Saiga life span

I have put about 6k rounds through my rifle, and I have a few questons and i figure this is the best place to ask.

1)What is the life span of this rifle? How many rounds have you put through your rifle personally?

2)What parts should i expect to have to replace soon?

3) Can I use other AK variant parts in my rifle or are they not interchangeable?

Thanks for your time.

1) Im sure a lot more then 6k have been put though a typical saiga.

2) Weakest parts are ejector, firing pin so if you ever will have to replace something that might be it

3) Yes you can. Saiga is an AK that had a trigger group moved back for a sporting stock configuration in order to import it in to USA Other then that It is the same.

Sorry to piss on your parade. The Saiga bolt assy is different and parts are not the SAME. Saiga firing pin assemblies are 'FREE FLOAT'

Someone said you can use a AK74 firing pin in the 7.62x39 if you have to. This was last years news (maybe someone will chime in).

Tromix had Saiga-12 pins special made.

The extractor issue I don't think has been addressed as of yet.

I'd like an update on this subject also.

Yeah the saigas have the newer ak 100 series parts and since these rifles aren't imported to the states except for the nuetered saigas, the surplus parts are few and far between if any at all. Some parts you can get away with as they are still the same, I believe bolt carrier and piston, stock sets, fcg, don't know what else. I would like to see someone here in US to manufacture a complete bolt assembly including extractor and firing pin.

Dave.

There was a complete write up on here last August that they (AK74 pins) work in both the 5.45 and 7.62x39 Saiga rifles.

Someone said the smaller pin fits in the 7.62x39 bolt aasy just fine and though smaller at the end will still punch the primer and fire with no problems.. I don't know where the post is..

You can search the forums... 021.gif

I know KVar was selling AK74 pins and some other places.. I think for the few $ it may be worth ordering a pin at least and maybe the 'recoil/bolt carrier' spring.

It's unfortunate that replacement Saiga, (AK100 series), bolts, bolt carriers, firing pins, etc are much tougher to come by than the more common AKM parts, but as others have said, you won't likely have to replace any of em.

Currently, the easiest way to get a full set of replacement parts is simply buying an IZ-132. :D

Edited by post-apocalyptic

Last year I tried a surplus AK74 firing pin in my 7.62x39 saiga and vepr and it worked perfect. The 74 firing pin has remained in my saiga since then

and I have fired off several boxes of ammo with zero problems. The 5.45 saiga will use the same firing pin obviously. The AK74 extractor will generally fit

in either saiga caliber but only readily works perfect for the 5.45. The 7.632x39 needs to have the 74 extractor blade curve contour widened a bit for the slightly

different case head diameter. This is the most needed part that will not interchange without the recontour. No vendor is bothering to recontour any extractors

probably because there has not been some organized effort to seek these in some significant quantities. If for instance there was a few hundred people commited

to buying one or more, someone might decide to venture into making these. I will take 5 if the price is $20 or less on each. That is twice what they cost currently

without the recontour.

Unlike many parts-kits rifles out there that use non-chromed, US-made barrels, (e.g. Yugo M70's), Saiga barrels are chrome-lined. They are also brand-new from the factory, in contrast to some other rifles that also have chromed barrels, (e.g. Romanian). That means that they can take that much more wear n tear, (and/or corrosion), before becoming "shot out". I'm not sure how many rounds it would take to genuinely do this.... ~100-130k maybe?

I wouldn't lose any sleep over it. Your rifle's barrel will probably be serviceable long after you're worm-food. :D

Edited by post-apocalyptic

My762buzz. So I can order up an AK74 firing pin and extractor and have a drop-in for my 5.45x39 Saiga. 027.gif

And the firing pin will also function in the 7.62x39... 027.gif

Can you post the info here (without links) so we can all finally order some parts... 009.gif

Who has the lowest price to get the AK74 pins/extractors from?? Any BRAND we should look for??

Finally CLOSURE for 80% of the board...

Um.. How do I take the pin out?? and the extractor?? Its not in the manual.... 015.gif

Im glad we sorted out that AK firing pins work... for 7.62 and 5.45 5.56 :smoke:

The ak74 surplus firing pin is longer and more narrow then the ak47/akm firing pins.

Only the 74 pins work in the saiga 7.62x39 or 5.45. The 5.56 uses a spring loaded firing pin which is different.

If this spring loaded 5.56 firing pin is just like my vepr spring loaded one, then a 74 firing pin could be used,but without the spring altogether.

