First I just want to say im not attacking anyone or sayn anything about anyones website. just the facts about what happened and what I use. Plain and simple, sometimes shit gets on peoples computers cuz of lame ass people who create that crap, and there is nothing we can do about it except deal with it. I am just posting this in attempt to help others that are looking for an opnion.

Damn Trojans!

I have avast anti virus, the free version.

How I found the trojan was I clicked on the link on this forum that says "recently added topics" on the right hand side, and then "KVAR 4th of JULY SALE" link and as soon as I got to the KVAR page avast poped up and said that a TROJAN had been blocked. Im not sure how to get rid of it. Avast's Boot time Scan might do it. Im not sure what anti-virus you use but here is the link for avast to down load it. http://download.cnet.com/Avast-Free-Antivirus/3000-2239_4-10019223.html I downloaded it again just now to make sure there wasnt anything bad in it. But if you do download and setup, they will make you register it by sending you a registration number in a email. you will just have to put in that #. Goto Maintenance menu dropdown menu on the left after you are setup, and click on registration, and near the bottom of the screen there will be a place to click to enter the #. post-24335-037342200 1278176720_thumb.jpg

Sorry for the crappy phone pic, but its all I have at the moment. I spoke with my tech guy and he says that it should do it.

Ive used a couple of different antivirus's in the past and to this day, I think avast is the best. mainly because of the performance and its free. But what do I know, there are probably better antiviruses out there. This is just what I like to use.

I hope this helps. I fukn hate Trojans and any other virus,worms, etc.

Oyeah, on the down load page click on the download now,

post-24335-088859300 1278180909_thumb.jpg

NOT START DOWNLOAD in YELLOW!

• Like 2

When my 'puter got punked some time ago it got in through a worm that placed a fake AVG update window over the real one! Destroyed the entire Windows boot sector. Made my poor 'puter a Zombie!

First I just want to say im not attacking anyone or sayn anything about anyones website. just the facts about what happened and what I use. Plain and simple, sometimes shit gets on peoples computers cuz of lame ass people who create that crap, and there is nothing we can do about it except deal with it. I am just posting this in attempt to help others that are looking for an opnion.

Damn Trojans!

How I found the trojan was I clicked on the link on this forum that says "recently added topics" on the right hand side, and then "KVAR 4th of JULY SALE" link and as soon as I got to the KVAR page avast poped up and said that a TROJAN had been blocked. Im not sure how to get rid of it. Avast's Boot time Scan might do it. Im not sure what anti-virus you use but here is the link for avast to down load it. http://download.cnet.com/Avast-Free-Antivirus/3000-2239_4-10019223.html I downloaded it again just now to make sure there wasnt anything bad in it. But if you do download and setup, they will make you register it by sending you a registration number in a email. you will just have to put in that #. Goto Maintenance menu dropdown menu on the left after you are setup, and click on registration, and near the bottom of the screen there will be a place to click to enter the #. post-24335-037342200 1278176720_thumb.jpg

Sorry for the crappy phone pic, but its all I have at the moment. I spoke with my tech guy and he says that it should do it.

Ive used a couple of different antivirus's in the past and to this day, I think avast is the best. mainly because of the performance and its free. But what do I know, there are probably better antiviruses out there. This is just what I like to use.

So Im confused. Is there a Trojan on this forum I should be worried about? Or is this a false positive?

You guys keep in mind that any US-made antivirus has a government-required "back door" (so they can install monitoring software w/o you knowing).

How long do you think it'd take Johnny Cracker to find this "back door", once s/he knows it's there?

Just another reason I switched to linux.

• Like 1

I've seen you (Nalioth) and many others recommend Linux, many times.

How hard is it to switch?

Is it something that someone who is 1/4 retarded could do?

Is the fact that I've only ever used Windows going to be a problem for transitioning?

Is it free?

Any other benefits, other than the less chances of getting viruses and/or spyware?

Is the fact that I've only ever used Windows going to be a problem for transitioning?

Is it free?

Any other benefits, other than the less chances of getting viruses and/or spyware?

I got tired of Windows crashing and getting infected a while ago and made the switch to Linux Mint. It's the easiest switch-Ubunto is a little more hands on. I haven't had a crash or virus since. The only thing it can't do is play Windows based games, you can make it do it, but I haven't figured it out yet. It's free, easy, and it auto updates about once a week. You can also run Windows and Linux together if you want.

