Promag 10 round = fail ??

So I picked up a pair of Promag 10 round mags from the gun show a few weeks ago, and now I am going to take them to the range to test them out...

I loaded them with 10 rounds each, and then tried to remove the rounds...

As I push the rounds out at the top of the magazine, they do not come out smoothly, and every few rounds they fail to move upwards, as if they are stuck in the magazine because it is almost too tight / small.

Did I need to "prep" these magazines first or something? Am I doing it wrong? Or do Promags suck, and I just didn't know it?

Thanks for your enlightenment...

JPanzer speaks the truth.

Since you already bought them, you might as well try to get them running. Do a search (I'm sure you're going to find eleventy billion threads to wade through) and there's fixes out there.

"Looks like these things are going up for sale, try and recoup some of my $$$." :devil:

Why dont you try to contact pro mag about it or fix them yourself. As others have stated with a little work they can be made to work. :angel:

Edited by raidersfan_5544

Bah humbug! I thought I was getting a good deal on a pair of mags, thats what I get for not doing some research first.

Looks like these things are going up for sale, try and recoup some of my $$$.

You're not going to get a lot for them (unless you find a naive sucker), so I'd recommend just trying to get them to work and relegating them to range-duty-only. That's what I would have done if I could ever have gotten mine to work.

Yeah, word of caution, beware at gun shows. I've had guys at the local gun shows try to screw me because they assume since I'm young, I'm also ignorant. F**k that. I saw one guy selling a saiga 12 (sporting configuration), and when I inquired about it, he tried telling me that it was an "Assault shotgun" used by the russian military and that the barrel nut, was used for bashing doors down. yeah, right.

Personally, I don't even go to those shows anymore, I'd rather buy from our vendors.

Sorry for my tirade, like others have said, try to make em' work, and now you know for next time.

This mag had been problematic due to to narrow of an interior diameter.

The problem was fixed by inserting a small hammers handle into the magazine body, twisting the handle, so as to spread the mag a touch & boiling it for approximately 10 seconds.

I let it cool with the hammer handle still inserted, so it would not collapse back while cooling.

I also had to spread the spring steel reinforcement / guide at the rear of the mag, to reduce pressure & prevent the guide from re-collapsing the mag body over time.

To fix the follower from raising too high, do the same (inserting something slightly larger & boiling for 5 seconds) to the follower to make the follower's runners stay in the guide channels inside the mag.

This was done after the test & worked on a later test.

ProMag must improve the rigidity of their product in order for them to be dependable in my opinion.

And yes, I do lean into it, but I had already put 300 #6 shot & 60 of .00 buck through it with an AKM buttstock....

My shoulder was a little sore by the time this vid was taken.

What say you fellows of the pro-mag 5er?

I seem to get good feeding from them, but they always stovepipe the last one.

That was with low brass, I can't recall what it does on high, and whether or not

the factory mag did it on low brass too. More testing is in order.

My Saiga's a bit picky, it's one of the ones that came with a tuned mag with its

serial number on it (a recent thing, I have read here), so maybe that means something.

What say you fellows of the pro-mag 5er?

I seem to get good feeding from them, but they always stovepipe the last one.

That was with low brass, I can't recall what it does on high, and whether or not

the factory mag did it on low brass too. More testing is in order.

My Saiga's a bit picky, it's one of the ones that came with a tuned mag with its

serial number on it (a recent thing, I have read here), so maybe that means something.

Pro-Mag stick mags are sketchy, at best. If you already have them, either try to fix them or sell them off at a loss. If you don't already have them.......then forget about them completely and look at AGP's or Surefires.

For 5 rounders, I would personally put up a WTB ad for some factory 5 rounders. I know there's quite a few people who don't even bother to use them after getting into bigger capacity stick mags or drums.

I started buying six bottles of wine !!! (I wasn´t sure if it was going to work with just one cork).

After I drunk the six bottles, I found out that my mags are Surefire !!!

I lol'ed for real. :lolol:

I know ProMag has a questionable rep. in the past with certain mags. Read awhile back they reorganized and were here to make things right. Got a lifetime warranty. Send them in, more than likely get some revamped. Noticed a lot of gunshow dealers have old stock. :rolleyes: Seen AGP's with the old style metal top sold as new. :devil: Remember, before update (sent out by AGP) when shells would fly out? :cryss: So, if a person bought those, they would call them crap and trash AGP. :rolleyes: Now, you were unaware of original problem, you have the knowledge and options to fix. So, fix yourself, or give ProMag a shot to make right. :smoke: