I've been thinking about this.... and how you get rid of it isn't nearly as important as getting a really good You Tube video.... The idea of that possum standing at your back door impatiently demanding to be let in, staring you down... Man you have got to invite your neighbors to "help" you scare the possum away. Your dog barking at the possum, gun toting rednecks, the Indian (curry dipping variety) neighbor, his incoherent kid, and the Asian landlord waving bamboo around all jumping up and down, and the rabid pissed off possum standing there.... staring you all down, and trying his best to break in... again and again!

"ZOMBIE POSSUM ATTACKS!"

That's a viral hit waiting to happen there buddy.... Solid gold! :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol:

• Like 1

Get a METAL pizza pan, a small METAL bowl, such as one for a dog or cat, glue a 1/4" think circle of rubber to bottom of bowl, get an old extension cord and cut off the female end, attach one wire to the pizza pan, the other to the bowl, place a can of tuna in the bowl, then place the bowl into the center of pizza pan outside the door, plug extension cord into a socket WITHOUT ground fault, when breaker trips, dispose of dead critter, then reset breaker if needed, just don't leave it unattended.

• Like 1

good points voon, but I had planned on a shotgun for that reason, less distance, and my back yard is wooded after my lot ends (big back yard) so I'd be alright there..

And WS I'm glad I wasn't drinking right now because I'd have beer coming out my nose from that mental image. Would have to end with a full auto md20 slug dump through the possum and the mexican asking me if it was legal.

edit: Know I mentioned the 5.45 but that was more of a joke

Edited by volkov
  • Like 1

good points voon, but I had planned on a shotgun for that reason, less distance, and my back yard is wooded after my lot ends (big back yard) so I'd be alright there..

And WS I'm glad I wasn't drinking right now because I'd have beer coming out my nose from that mental image. Would have to end with a full auto md20 slug dump through the possum and the mexican asking me if it was legal.

edit: Know I mentioned the 5.45 but that was more of a joke

I don't know if PETA would approve of the finale', but this just gets funnier and funnier... unless you're the possum.. :lolol:

• Like 1

yeah I did some reading bigcec and your right. Apparently they only live two years as well!

I also failed to find any videos of them being aggresive online which made me wonder.

Still, it's a pest, and it's tryng to break into my house and driving my dog crazy. Now I just don't know if I want to kill it as bad. As big as it is it can't have much longer left anyway.

Last summer I moved into my first home and when we came home late at nite . I found five skunks on my back pourch festing on a bag of garbage I put out before I left. One was within 2 feet of me when I rounded the corner. After I got inside I watch them come in and out from under my nighbor's shed. I also was surprised on how bold these skunks where they where not scared of me or my dogs in the window barking at them. So monday come's I called PA Animal Control and they say to me they don't trap skunks or small animal's to call an exterminator or a traper. Called a trapper who told me $100 each skunk I seen five, so I bet there is more. Went to walmart got me a remmington air rifle and went to work got two the frist night and one the night after and the rest got the message, never seen a skunk since. Not even one skunk sprayed when shot, they floped around like fish out of water for a few second's.

Now a possium I would just use a trap.

• Like 1

Volkov, on a serious note it occurred to me that whoever occupied your home before you may have regularly fed the Possum, or left pet food dishes out that the possum also took advantage of. This would probably explain the Possum's understandable frustration and outrage that you have neglected to feed him!

I can just see him out there staring in at you and your dog, tapping his paw impatiently on the cement pad, and muttering to himself under his breath about your lack of manners and civility.

BTW, do you think your Asian landlord might enjoy a nice Possum stir fry? You might suggest to him in passing that Possums are absolutely delicious with Hoi Sin sauce.... You just never know;)

• Like 1

Possum Stew

• One possum, skinned, pieced
  • Couple of onions, potatos, carrots, etc (chopped or sliced)
  • 1 can of mushroom soup
  • 2 cans of beef gravy
  • can of water
  • Tbsp each of pepper, garlic salt

1. Boil the possum meat in a large pot of water with a half cup of salt for about half a day.
  2. Pour the water out and add all the stuff to it.
  3. Bring to a boil, then simmer covered 4 to 8 hrs.

Volkov, on a serious note it occurred to me that whoever occupied your home before you may have regularly fed the Possum, or left pet food dishes out that the possum also took advantage of. This would probably explain the Possum's understandable frustration and outrage that you have neglected to feed him!

I can just see him out there staring in at you and your dog, tapping his paw impatiently on the cement pad, and muttering to himself under his breath about your lack of manners and civility.

BTW, do you think your Asian landlord might enjoy a nice Possum stir fry? You might suggest to him in passing that Possums are absolutely delicious with Hoi Sin sauce.... You just never know;)

Lucky for me, my house is one of the few that isn't bambood up, different landlord, I'm sure when I come back in 20 years or so he will have gotten ahold of it and it'll have the great wall of china made out of bamboo around it. But I've lived here for four years (finishing up this year), and if their life span is two I don't think it's from someone else feeding him.

and wow this thread went way farther then I figured.. with a lot of good/funny suggestions.

edit: thanks whoever fixed that, appreciate it

Edited by volkov

I was thinking if you throw in a bag of rice the Asian landlord be all over it!!! lol TGUNN.

• Like 1

I was thinking if you throw in a bag of rice the Asian landlord be all over it!!! lol TGUNN.

I believe you may be on to something there tgunn...:lolol:

Possums can and will kill small pets, especially cats (first hand experience on multiple occasions). They will also gnaw and chew on stuff like the overgrown rats they are. I had one get into a storage building and do a few hundred dollars worth of damage during the cold season when I wasn't in there on a regular basis. If it was made out of rubber, plastic, or wood, he'd gnawed on it. So with the exception of my tiller and an old metal top to a patio table, he'd munched on just about everything in there. Even my sprayer! That had been used for chemicals! And yes, an air rifle works quite well. Although their skulls are pretty freakin' hard.

I think the air rifle sounds good...although my rifle is a 22 and sound loud even for air...very deadly though...not a bad deal for $200 bucks...I see there are cheaper varieties, dwn to $99 bucks on sale in .177.

have an air rifle that should do the trick.. it's pretty quiet.. except after I clean it.. for some reason put a little rem oil on the thing and it sounds like a 22 for a couple of shots.. never understood that.

Seems a shame to use the air rifle when theres a saiga 12.. but I guess I don't want to talk to the cops either.

have an air rifle that should do the trick.. it's pretty quiet.. except after I clean it.. for some reason put a little rem oil on the thing and it sounds like a 22 for a couple of shots.. never understood that.

Seems a shame to use the air rifle when theres a saiga 12.. but I guess I don't want to talk to the cops either.

The oil ignites from the pressure and thats the sound you hear. I used to have a compressed air rifle that shot 1" groups at 50 yards. Very quite and very final on pidgens, those flying rats.

Doug

Possums are nothing more than overgrown rats. I hate but don't kill them.....cause I live in the suburbs. I live trap the little peckers and turn them loose out in the sticks. Ugly little critters. They stink too!!