glue? That is just silly it wont hold up to the heat. Either way use your head and know your materials.

I think the folks using crazy glue were just using it to hold the BG in place while the hole was drilled for the screw. Then they would remove the glued in BG, fasten the screw properly, and be done with it. Thats the theory, at least...not to crazy glue it in permanently.

On mine, I screwed up the drilling and part of the threading, but still got a different screw to fit into the hole tightly, and JB welded the screw down in instead of locktite, and also roughed up the bottom of the BG and the top of the trunnion where the bg touches, and JB welded that as well. so, it still has a threaded screw holding it into the hole, just jb welded in there, and the BG is jb welded down as well for extra insurance, this setup doesnt budge at ALL. ( I did have to file the top of the screw flush, and file a slight ramp on the edge of the BG to help it feed better)..Many rounds have been fed and fired thru it with no problems, Mil spec Yugos, Brown bear, silver Bear, winchester, etc...

Edited by icefire

I think the folks using crazy glue were just using it to hold the BG in place while the hole was drilled for the screw. Then they would remove the glued in BG, fasten the screw properly, and be done with it. Thats the theory, at least...not to crazy glue it in permanently.

On mine, I screwed up the drilling and part of the threading, but still got a different screw to fit into the hole tightly, and JB welded the screw down in instead of locktite, and also roughed up the bottom of the BG and the top of the trunnion where the bg touches, and JB welded that as well. so, it still has a threaded screw holding it into the hole, just jb welded in there, and the BG is jb welded down as well for extra insurance, this setup doesnt budge at ALL. ( I did have to file the top of the screw flush, and file a slight ramp on the edge of the BG to help it feed better)..Many rounds have been fed and fired thru it with no problems, Mil spec Yugos, Brown bear, silver Bear, winchester, etc...

Heh when that rifle finally does rust away some hundred years from now all that will be left is the bullet guide. That is one well attached part. Glad you mentioned that screw head sticking up in the path as I had forgotten that little problem.