Hello

That's a little unnerving. It appears the bolt didn't completely close? How could this have happened?

Any observations from those who know multitudes?

-guido

i had a WSAR that snapped the left side trunnion lug exactly like the viedo ,i knew something was wrong and pulled it apart and the left trunnion lug fell out in my hand with part of the serial number on it , no injury no other part of the rifle distorted in any way shape or form .

it got welded up into a dummy gun , all i can figure is that during heat treatment it was not drawn back from RC 60 to the normal 43-45 hardness for a receiver`s locking lug area.

the tell tale was inspection of the break zone like pictured it was clean and fine grained ,showed no discolored area that would indicate the start of a crack leading to ultimate failure.

Edited by belt fed frog

If it fired out of battery it would not have broken the trunnion.

I agree. I've only seen one out of battey detonation before. It was someone trying to bumpfire/trigger mash. It was in an AR too, so the mechanics were different. On a Saiga (and on every other AK I've seen), there's a protrusion that sticks out the back of the carrier that the hammer will hit unless the bolt is shut. It's possible to lower the hammer with the bolt not seated, but generally it'll just hit that protrusion and follow the bolt, not having enough power to detonate the primer.

Corbin

Edited by Corbin

I don't claim to know anything!

But I think he had a squib and followed with a live round. If it fired out of battery it would not have broken the trunnion.

That seems likely, not a bad diagnosis actually.

I don't claim to know anything!

But I think he had a squib and followed with a live round. If it fired out of battery it would not have broken the trunnion.

That seems likely, not a bad diagnosis actually.

I can't say the cause, but I would also agree that it did not fire out of battery. If the bolt was out of battery, then the immense pressure that ripped the bolt backwards through the lugs would have have a huge area to escape into the receiver and out the ejection port. The rifle had to be in battery to exert that much pressure backwards on those lugs. Out of battery it would have just blown through the path of least resistance which would be around and then behind the bolt, not straight back into it.

Did anybody else notice that both of those receivers were double y stamped? Don't see many of those on semis.

The Draco is a military gun, in all but the "fun switch" and butt stock tang.

IOW, the Draco is an AK-based gun that comes off the military assembly line in an "unfinished" (regarding the FA capability) and "modified" (butt cap instead of stock tang) condition.

To be really blunt: They all have military receivers.

Are draco's made here or imported? what is the difference between the Draco and Draco 80?

Dracos (and Champions) are entirely manufactured in Romania (they're pistols, so don't have the monkeys messin' with'em).

What is a Draco 80?

What is a Draco 80?

I'm not sure what the difference is, but the Draco 80 says "Draco 80" on the receiver:

Well, it just goes to show that the idiot making the video for youtube is gonna get a rare (possibly mis-marked) specimen to put in it. . .

There's no such thing as a "Draco 80" that you can order today (they're all Dracos). This one appears to be something that Century may have been thinking about (maybe one of the few samples with that model name?). A Draco is a Draco is a Draco (the one in the video doesn't appear any different than any other).

I didn't realize they were taken off a military line and modded. Cool.

Actually, they're taken off the military line in a "less finished" (but functional) state (sorta like the SAR line (they were built in the same fashion - with military receivers that hadn't been finished).

Any modding happens when they get home to their new owner.

Actually, they're taken off the military line in a "less finished" (but functional) state (sorta like the SAR line (they were built in the same fashion - with military receivers that hadn't been finished).

Any modding happens when they get home to their new owner.

I probably should have worded it differently. I agree that the "model 80" was probably an early sample. The HG looked laminated, though that might have been done by the owner.

• 2 weeks later...

Best guess - Over hardened trunnion, and a poorly machined locking recess. Stress crack forms on right locking ear, left ear then gets hammered until it fails. Brittle trunnion and poor fit of locking lugs = FAIL.

• 2 weeks later...