• 3 weeks later...

You guys know if any 5.45's come with threads from the factory? In my state 5.45's are legal but a threaded muzzle would turn it into an assault weapon if converted to PG format(restoration). Seeing as the 5.45 is on the shortlist for my next Saiga I'm very interested in this because it would be legal with the threaded muzzle as long as I didn't convert it, then I could pin a muzzle brake on and do the full conversion and save a step(threading the barrel). Just curious is all. Can you tell if there are threads under the FSB by looking at one without it off and if so where about am I looking for this. Thanks!

ETA: In my state it is illegal to own an "ak style weapon" that is in the caliber of 7.62x39. Anything else is game. Gotta love politicians making laws about guns that they don't know a freaking thing about... I guess they never heard of AK-74?

Edited by ThirtyAughtSix

i did, and sure enough there were threads!i could see the threads barely at the end of the barrel,under the front sight block shroud.mine is a 7.62&39,made in 3-09.

it looks as though i may hay threads hiding under there too, ill cut it off later and report back. *fingers crossed

edit: can anyone recommend a distance to cut back? i was planning on using a wheeled pipe cutter for ease and uniformity (but i do have a dremel). also how do we keep muzzle brakes from unscrewing without the fsb pin? threadlocker? solder? high temp threadlocker? duct tape? wood screws? left over bread bag twist ties? a stern talking-to? i must knoooooow!

Edited by h0pper
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

i did, and sure enough there were threads!i could see the threads barely at the end of the barrel,under the front sight block shroud.mine is a 7.62&39,made in 3-09.

5.45 made 3-09 and I was convinced I had a threaded barrel based on the gap in between the shroud and barrel... didnt happen. Just be ready to accept the fact that after you cut your shroud, you will have to thread it on your own.