I clean mine after every session. 5 rounds or 500 rounds. It is too easy for "just 2 days" to turn into 2 weeks. Carbon and junk will only get harder to clean off. Not the end of the world to not clean it, but not a good way to build the cleaning habit that will become second nature. "Every part, Every time keeps my rifle shooting fine!" That is my cleaning motto.

I clean mine after every session. 5 rounds or 500 rounds. It is too easy for "just 2 days" to turn into 2 weeks. Carbon and junk will only get harder to clean off. Not the end of the world to not clean it, but not a good way to build the cleaning habit that will become second nature. "Every part, Every time keeps my rifle shooting fine!" That is my cleaning motto.

I need to buy a kit is the reason. But, I agree.

if shooting corrosive ammo.. aka Yugo.. then yes clean within 24 hours.

I just cleaned my 762x39 Saiga after 3 months and about 1000 rounds or so..

Just got a 30 cal boresnake for the S308, so that PROMPTED me to do it..

Rem Clean, Hoppes 9, & a dab of the old Klean Bore Mil-Tec 25B on the RAILS where the bolt rides..

Just shot another 250 rounds in the last 3 weeks so I may be cleaning again before Christmas.. just for WINTER storage sake..

The 545x39 needs a little more attention though running the 52/53gr FMJ surplus/corrosive stuff..

Recommend a BORESNAKE, Baby Bottle Brush w/Bristles for the gas tube.. and some kinda oil..

Be careful with BrakeClean & Rem Clean and etc.. it will eat factory paint.. keep it IN the receiver and bbl...

Al

• Like 1

if shooting corrosive ammo.. aka Yugo.. then yes clean within 24 hours.

I just cleaned my 762x39 Saiga after 3 months and about 1000 rounds or so..

Just got a 30 cal boresnake for the S308, so that PROMPTED me to do it..

Rem Clean, Hoppes 9, & a dab of the old Klean Bore Mil-Tec 25B on the RAILS where the bolt rides..

Just shot another 250 rounds in the last 3 weeks so I may be cleaning again before Christmas.. just for WINTER storage sake..

The 545x39 needs a little more attention though running the 52/53gr FMJ surplus/corrosive stuff..

Recommend a BORESNAKE, Baby Bottle Brush w/Bristles for the gas tube.. and some kinda oil..

Be careful with BrakeClean & Rem Clean and etc.. it will eat factory paint.. keep it IN the receiver and bbl...

Al

Cleaning tools from where? Walmart, Turners? Is there a kit, so I get the right stuff?

It was Wolf ammo.

Edited by Saiga7081

I bought mine around August of last year, have run ~2,000rds through it since and havent cleaned it yet. All non corrosive ammo tho. I have lightly wiped off the bolt carrier however. It gets my hands really dirty when i take the dust cover off to apply 3 in 1 oil on the guts every once in awhile. Hasnt missed a beat and i dont plan on cleaning it anytime soon :killer: .Just saying.

Edited by Mullet Man

I bought mine around August of last year, have run ~2,000rds through it since and havent cleaned it yet. All non corrosive ammo tho. I have lightly wiped off the bolt carrier however. It gets my hands really dirty when i take the dust cover off to apply 3 in 1 oil on the guts every once in awhile. Hasnt missed a beat and i dont plan on cleaning it anytime soon :killer: .Just saying.

Wolf ammo is non-corrosive I used.

You can get cleaning kits from just about anywhere. I saw a Hoppe's Universal Cleaning kit for super cheap, I think it was 10 bucks at Wallymart. Get a .30 cal brush too.

I clean my guns pretty frequently. Sometimes I clean them even if I haven't fired them. I'm pretty anal about this kind of thing. I even wash my car by hand in the winter.

To each their own.

If you didn't get the AK kit with the Saiga, go to Walmart and get any .30 caliber cleaning kit. Breakfree CLP is a good cleaner, Lubricant, and rust inhibiter. I use it on ALL my weapons. If there is a lot of carbon fouling, I use Ballistol to clean and Breakfree to lube.

I think YWHIC hit the nail on the head. When using yugo I like to clean within 24 hours. All other ammo I wait between two and three months to fuck with.

Like Mullet Man, I tend to keep the insides well oiled and clp'ed more than the barrel. I do the internals once a month or so.

Anyway I haven't had any issues yet, these rifles were made for abuse. :osama:

PostA... the downside is with compressed air it blows the SOLVENT and debris/carbon mess onto the kitchen counter..

which if you've recently gotten a GF or moved back home with mom that may NOT be a great idea.

Q-tips to get into the FCG area of the receiver just to WIPE some of the carbon dust out around the springs and stuff and maybe the gas block.. little cleaner (REM CLEAN/BREAKFREE CLP).. and then rub the Q-tip in the gas block where the piston goes in and out.

Wallyworld, Kmart, Dicks Sporting Goods, Big-5, etc..

You can buy a KIT for like $30 and then just grab a $6 can of the Rem Clean / Breakfree CLP..

Al

Clean? What is this clean you speak of?

It's called a "fail-point test"... So far, no fail. Don't expect one... As previously mentioned, this ain't your sister's AR, is finest Russian firearm (say that with Vodka-drunk accent, it sounds better).

Don't shoot corrosive, and clean after you dig it out of the cache-point.

That is all.

Bamboo skewers. I use Q-tips too, but with bamboo skewers you can push all kinds of bits of rags in the receiver, through the gas tube, etc. and the pointy end is perfect for getting under the extractor.

An old toothbrush.

A cleaning rod and some patches.

Solvent of choice.

I clean every single time, since I keep my guns where it's pretty humid. While non-corrosive residue is not nearly as likely to cause rust, it will still attract and hold moisture next to metal parts. So I like to clean and put a patch of CLP or Eezox down the bore and other surfaces before putting them away.

Shoot all the corrosive ammo you can get. People that do not understand the issues of shooting corrosive ammo usually post and tell you not to shoot it.

Clean your rifle after you shoot it. Takes a few minutes. Or don't. Never clean it. It is your rifle.

Wash your car weekly. Or don't wash it for a year. It is your car.

Boresnake, CLP, old rag.

I treat my trunk guns like redheaded step children. Just enough love to keep them going but no extra effort. After 500 or so rounds I'll run the boresnake through and wipe down the bolt and other parts both with CLP. I might do a detail strip and clean once a year.

Ask me how I treat my nice AR's or Competition bolt guns and thats a WHOLE different story. They are meticulously cleaned after ever range trip with bore guides and q-tips. I do this for top accuracy and just making them look good.