AK74 style brake for Saiga AK

I primarily want a muzzle brake that will reduce recoil and help keep me on target. I don't care about flash suppression. Anyway.

I could have sworn I remember Nalioth and others saying the AK74 "style" brakes were bad--but now I can't remember.

I know I've read that the TAPCO version was definitely bad since it didn't have certain chambers that a real imitation AK74 brake has.

SO is there an affordable (less than $50) version that is on par or superior to the JTAC and FSC47? I've seen one at Brownell's--is that one good?

The ones at KVAR are too expensive and out of stock; the ones at <Link Removed> are $90, which would just mean I'd get an FSC47 or JTAC.

Edited by Nailbomb
Non-Buisness member link Removed

Arizona Tactical Response has them. They have 2 different Bulgarian models for $25.00 + $6.50 shipping. That is where I got mine. Their ad says "same unit for 5.45, 5.56 and 7.62, but they lie. You need to bore it out to .40 for use with 7.62. My rounds were going all over the place and had lots of "splash" in the brake vents. Still, an awesome part for the price. Check the "Store" link then the "AK-47" link.

Hope this helps,

The Dinzag one is a TAPCO AK-74 brake. However, the standard AK barrel is a shorter distance from sight block to muzzle than on the Saiga. So, if you take an AK brake and thread your Saiga muzzle, it will have a gap about a little under 1/2" between the back of the brake, and the front sight block. What DInzag does is take a TAPCO Ak brake and he reams out and threads more of the inside so it will thread all the way to against the front sight block.

That said, I wouldn't bother with the US made brakes. I put a TAPCO 74 brake on my 5.45 and a TAPCO slant brake on my 762 they're 14x1 LH American made and there's really no difference in recoil that I can tell. If you want it for style go ahead, but if you're looking for function get the real deal Soviet 24x1 LH threaded brakes and thread your muzzle/get a threaded FSB that way, don't bother with the american ones.

That said, I wouldn't bother with the US made brakes. I put a TAPCO 74 brake on my 5.45 and a TAPCO slant brake on my 762 they're 14x1 LH American made and there's really no difference in recoil that I can tell. If you want it for style go ahead, but if you're looking for function get the real deal Soviet 24x1 LH threaded brakes and thread your muzzle/get a threaded FSB that way, don't bother with the american ones.

How did you go about threading your 5.45? Did you have a gunsmith do it?

Thanks.

How did you go about threading your 5.45? Did you have a gunsmith do it?

Thanks.

No I threaded it myself. All you need to remove the collar on the end of the barrel is a dremel tool, there's a good tutorial in the .223 section. Once the collar's off I used Dinzag's rented threading kit for $65 to thread the muzzle 14x1 LH and then from there a little loc-tite will hold the brake on just fine. It's actually pretty simple to do and takes maybe an hour or so. I live in NJ so I had to braze mine on with silver solder and a propylene torch afterwards.

...That said, I wouldn't bother with the US made brakes. I put a TAPCO 74 brake on my 5.45 and a TAPCO slant brake on my 762 they're 14x1 LH American made and there's really no difference in recoil that I can tell. If you want it for style go ahead, but if you're looking for function get the real deal Soviet 24x1 LH threaded brakes and thread your muzzle/get a threaded FSB that way, don't bother with the american ones.

'Fraid you're talking out your ass here, my friend. The Arsenal AK74-type 24x1.5mm RH brakes are correct and servicable, as are the AK-103.com brakes; both made in the USA.

I've read the Brownell's one was an actual, functional copy--like Arsenal and AK-103.com....can anyone confirm this? They're much less expensive.

No, they're the cheap look-a-likes (same as Crapco).

...That said, I wouldn't bother with the US made brakes. I put a TAPCO 74 brake on my 5.45 and a TAPCO slant brake on my 762 they're 14x1 LH American made and there's really no difference in recoil that I can tell. If you want it for style go ahead, but if you're looking for function get the real deal Soviet 24x1 LH threaded brakes and thread your muzzle/get a threaded FSB that way, don't bother with the american ones.

'Fraid you're talking out your ass here, my friend. The Arsenal AK74-type 24x1.5mm RH brakes are correct and servicable, as are the AK-103.com brakes; both made in the USA.

Yeah. The Arsenal breaks are the direct copies of the very effective Eastern Block originals. They do work very well.

i have a AK-74 style brake from Tapco and it was already factory threaded far enough to fit flush against my FSB. what does dinag do to them that makes it differant. i really like the Tapco unit, it seems to have good quility and finish.

I too bought a Tapco AK-74 style brake from a source other than Dinzag. I fully expected to not have it thread all the way back to the FSB. Surprise, surprise, it was deeply threaded and did go back to the FSB. Since I'm doing the brake more for "the look," low price for this "ornament" was the driver.

'Fraid you're being picky. You notice I said 24x1 brakes good, 14x1 brakes bad? Or were you in too much of a rush to defend your boys at Arsenal?

Arsenal ones are copies of the Soviet ones and therefore work fine.

Edited by Klassy Kalashnikov

Yeah I too can testify that the Tapco Ak-74 brake is threaded a full inch. I can also say that it does help to reduce my muzzle flip, probably a 50-60% reduction over no brake. Not a complete waste of money. What it probably doesnt do as well as a "genuine" ak-74 brake is push the muzzle back to the left, because the gas ports are along the centerline and not slightly canted to the right (to kick it down and left).

Edited by drfury

What it probably doesnt do as well as a "genuine" ak-74 brake is push the muzzle back to the left, because the gas ports are along the centerline and not slightly canted to the right (to kick it down and left).

Has anyone considered drilling in a third gas port that would give it that kick to the left?

'Fraid you're being picky. You notice I said 24x1 brakes good, 14x1 brakes bad? Or were you in too much of a rush to defend your boys at Arsenal?...

Nah, I just posted that while drunk. :D Note the time-stamp.

Is anyone familiar enough with the JTAC47 ($69.99) and the Arsenal (KVAR) 140US ($67.99--see link below) to tell me which would reduce recoil and muzzle-rise the most?

<link removed>

While I have the FSC47 for my first Saiga-AK (and love it), I'm wanting to get something to compare it to (and spend less money).

Edited by Nailbomb
Non-Buisness Member Link Removed

'Fraid you're being picky. You notice I said 24x1 brakes good, 14x1 brakes bad? Or were you in too much of a rush to defend your boys at Arsenal?...

Nah, I just posted that while drunk. :D Note the time-stamp.

You know just for being so honest I gotta say good man :) No hard feelings! :super:

What it probably doesnt do as well as a "genuine" ak-74 brake is push the muzzle back to the left, because the gas ports are along the centerline and not slightly canted to the right (to kick it down and left).

Has anyone considered drilling in a third gas port that would give it that kick to the left?

Ive thought about it, but honestly I dont know if it would really do me any good. Its satisfactory the way it is right now, but thats just my opinion (having never compared it to another brake type).