New Tromix gas bypass regulator (pic)

Nate, I recall our e-mails at the time. I personally didn't think there was much of market/need and had other things on my plate at the time so it got shelved like many of my other designs. Recently, I was in the midst of moving my shop and stumbled upon an old wadded up yellow pad that had Bob and I's design on it. I dusted it off and made up a few....and fuck, the thing actually works. I need to test it some more before we run them. There is a huge difference in gas regulating a 19" gun and regulating an eight incher. This thing was designed specifically to soften up the gas slap coming off 3" shells in an 8" Tromix S-17.

Whether or not it will help an under-gassed gun, I don't know. That wasn't part of the design criteria at the time and I haven't tested it in that arena.

Tony

Yeah, at the time,I wasn't really thinking about the short guns. Mostly, it was about more efficiency, and the ability to adjust without tools.

My new one is also a bypass design. I have one, 2 actually, but a newer prototype, and there is the rub. It works in a regular gun, but put it in a short gun, and it's spotty. Still tinkering. I don't have much time to mess with it, though. Too much other crap going on, and I'm way behind.

• 1 month later...

Tony,

Any updates on the status of these? Even in light of self regulating plugs coming to fruition I believe the ability to fine tune gas flow to perfection has a tremendous amount of appeal, especially when operating an SBS design.

Zach

Kross, LLC

Neato! This will be a definite must-have until someone can market a self-regulating gas system!027.gif

I finally quit just reading the site and registered to ask:

Why doesn't someone make one?

After seeing this I was stuck thinking about it last night and not getting sleep.

I'm not a gun smith (would love to be one just have no idea how one learns... other than breaking guns at home) was my college paintball team's air smith ~15 years ago so I may be completely wrong here.

It takes a given amount of pressure to cycle the gun. It doesn't matter if you are feeding it 3" or cheap birdshot the force required to cycle it will be the same (possible changes with temp but other than that).

So you make a thread in with an opening that is plugged. The plug is held in place by a spring. you start with a light spring that is light enough you will vent too much gas and the gun will not cycle, you move up in spring weight until the gun cycles. After that it will blow off any pressure above what it takes to cycle the gun out through the vents cut in the body of the device.

If you want to make it nicer you put an internal screw in the thing run an allen through it and attach that to something like a knurled top/end that is held in with spring loaded bearings. This would allow the end to be twisted to increase/decrease the spring pressure rather than playing a spring swapping game (clicky bearing would keep it from backing out easy). Maybe put some purrty fluting on the sides of the thing to really nice it up.

I considered whether the gas entrance in the gun end of the device should be a cone facing one direction or the other (either a venturi that is sealed with a pointed rod or a cone that is sealed by a rod with a cone shape cut into it.). A flat rod might work just fine.

Is the problem that this would be a dirty device that requires an irritating amount of cleaning? Would it foul to quickly?

I do not have the motivation to try building one to test this theory (40 mile drive to the only shop I have access, where unfortunately most of the tools are buried)... and it is not like my wife would allow me to experiment on her saiga or that I currently have the funds to buy my own saiga (soon hopefully.. soon).

Sorry if I have missed any basic problems or points of failure.

The self-regulating valve is in no way as simple as an airsoft or even a regular AK gas system.

The variance of load pressures is incredibly wide on a shotgun. Also there is a timing aspect to the piston strike.

The self-regulating valve is in no way as simple as an airsoft or even a regular AK gas system.

The variance of load pressures is incredibly wide on a shotgun. Also there is a timing aspect to the piston strike.

Ah, cool. I figured there was a pretty big pressure delta between low base and HV 3". I just have no idea how much, is it an order of magnitude?

Yeah, I haven't pulled my RPK apart that much (it amuses people the times it has been broken down... well OK, I also clean it when I feel the OCD coming on), I consider it an art piece and so haven't even taken it to the range or owned ammo for it.

I wondered about pressure variation. So if you widened the opening this would help a bit but in the end you'd end with people swapping out the upper gas system for some freakish big pipe solution (and the associated blocked LOS) just to avoid manual changes and to make sure it could deal with anything? Or am I misunderstanding?

Side thought that wandered through my brain. Do we not see these things or come to think of it; SPAS 15, USAS in movies, because they do not cycle blanks well?

Edited by Crackhead Johny
  • 3 months later...
I also knew someone else had done one similar to mine, before mine, but with more positions, and shelved it.

That'a be me :donatello:

I made a few on a manual lathe, and it was a pain.

I asked our CNC guy at work to make a program for them, but he told me to "pound sand" :lolol:

Your's was prolly a bit nicer/polished than mine anyways.

Cheers.

Matt@C&S