Need help choosing plinking ammo

Ive shot wolf for years back when it was 79.99 a case :blues:

Brown and silver bear shoot threw a good bit of that stuff been buying that lately cause cant find wolf and have not seen golden tiger realy any where seen it once or twice at the past few shows

but as far as wolf brown/silver bear good stuff wolf yeah is kinda dirty but its an ak damn thing will just work :super:

ignotus137,

Just a head up for you if you're from Southern California, most of the range here doesn't allow steel core ammo unless you shoot in the desert or private land. If that is the case, you will have to with either Fiocchi or Yugo ammo. Right now, SGAmmo have 1000 rounds of Golden Tiger for $199.

ignotus137,

Just a head up for you if you're from Southern California, most of the range here doesn't allow steel core ammo unless you shoot in the desert or private land. If that is the case, you will have to with either Fiocchi or Yugo ammo. Right now, SGAmmo have 1000 rounds of Golden Tiger for $199.

I think you can at south bay rod and gun club I saw some guy on YouTube shooting silver bear

Have you ordered from sgammo before the reason I ask is cause my MacAfee said this Adware, spyware, or viruses (1)

I stay away from anything coming out of Tula (including most Wolf brands except Wolf "Military Classic" which is made elseware and is some of the best plinking ammo Ive shot). I would go with brown bear or Golden Tiger or Yugo Surplus or Ulyanovsk.

I'm also new to this weapon and its ammo, but have started off with Golden Bear (not Tiger)..

I'm wondering why no one suggested this Bear ammo. It's brass-plated steel cartridge.

Would the Brown Bear be just as good (it's cheaper). I do notice that after shooting a bunch of it,

when cleaning gun, there's little flecks of brass around the chamber/bolt area.

Guess that's the brass coating being scratched off during cycling.

Has anyone noticed similar debris using Silver Bear?

It isn't that much, just a little bit, for 60 or so rounds fired.

Compared to my other firearms and ammo, gun is a bit more dirty for the same number of shots fired,

but no big deal.. the ammo seems consistant when target shooting, and haven't had any misfires/problems

with it yet. But I'll have to try the cheaper Silver or Brown Bear if they shoot just as good.

Brown Bear and Silver Bear shoot just as well as Golden Bear. Their casings are just different. Brown Bear fouls the receiver the most, but still, it's easy to clean up. All Barnaul ammo, ("Bear" ammo), shoots far cleaner than Wolf. I do like Wolf "Military Classic" JHP though, and I recommend buying some if you find it for a decent price.

Brown Bear and Silver Bear shoot just as well as Golden Bear. Their casings are just different. Brown Bear fouls the receiver the most, but still, it's easy to clean up. All Barnaul ammo, ("Bear" ammo), shoots far cleaner than Wolf. I do like Wolf "Military Classic" JHP though, and I recommend buying some if you find it for a decent price.

You probably like the Wolf MC because its made at the Ulyanovsk Machine Tool Plant under contract and rebranded. Tula has unacceptable quality control. I agree about Barnaul ammo.

ignotus137,

I think you can at south bay rod and gun club I saw some guy on YouTube shooting silver bear

Have you ordered from sgammo before the reason I ask is cause my MacAfee said this Adware, spyware, or viruses (1)

Yes, I have ordered ammo from them in the past with no problem whatsoever. Shipping to Cali is very reasonable too (around $20/case). There is a thread on Calguns forum with lot of satisfied customers from this vendor and Golden Tiger.

I'm also new to this weapon and its ammo, but have started off with Golden Bear (not Tiger)..

I'm wondering why no one suggested this Bear ammo. It's brass-plated steel cartridge.

Would the Brown Bear be just as good (it's cheaper). I do notice that after shooting a bunch of it,

when cleaning gun, there's little flecks of brass around the chamber/bolt area.

Guess that's the brass coating being scratched off during cycling.

Has anyone noticed similar debris using Silver Bear?