It's as easy as booting up the Ubuntu LiveCD in your computer.

Deaf and blind people do it.

Can you run a mouse? Linux is point-and-click just like windows. Other than that, the only issue is learning that "gedit"¹ = "notepad"

Is it free?

The only cost is you learning the names of the programs (as mentioned above).

It doesn't send any info to the mother ship like windows does.

It doesn't have the "crash at 49 days" bug, like windows does [i've had my system running for over 7 months at a time]

99.7% of all linux software is free, and most every Windows application has at least one analogue on the linux side. So you like photoshop but can't afford the $$$? Gimp is available in linux (and windows, too), it uses photoshop plugins and it's FREE.

Here is a list of windows analogues (it's old, but still valid)

You can also run Windows and Linux together if you want.

As ktcm7271 says, you can dual boot (have both OS' available at boot time) your system and switch back and forth until you're comfortable with linux. At that time, you can flush windows and get the space on the hard drive back for better usage.

[1] There are sometimes dozens (or more) of analogues for windows programs, not just one.

Edited by nalioth
  • Like 2

I have found only one problem with dual booting.. Windows 7 did not like sharing. tried it on my wifes laptop several times would work then crash.. So got rid of windows 7 on that computer all together. i dual boot on my desktop. with xp no problem. Also make sure you get the right ubuntu 32 or 64 bit. if you want all the bells and whistles built in try ubuntu ultimate.

Damn Trojans!

So Im confused. Is there a Trojan on this forum I should be worried about? Or is this a false positive?

it was just on the kvar page for the 4th of july sale on friday I think. I posted a warning to others on it and kvar replied that it was taken care of so im sure its no longer there. It didnt affect my computer. just when I went to the site the first time, it said one had been blocked.

So to answer your question, no. According to kvar it has been taken care of.

Is it free?

I'd suggest a couple of options. I do not care much for boot camp sort of crap.

Multi OS loader:

http://www.osloader.com/

Or a virtual machine:

http://www.parallels.com/

If you are going down the Linux route, the Smurfs seem to have gravitated to Ubuntu.

http://distrowatch.com/dwres.php?resource=major

Good luck,

Yakdung

The "boot camp sort of crap" has been around for as long as we've had personal confusers. It's called a "boot loader" and until Apple switched to Intel chips (and running multiple OS' was possible on Apple hardware) it hadn't been well known to the windows-using public.

Multi OS loader:

Can you say "grub"? It comes with every linux installation and works seamlessly with all your installed OS'.

Or a virtual machine:

Virtual machines are good, BUT, you need a machine with some high horsepower to run them. It's also a lot better to run a VM from a linux or OS X install than on top of Windows (windows can't even keep itself going, ya know).

If you are going down the Linux route, the Smurfs seem to have gravitated to Ubuntu.

It is easy to install and use (it was designed to be that way).

The "boot camp sort of crap" has been around for as long as we've had personal confusers. It's called a "boot loader" and until Apple switched to Intel chips (and running multiple OS' was possible on Apple hardware) it hadn't been well known to the windows-using public.

Multi OS loader:

Can you say "grub"? It comes with every linux installation and works seamlessly with all your installed OS'.

I can say "grub" and that is about as lame as it gets. I would suggest something alone these lines:

http://www.osloader.com/

Or a virtual machine:

Virtual machines are good, BUT, you need a machine with some high horsepower to run them. It's also a lot better to run a VM from a linux or OS X install than on top of Windows (windows can't even keep itself going, ya know).

No problem with present day CPU's that are multicore.

Ubuntu is for folks migrating from Windoz that don't know any better and require crutches.

Yakdung

Multi OS loader:

Or a virtual machine:

I've got an older Compaq Presario sr1850nx and wifey has a sr1820nx. I installed Linux Mint 64x on both. She virtual boxed Windows xp on hers with no problem. I upgraded to AMD 4000+ chips for both, 4 gigs of ram for both-it never uses more than 2.8 at a time when on dual monitor with a game and vid running, and put a 1 gig gpu in both. I'll put a AMD 4800+ dual core in some day and that will keep me relevant for a while. Her pc is dual monitored to our 65" dlp tv-bootlegs anyone? I still can't believe that less than 10% of pc's run Linux while most servers, pda's, etc. already do.

