I'm looking for a 16" 308 semi auto rifle and so far I have considered the FAL and a Saiga 308, but I'm pretty sure I won't be getting the S-308.

Recently I started to look at the PTR 91s, specifically the PTR 91 KFM4.

Anyone have an opinion about them?

Edited by Boba Debt

I'm looking for a 16" 308 semi auto rifle and so far I have considered the FAL and a Saiga 308, but I'm pretty sure I won't be getting the S-308.

Recently I started to look at the PTR 91s, specifically the PTR 91 KFM4.

Anyone have an opinion about them?

I have head that some have tight chambers, but mine has run trouble free. They do throw empty brass in to the next county and the chamber flutes make reloads look funky

I just received mine. I was up in the air between a PTR-91 and a Saiga 308. Since I already have a saiga, decided to go with the PTR-91 16" carbine. It is most certainly well made! The parts are cheap, and you can't help but love the cost of magazines -.98 cents each at CTD. The rifle itself, to me, was expensive.

1. .308

2. VERY well made.

3. Fit and finish is excellent.

4. Heavy barrel.

5. Magazines are HK made and cheap.

5. HK parts are completely interchangeable (even if you have the carbine version like I do...but the wide hand guards are different)

Dislikes:

1. Heavy.

2. Cock handle is difficult charge. Will probably loosen up in time, but will still be quite stiff.

3. With stock configuration, front heavy.

4. PTR barrel, not JLD. I have not shot mine yet, but I have no doubt that I will only be able to fire off the shelf ammo and not surplus ammo. This is not a problem to me, but for those that want to shoot German DAG, etc., it will jam. This is because PTR narrowed the flutes. Read more on this at militrayrfireames.com and the HK forums. PTR's website lists what ammo you can and cannot shoot. Again to me, this wasn't a show stopper, but I did consider it.

5. Ejects casings into the 'future'. My next purchase will most definitely be a port cover.

I was looking more for retro look, so I converted mine to wood. The hand guard on the carbine is shorter, so I had to modify the rear portion. Hope this helps. Would I do it again....don't know as I have never spent this much on a rifle....but it is a keeper and will be inherited by my children someday.

post-20243-019822900 1284291766_thumb.jpg

post-20243-051474900 1284291776_thumb.jpg

post-20243-041942000 1284291795_thumb.jpg

post-20243-015260300 1284291873_thumb.jpg

Edited by sjgusmc21

They are excellent rifles, the best part is you can change parts out with H&K parts, I do not know if anyone knows this but PTR came out with a PTR32 which is a 7.62X39 round, and a PTR44 8X33 cal.....

I would love to get the PTR44, but the price being in the $4000 range kinda of killed it.

On my 91 I replaced the alumium handguard with an early HK Black Slim Line Handguard and replaced the the plastic lower with a HK G3 Steel Clipped and Pinned Lower with SEF markings

battle.jpg

They are excellent rifles, the best part is you can change parts out with H&K parts, I do not know if anyone knows this but PTR came out with a PTR32 which is a 7.62X39 round, and a PTR44 8X33 cal.....

I would love to get the PTR44, but the price being in the $4000 range kinda of killed it.

On my 91 I replaced the alumium handguard with an early HK Black Slim Line Handguard and replaced the the plastic lower with a HK G3 Steel Clipped and Pinned Lower with SEF markings

battle.jpg

You are the Man!! One question: Can you explain to me how you: 'HK G3 Steel Clipped and Pinned Lower with SEF markings"? I don't understand how (or which lower to purchase) to do it...as the Navy Lower has two holes for the mounting of the rear spring housing and butt stock. I know it is probably real simple...I just haven't figured it out yet. Then again.... Love your collection...will be looking at a DSA FAL in the future.....

Edited by sjgusmc21

You are the Man!! One question: Can you explain to me how you: 'HK G3 Steel Clipped and Pinned Lower with SEF markings"? I don't understand how (or which lower to purchase) to do it...as the Navy Lower has two holes for the mounting of the rear spring housing and butt stock. I know it is probably real simple...I just haven't figured it out yet. Then again.... Love your collection...will be looking at a DSA FAL in the future.....

A clipped & pinned lower is a modified full auto lower. Once modified and installed on a rifle this lower makes a HK style weapon appear to be full auto. In reality the gun is still a legal semi auto using your existing semi auto fire control group. This gives you the look or a real HK full auto while maintaining a legal semi auto.

