Fuck'em.

The CO wanted to show a presence, I doubt anyone wanted to really go.

They would have rather have gone out drinking or "whatever".

So they got a working party. Whoooooopeeeee!!!

It happens.

I had to attend multiple MANDATORY Padres games in San Diego.

Even the pussies who couldn't stand sports had to go.

There was no working party option.

When the CO says you're doing something, you're doing SOMETHING.

If you weasel out of one something, you'll be doing another something.

You sign the papers, you're along for the ride.

Don't piss & moan because you couldn't manipulate yourself into a night off.

We learned early in the Navy exactly what NAVY stands for...

Never

Again

Volunteer

Yourself

• Like 1

I honestly wouldn't be surprised of the Commanding General is relieved of duty.

Not necessarily for the mandatory concert, but more for the expense of the whole thing.

The article indicates these 'Spiritual Fitness Concerts' began during 2008.

"The Commanding General's Spiritual Fitness Concert Series was the brainchild of Maj. Gen. James E. Chambers. . . Chambers held the first concert at Fort Lee within a month of becoming the commanding general of the Combined Arms Support Command and Fort Lee in June 2008. But he had already started the series at Fort Eustis, as the previous commanding general there. The concerts have continued at Fort Eustis under the new commanding general, as well as spreading to Fort Lee under Maj. Gen. Chambers. The concerts are also promoted to the airmen on Langley Air Force Base, which is now part of Joint Base Langley-Eustis."

It is extremely unlikely the current CG would be relieved from duty.

while I don't believe we should have a military of mindless robots that just take commands with no thought process. I also don't believe the security if the nation should be entrusted to a bunch of people who's sole purpose in life is to get out of every order given.

if the commander feels called on to play the part of Chaplin Charlie and bring the magic show to his command and the people above him have no problem with it and you do then be prepared to spend time with a mop and buffer till one of you PCS.

these people had a choice of attend the concert or be in a clean up detail. the fact the choice wasn't given till the last minute had some already looking for an out, these are the same people others are going to have to rely on in a far worse conditions. that's the part that bothers me. chances are I'd ended up with a mop, not because of the religion it's just I hate to hear rock music abused.

I understand the "not punishment" many have expressed, but I'm wondering just WTF has happened to our Military since the mid '80s?

As I recall, such a concert would never have been allowed on post. Off post and PRIVATLY funded, yes. But mil funded?

While I'm all for individual rights to religion of choice, this is just too close to religious endorsement, and it is but one of numerous examples I've been seeing in the last few years.

While I fear the worldwide Islamic movement, I am as fearful of the Evangelical movement within this country. I see such things as this concert as an EXTREMELY divisive act perpetuated by a base commander. And I prefer to see, at least, our Military united, not divided. Gods know the Civilian world will never be.

E Pluribus Unum

Post edited for overly inflamitory commentary, My appologies.

Edited by BpS12
  • Like 4

My two cents:

The only way to know how someone will hold up in combat is to watch him (or her) in combat.

As far as the mandatory fun is concerned...oh well. There isn't a damn thing they can do about it. The best option would be to shut up, suck it up, and charge on. If you're going to clash with the brass, do it for something worth your stripes.

• Like 2

"Following orders subserviently in Garrison can lead to following orders blindly in combat. Which will probably get you killed."

"The military isn't about doing what you're told, Period."

"The military is about doing what you're told depending on what you believe is morally right, with calculated risk."

"I once had a Commander tell me to look into a very deep IED hole that had JUST gone off on our convoy one night.

You know, to see if it's clear.

I replied "fuuuck no", and walked away, and that was that. Charlie Mike."

What fucking military were you in???

If a Marine had done what you "say" you did in that last quote they would be luck if they only got court martial-ed

What fucking military were you in???

If a Marine had done what you "say" you did in that last quote they would be luck if they only got court martial-ed

This isn't a fuckin' pissing contest.

I went over there skilled and cautious and it got me back mostly in one piece.

I did what I had to do to get back, even if it meant subtly disrespecting an officer.

Be as skeptical as you want.

I know what I did over there and so do my brothers in arms.

TREASON

The General is shitting on the Constitution. The RIGHT to freedom OF religion, is also the right to freedom FROM religion. We each have our own ideas of GOD. Forcing one's religion on others makes the General the religious equivalent to Osama Bin Laden , and even MORE repugnant, because he PRETENDS to be a loyal American!

Even WORSE- He is torturing our fine troops- Have you HEARD some of these groups?

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...

Hehe, a guy joins the Army of a nation with a Christian majority population and wants to whine like a little mangina because he has to show up for a little Jesus themed pep rally? Seriously, Growing up Jewish in this country I have had to sit through more plays,speeches,concerts and assorted hokey stuff and be the only sad sunovabitch not eating at a hundred post game pizza parties because it was all covered with feces eating filthy pork meat and had to do makeup work in school for taking off Jewish holidays while twiddling my thumbs at home on Christian holidays than any of these pogues will ever conceive of unless they ended up POWs in a Muslim country under Sharia Law.

Anyone who whines about having to attend a handful of mandatory functions after signing their life away to uncle sugar is r-tarded..

• Like 1

SOPMOD, the point is, you should never have had to deal with it yourself. If we live SOLELY by "majority rules", than this country is NO better off than Pagan Rome or Muslim Bagdhad. Different era, same shit.

• Like 1