Interesting.... I have been hearing Linux Linux Linux for a long time and not wanting to have to start all over with something new. Maybe it's time if it can be run at the same time as XP (on the same machine I mean). I use AVG (free version) and I thought it was supposed to work but I swear something must be wrong with my laptop because these forum pages usually take up to a whole minute to load....it SUCKS when trying to get anything done.

Is anyone else having these probs with slow page reloads here, or is it just my puter has some kind of virus or something? I had hoped it would improve when Max upgraded the software this last time but it's still just as slow for me....

Is anyone else having these probs with slow page reloads here, or is it just my puter has some kind of virus or something? I had hoped it would improve when Max upgraded the software this last time but it's still just as slow for me....

Software upgrades are only half of it, Cobra.

The forum is running on hardware that doesn't allow it to run too fast for the load it's under.

(IOW, it's slow for all of us)

Interesting.... I have been hearing Linux Linux Linux for a long time and not wanting to have to start all over with something new. Maybe it's time if it can be run at the same time as XP (on the same machine I mean). I use AVG (free version) and I thought it was supposed to work but I swear something must be wrong with my laptop because these forum pages usually take up to a whole minute to load....it SUCKS when trying to get anything done.

Cobra, Do this if you are running Windoz... find and download a free program called "Sam Spade 1.14" Once loaded it contains a few bag of tricks that emulate tools that were pilfered from the Unix world. It will aid in possibly tracking and pinpointing the source of the bottleneck on the net. If you are going to venture into the exciting world of Linux, I would like to suggest finding an older PC and installing it on that. There are distributions that boot from CDROM but that is a lame experience and approach in my view. This should be utilized as a learning experience in configuring the disk partitions, net etc... . Linux is really a superior OS and better than anything on the commercial market but could possibly have some limitations for you. You have to approach Linux backward in that you have to determine first what you want it to do for you and the old hardware you have and then proceed. Remember Linux is extremely flexible and powerful but you have to determine how you can get it to work for you. Microsoft does not produce anything that comes close in the market place. Bill Joy and Donald Becker knew this from the beginning and the rest is history...

To give you an idea I have been using these sites for years and are a good repository for Linux apps:

http://www.icewalkers.com/

http://sourceforge.net/

Good luck to you,

Yakdung

• Like 1

Well, I hate to suggest it, but for business members here, or other heavy traffic users of this site, I would recommend getting an ad-blocker installed. If you are doing a massive amount of page loads on here, the ad server sometimes drags ass here, and by blocking the ads it serves, you will get MUCH faster page loads here. If you are a "guru" in networking, take a look at your openx.org threads in your tp/ip layer, and how lagged they are....blocking this with an ad blocker kills the ads here, sorry, but it also makes the page loads here pretty friggin snappy.

Cobra - if you use firefox, go to add-ons in your "tools" menu, then in there, click in the search for "get add-ons" tab, and pop in adblock plus. You can use it to block stuff or sites you dont want to get infected by, as well, once you learn how to use it. When its installed, you should update it, tell it to automatically update itself, and try opening 500 pages on here. MUCH faster.

here is a link to it for firefox - https://addons.mozil...efox/addon/1865

its been so long since i installed it, i dont remember if they are blocking or not by default on this site, so if they still display after laoding the adblocker, right click on one of the banner ads, as well as one of the small business section icons, and tell it to block content from "openx.org' or whaetver it is. DO NOT block content from saiga-12.com or the site wont work with adblock enabled.

After working in IT and Netopping mainframes, I get highly aggitated when I have to wait on ANYTHING I click clickity click on, and cant stand when a machine drags ass, wherever or however. I guess the days of a CD size file coming from the other side of the world in under 5 seconds are gone for me, but Ill be damned if Im going to wait for an ad to display on my screen when the server its on lags a little. nevermind all that crap out there that is loaded with shit that doesnt display on here....yeh, i really went to CNN.com to look at fucking screens of advertisements, or the weather channel to close an ad popup. screw that.

Another good thing to do on winblows machines is to edit your hosts. file (dont touch this if you dont know what it is or what you are doing), so that none of the "antvirus" or "anti-spyware" or "driver installer" websites will display. pop in the site's IP, and make it go to a loopback....simple. So if you DO get hit with that crap, it doesnt go somewhere and download it (there are about 5 or 6 servers for these programs, and you have to add them all in there for that to work, hence stay clear if you dont know what hosts. is in winblows).