It isn't that much, just a little bit, for 60 or so rounds fired.

Compared to my other firearms and ammo, gun is a bit more dirty for the same number of shots fired,

but no big deal.. the ammo seems consistant when target shooting, and haven't had any misfires/problems

with it yet. But I'll have to try the cheaper Silver or Brown Bear if they shoot just as good.

I forgot about golden bear does the brass plated steel cartridge make a difference and out of brown/silver how does it compare.

The cheapest, non-corrosive commercial shit you can get. I never had a problem with any it, even the much maligned Wold "Black Box" (I think their QC has improved in the past few years). Out of the choices you listed, I would go for the Brown Bear. Rather accurate ammo. I recently broke the 2" grouping barrier with my 7.62x39, using Brown Bear HPs. The only drawback to that ammo is that it does foul the bolt and the receiver with some red lacquer sealant residue, but not that much. Plus, that stuff is not sticky or anything; easy to clean off.

ignotus137,

ive bought from SGammo.com they have great prices on shipping and its preatty quick to get here... i also live in souther cali, and it gets to me by a week.

I have been using the tula ammo for the past few months its cheap and I cant recall a single issue since using it. i also use the WOlf classic same thing. I have shot the brown bear and tiger in the past all without issue. If it was me i would take any of them based upon whichever was cheapest lol

I stay away from anything coming out of Tula (including most Wolf brands except Wolf "Military Classic" which is made elseware and is some of the best plinking ammo Ive shot). I would go with brown bear or Golden Tiger or Yugo Surplus or Ulyanovsk.

+1 Brown bear and Silver bear are very accurate, and in my experience cleaning burning than Black Box Wolf (Have shot the military classic, yet) I am using 124 grain SP Brown bear for plinking and defense since it costs about the same as FMJ.

where you finding the golden tiger? that stuff is great...

SGAmmo.com have some golden tiger back in stock for $199/case. Bought a case this morning! :)

So much ammo so little money...maybe if I would quit shooting it up perhaps?

In my experience, Wolf Black Box and Tula are fine. Only problem I've had is one Wolf cartridge came through without a primer. Cleanup hasn't been a problem, but then I don't rip through dozens of 30-rd mags in a range session.

I built up a stock of Wolf BB last year when ammo was scarce. Now I'm shooting up that and replacing it with other stuff as I go. The only reason I'm not buying more Wolf, is that prices are better on other brands.

Haven't used much Tula. Asked about it here in the .223 forum a couple of weeks ago. Responses were positive, so I bought some Tula .223. Looks and fires just like the Wolf so far.

Bob

• 4 weeks later...

Im in the middle of the dreaded 10 waiting period for my saiga 7.62x39……im scared help :eek: …..jk

So basically ive been scouring the internet for information on the ammo im about to list below and im getting so many mixed reviews some people just absolutely swearing by it and other people saying it’s the equivalent to taking a dumb down your barrel so could you guys please help me make a good decision

Out of all of these which one would you get and why?

Golden Tiger

7.62x39 - 124 gr FMJ-BT - Golden Tiger - 1000 Rounds $230.00

Wolf

7.62x39mm FMJ Wolf Performance Ammunition 1000 $219.00

Tula

7.62x39mm FMJ Russian Ammunition 1000 Round $217.99

Brown Bear

Ammo 7.62x39, Brown Bear, HP, 123 Grain, 500 Round Case Bimetal, Non Corrosive, Steel Case, Berdan Primed $109.97

Silver Bear

Ammo 7.62x39 Silver Bear, HP, 123 Grain, 500 Round Case Steel Cased, Berdan Primed, Non Corrosive $123.39

Personally like Yugo M67 Surplus ammo. Its corrosive. Just make sure you clean good afterwards. Brown and silver bear are good as well.

Very Lightly corrosive, only the primer is involved. At under .16 a round its the best deal in years.

The 15.9 cent price is for two crates or more.

Edited by Rhodes1968