A real FA lower has a front pushpin hole. A semi auto uses a shelf. You cut the pin to about 1/8" - 3/16" long from each end and epoxy or soldier each end into each side hole. Make sure it doesn't protrude into the interior and interfere with the semi-auto shelf.

http://www.hkparts.net/shop/pc/Clipp...ned-72p923.htm

I didn't use the Navy style lower. The grip don't feel right

I ordered mine for here.

http://www.robertrtg...g3steelsef.html

Edited by Banshee

A clipped & pinned lower is a modified full auto lower. Once modified and installed on a rifle this lower makes a HK style weapon appear to be full auto. In reality the gun is still a legal semi auto using your existing semi auto fire control group. This gives you the look or a real HK full auto while maintaining a legal semi auto.

A real FA lower has a front pushpin hole. A semi auto uses a shelf. You cut the pin to about 1/8" - 3/16" long from each end and epoxy or soldier each end into each side hole. Make sure it doesn't protrude into the interior and interfere with the semi-auto shelf.

http://www.hkparts.net/shop/pc/Clipp...ned-72p923.htm

I didn't use the Navy style lower. The grip don't feel right

I ordered mine for here.

http://www.robertrtg...g3steelsef.html

OK, so forgive me if I am slow....so there is no modification that is needed other then purchasing the lower from rtg? Will my trigger group fit this? Or will I have to buy the entire set?

Sorry, I did make it a little hard to understand. I told you how to do the mods yourself on a factory HK G3 lower. IF you get the modified one from RTG no modification are needed. All you have to do is just push out the two pins holding stock on, remove stock, remove the lower from your rifle, remove the safety and trigger group from PTR lower and place you trigger group in the modified lower from rtg. (If you are replacing the plastic PTR lower with a steel lower, you also have to replace the safety lever with one for a steel lower), install new lower on your rifle. Reinstall stock and pins. It couldn't be simpler.

here is a close up of mine. The front pin on the lower is a dummy and is soldered into the lower.

S= safe

E=semi auto

F=full auto

The "F" setting on a semi auto gun will produce nothing but semi auto fire.

clippedandpinned2.jpg

Edited by Banshee

I think the G3 had the paddle style mag release, and one of the differences between them and the HK91 is

that the 91 has the pushbotton mag release.

I own a 91 and a 93. Fun rifles, haven't shot them much. They DO put brass about 25 yards to the forward-rightish

and the casings have powder racing stripes from the roller block action functioning. I got them used this year,

and other than a couple dings, they are in good shape. Got bipods, collapsible stock, scope mounts.

The HK93 is the .223 little brother to the 91. Same design, just a little scaled down.

Both rifles are solid, heavy beasts. Would not have a problem with taking them to defend against insurrection,

but would NOT want to march long ways there with them.

Ah, retarded blowback. Was there ever a more appropriate name? :rolleyes:

As others have mentioned, delayed blowback firearms tend to throw their fired casings toward yonder horizon, never to be seen again. They also run VERY dirty in the receiver, due to gas blow-by around the casing from the fluted chamber.

I think the G3 had the paddle style mag release, and one of the differences between them and the HK91 is

that the 91 has the pushbotton mag release.

All of the CETME/H&K rifles of this type (G3, MP5, HK91, etc) have the push-button crossbolt mag catch just like an AR. On the fullauto models, the paddle release on the bottom rotates around the front lower pin. It acts as a camming lever to push the actual crossbolt mag catch to the left, from the inside. Since the semiauto models do away with the front lower pin (replacing it with a solid shelf to prevent interchangeability between the semiauto and select fire trigger housings), there is nothing for the paddle release to rotate on and is thus simply eliminated. As I understand it, you can modify the semiauto rifles (HK41/91/93/94, SP89, PSG1) to have the paddle release, but it's not advisable since you could very well end up accidentally manufacturing an illegal machinegun receiver. :o

Edited by Caspian Sea Monster

BD,

Will it Bullpup? I was looking forward to seeing what you would do with a 21" S308. But that aside, outside of the price, I've heard nothing but good about them. So, when I can I'll go S308.

Good luck

Edited by BpS12

Was considering one of these PTR 91's, but decided on a STG58 from DSA instead. Price was about the same, and I liked the fact that the charging handle on the FAL isn't up near the barrel the way the HK's are designed.

More than I wanted to spend, but I've always wanted a FAL and figured I might as well get one of the best available... :killer:

G3s are a unique design and the PTR-91 is a very well-made and reliable clone. But between a G3 and a FAL, I'd prefer a FAL. It's lighter and the ergos are better. While the G3 will generally be more accurate, neither can be expected to get the most out of a .308s potential reach.

If you want to reload, G3s aren't a great choice as mentioned. Without a port buffer they tend to mangle brass (if you can even find it). And wait till you see the inside of a G3 after a day at the range... expect to get up close and personal cleaning out the flutes and locking recesses, not to mention the entire receiver. Heck, even my mags would come out smoking!

The weight of the heavy blowback bolt does make these very soft-shooting guns for a .308, though. And while I haven't pushed mine they are supposed to hold up very well to filth and abuse.