You CAN secure a winblows machine, I have a 'black" drive that I dont use any more that has a version of winblows on it that I heavily modified and re-coded back in the day, and wont return ping, ICMP, DNS, and various other so-called "required" TCP ports or requests. It even can be switched to appear from anywhere in the world in about a second, with hotkeys I set. Not exactly simple to do in that OS, but it is possible if you want to do it.

If you dont run an aftermarket firewall, do so. Zone Alarm isnt the greatest, but is decent once you get it set up right. Its a common product, so is targeted by Virii once in a while, though....

Now, as for the topic at hand.....I think I'll stay out of that one....There is a new version of one of the antivirus and firewall disabler going around, which is kind of annoying if you get it.

p.s. - stop surfing porn from work and opening bullshit emails, and 3/4's of your problems will go away!!!

Free anti virus do not detect a lot of bad stuff such AVG (free version). I use to have it.

Go to http://onecare.live.com/site/en-us/default.htm and do a complete scan. It may take a 2 hours to do the scan.

If onecare finds a bad virus. Go to http://www.geekstogo.com/ do a search on their forum of what onecare found (make sure its for your system, XP, etc. etc). Follow all the steps how to get it off your computer.

You can also write them on their forum for help and hope one of their computer whizzes will help. They will say something like, Hi I am So and So and will be helping with this. They will tell you what programs to download and what they need to see to get it off your system.

It's as easy as booting up the Ubuntu LiveCD in your computer.

Deaf and blind people do it.

Can you run a mouse? Linux is point-and-click just like windows. Other than that, the only issue is learning that "gedit"¹ = "notepad"

Is it free?

The only cost is you learning the names of the programs (as mentioned above).

It doesn't send any info to the mother ship like windows does.

It doesn't have the "crash at 49 days" bug, like windows does [i've had my system running for over 7 months at a time]

99.7% of all linux software is free, and most every Windows application has at least one analogue on the linux side. So you like photoshop but can't afford the $$$? Gimp is available in linux (and windows, too), it uses photoshop plugins and it's FREE.

Here is a list of windows analogues (it's old, but still valid)

You can also run Windows and Linux together if you want.

As ktcm7271 says, you can dual boot (have both OS' available at boot time) your system and switch back and forth until you're comfortable with linux. At that time, you can flush windows and get the space on the hard drive back for better usage.

[1] There are sometimes dozens (or more) of analogues for windows programs, not just one.

Well damn. It sounds easy enough. I'll have to take a serious look into it soon.

Thanks for the info.

th_Screenshot-1.jpg

My desktop. Ubuntu with XP running under VirtualBox. Easy stuff. Works great. I use XP for my ballistics programs and that's about it.

:super:

Edited by patriot

Avast free with Super Antispyware, Malwarebytes, and Advanced System Care, (all free versions), work well enough for me, (I have a few computers, back up everything elsewhere, and don't get that attached to/dependent on any one of em).

I've been particularly impressed with the utilities Advanced System Care offers in their free version.

ymmv.

Avast free with Super Antispyware, Malwarebytes, and Advanced System Care, <snip> (I have a few computers,

So tell us, how much time do you spend wrangling all those programs on all your computers? How much system performance is tied up in those programs function?

That's time and system performance you'd get back if you didn't run Windows.

• Like 1

Avast free with Super Antispyware, Malwarebytes, and Advanced System Care, <snip> (I have a few computers,

So tell us, how much time do you spend wrangling all those programs on all your computers? How much system performance is tied up in those programs function?

+1, Vista uses more resources just loading up and running than Linux does running vids. The fact that a company would put out a product that bad in the first place tells me that they don't give a crap about their customer base. Windows 7 might be great, but I'll never know.

+1, Vista uses more resources just loading up and running than Linux does running vids. The fact that a company would put out a product that bad in the first place tells me that they don't give a crap about their customer base. Windows 7 might be great, but I'll never know.

Although the article is somewhat dated, it is still relevant. Remember Windoz 7 is NT in a new dress.

"Windows NT 4.0 is 16.5 million lines of code that will never be debugged. It is infinitely complex. It is like having an elephant living in your apartment. The thing is just monstrous."

Bill Joy

Source: http://www.wired.com...s/1998/07/13744

Be safe,

Yakdung

Edited by yakdung
  • Like 1