The big issue ,however, is that commercial domestic .223 uses softer primers and they might be sensitive to a free floating firing pin in which case

the spring loaded design prevents a slam fire or even worse a complete uncontrollable magazine dump as if your gun is in full auto but will not stop until

either the magazine is empty, manually pulled during the event, or you catch the bolt carrier back to stop the cycling. The more practical approach here would be to

notch an ak74 firing pin exactly like the saiga one which would probably mean dremeling off material to match.

My762buzz. So I can order up an AK74 firing pin and extractor and have a drop-in for my 5.45x39 Saiga. 027.gif

And the firing pin will also function in the 7.62x39... 027.gif

Can you post the info here (without links) so we can all finally order some parts... 009.gif

Who has the lowest price to get the AK74 pins/extractors from?? Any BRAND we should look for??

Finally CLOSURE for 80% of the board...

Um.. How do I take the pin out?? and the extractor?? Its not in the manual.... 015.gif

Yes, they should drop right in and work fine.

Kvar is the only place I know that sells them.

To remove the firing pin, use your cleaning kit drift punch with a hammer and tap the retainer pin out just enough. The firing pin will fall right out when the retainer is

out of the way.

By the way, the retainer pin rests along the hollow side of the firing pin head area.

Edited by my762buzz

Saiga rifle's lifespan is approximately your life span x2. Seriously. The parts inside your body are probably going to fail sooner than that rifle :lolol: This one still works:

Jeebus :eek: really? Jeez...it may work but...was that one of Mikhail's first? LOLOLOL...

A 5.45 pin may work, but it is a little smaller in diameter than the 7.62 pin, so it's not ideal.

I'm hoping my factory firing pin will hold up until Saiga, (AK-103), firing pins are available for sale over here.... and it almost certainly will. If you need another firing pin right now, at least the 5.45 pin is an option.

I think you mean the pin contact tip surface area and not the long pin shaft.

I put several boxes of ammo through the rifle with the 5.45 pin and have not pierced a primer yet.

2vjx3r6.jpg

If anyone's firing pin should happen to break, your going to have an expensive paperweight laying around waiting for Russia to

send spare parts which is probably never going to happen. A 5.45 pin works fine and thats after trying it out with Wolf, Military Classic,

Brown Bear, Fiochi, and Double Tap ammo and no primers pierced still. I researched it for a week and could not ever find any info that would indicate that a 5.45 primer has a thicker shell.

Edited by my762buzz

Yes, I meant the "point" of the pin; where it actually strikes the primer.

I will defer to your experience here. If you've used one extensively and haven't had any pierced primers, then I guess the 5.45 firing pin works well enough. And of course, you're sadly right that we may never get AK-100 series replacement parts over here, so this may be the only solution should your factory 7.62 pin break.

I think you mean the pin contact tip surface area and not the long pin shaft.

I put several boxes of ammo through the rifle with the 5.45 pin and have not pierced a primer yet.

2vjx3r6.jpg

If anyone's firing pin should happen to break, your going to have an expensive paperweight laying around waiting for Russia to

send spare parts which is probably never going to happen. A 5.45 pin works fine and thats after trying it out with Wolf, Military Classic,

Brown Bear, Fiochi, and Double Tap ammo and no primers pierced still. I researched it for a week and could not ever find any info that would indicate that a 5.45 primer has a thicker shell.

I think this has been discussed in the past. The 5.45 firing pin is a little different than the 7.62 firing pin. My concern was that the smaller diameter tip might puncture a 7.62 primer. I installed a 5.45 firing pin and 5.45 extractor in a Saiga bolt. I fired a few "primer only" cases and didn't get a punctured primer. 762's experience firing quite a few rounds suggests it may not be a problem.

The 5.45 extractor would extract dummy rounds from the chamber, although the cartridge rims were a little chewed up due to the tighter curvature of the 5.45 extractor. BTW, a typical 7.62 extractor is a different type than the Saiga 7.62 extractor. The Saiga 7.62 extractor looks like a claw (AK-74 style) while the typical 7.62 extractor is more like a cylinder.

Some Saiga owners (myself included) are uneasy with guns that we can't buy spare parts for, especially vital parts like extractors and firing pins. However, as near as I can tell, AK extractors almost never fail. T. Mark Graham ("the gunplumber") reports that he has seen ONE extractor failure in the thousands of AKs that have passed through his hands over the years.

I think this must be true because thousands are shooting Saigas and no seems to ever report having a useless rifle because the extractor broke.