My 8" TROMIX Copy build...

The time has come to do something different (for me anyhow) and fun!

I am going to try and copy the Great TROMIX S-17 using what little tools I have, and then hope to god it runs!

This is the gun I am starting with, It's a Conversion gun that I did a few years back that has been a great range toy, and super reliable.

sbs1.jpg

First things first, I pressed off the gas block and started taking measurments. I then had a friend let me use his machine lathe and we turned the barrel down. I am moving the gas block bach 3.75" on the gun. It took us a while to get things figured out, and we still have some learning to do on this process. Next time I will press out the barrel to minimize vibration while cutting.

sbs2.jpg

I then used a small carbide rose bud in my dremal to make a guide/bed for my drill bit to set in while starting my gas holes.

sbs3.jpg

I am drilling them out to .073 in a 4 port configuration. I used a standard hand drill to do this, and went real slow!! They are drilled at a .45ish degree angle like the factory holes.

Two finished, two more to go!!

sbs4.jpg

Here is a picture showing my ports, and the factory ports, The green line is where I am cutting the barrel, at 8 inches.

sbs5.jpg

I then cut the gas tube down to the needed size. I just cut the fluted section off. and retained the rest of the gas tube/RSB.

sbs6.jpg

That's it for today!! Not bad for a few hours, stay tuned, and if anyone has any ideas/suggestions please chime in.

More coming tomorrow!!!

Edited by redmist
  • Like 6

Ok, I got up early this morning and ate my lucky charms...

I opened up the rear of the gas block in order for the carrier (Will soon be the new piston) so that it could pass through the block, and make contact with the puck.

sbs7.JPG

And then out to the press she went!! This is sort of the moment of truth for me, as I need the ports to line up, the gas tube to be the correct length, and crap to just sort of work! So far so good!! This is how it sits as of this morning:

sbs8.JPG

Here is a picture looking down at the ports. They are setback just a little, but will still work fine! I'm not going to dick with it.

sbs9.JPG

More to come tonight... I plan on cutting down the piston/carrier, and drilling the cross pins for the FSB.

Edited by redmist
  • Like 4

Alright, here comes todays progress...

I decided to drill the holes for the crosspins with my small drill press. I got it all lined up and went REAL REAL slow!! It worked! I am surprised it did, but it did. I did snap the tip off of one bit right at the exit of my last hole. No big deal...

sbs10.JPG

Pins pressed in. The bottom pin was not as "press fit" as I wanted it so I bent the pin just a bit and pushed it in. The top pin was tight as hell, so I should be good here.

sbs11.JPG

And here is my first OOOPPPSSS!! Since I did not turn the barrel down to the factory spec, it was larger then it should have been at the exit of the front of the gas block. This caused the gas adjuster to bind on itself while being screwed half way in.

sbs12.JPG

I pulled out my Mill That's "Drem-Mill" and made a pocket for the plug to clear.

sbs13.JPG

Worked great!

sbs14.JPG

Then I moved onto the piston/carrier. I cut it off right where the threads and carrier join.

sbs15.JPG

I slid the carrier back into the gun with the puck installed and the gas plug set at it's stock location, and then took a reading between the carrier and trunnion. I then took that amount off the carrier in order for it to close and seat the gas puck at it's minimums.

sbs16.JPG

I then fashioned a "Piston" into the head of the carrier using my bench grinder. I gave it a little polish action to aid in cycling.

sbs17.JPG

I am also thinking about using the old piston as a charging handle.. Hmmm....

sbs18.JPG

• Like 4

I am also thinking about using the old piston as a charging handle.. Hmmm....

Consider your final sight and/or optic here. You may want more or less charging handle depending, and you may even want to dog let it foward or back. Also in some scenarios galil style setups arn't the best either.

Just some things to think about. Loving the thread and project thus far.

SHE RUNS!!!!!

This is what the build looked like when I took it out today. first test was one round of low base 7 1/2 shot Gun Club target loads. (just in case it blew up hah!) and it spit it out just fine!! I loaded up a 10 round mag and it all went well. I then took a video of a 10 round mag as I finished off the box. No problems!

I also put the gun on the number 1 setting and fired some Federal 6 shot pheasant loads through it. This was high base stuff and WOW! Frickin flame ball, and the whole front of my body got warm. It ran that just fine as well! I am going to still do the spacers on the top cover, and keep tweeking the build.

Also a Video will be up-loaded here in short order.

sbs19.JPG

• Like 5

Thank you Mr. Bob ash for the compliments! And all the others watching, I hope to get the tools to refine the build process on stuff like this. We did pick up a Miller Syncrowave200 TIG so I can start doing some fine welding and such.

As Promissed, here is the video. Nothing exciting, but it shows that the thing does transfer BB's down range!!

• Like 3
  • 1 month later...

Great job! :super:

Next time I will press out the barrel to minimize vibration while cutting.

I didn't realize you COULD turn it down with the barrel still attached. I figured that would make it wobble like crazy.

And here is my first OOOPPPSSS!! Since I did not turn the barrel down to the factory spec, it was larger then it should have been at the exit of the front of the gas block. This caused the gas adjuster to bind on itself while being screwed half way in.

My S12 did that from the factory. I had to dremel a flat spot on the barrel too.

Does the front of the carrier come out of the back of the trunnion when it's in its rearward most position? I've heard that can happen with some builds. Is that what the spacers are for?

Edited by Corbin

I didn't realize you COULD turn it down with the barrel still attached. I figured that would make it wobble like crazy.

My S12 did that from the factory. I had to dremel a flat spot on the barrel too.

Does the front of the carrier come out of the back of the trunnion when it's in its rearward most position? I've heard that can happen with some builds. Is that what the spacers are for?

Turn the outside dia. to clear the barrel

Yes on a gas system setback of 3.75" the carrier comes out of the trunion. Spacer in the top cover to keep carrier aligned, and extended tab to keep top cover from poping out of groove.

• Like 1

Awesome Saigatech!!!

I have yet to get the spacers put into my build, but I did get my 3 slot forearm from tromix. I am going to prime Mr. Bob Ash about his light setup in front of his gas plug.

Interesting deal with the "steady rest" so it just lets the piece ride on those three rods, and takes the shakes out? Looks like it would work real good for this!

Turn the outside dia. to clear the barrel

Yes on a gas system setback of 3.75" the carrier comes out of the trunion. Spacer in the top cover to keep carrier aligned, and extended tab to keep top cover from poping out of groove.

A little update on my 8" SAIGA-12 build:

I recieved my mid length forarm from TROMIX and got it bolted up to the gun. I took a MAGPUL "RVG" and a section of rail and mounted it to the bottom of the forarm. I blended the front of the rail to fit the contour of the grip. I like the blocky look of the verticle grip as it goes with the rest of the gun.

8inchdone1.JPG

And I also went to Cabelas and found a choke tube for an 870 in the bargain bin for $20 I cut the threaded choke section off and then attached the "Breacher tactical" end to the barrel of my build.

This was the first time I have EVER !! TIG welded! I used a brand new Miller syncrowave 200. I am happy as hell with how this turned out, but in the end it looks real good for a beginner weld. I have done plenty of MIG, but this TIG stuff kicks ass!!!

8inchdone2.JPG

I am going to extend the gas plug to the end of the guard some how to fill in the gap, and then move to the back of the gun for some changes!

But why would you permenatly attach it?

I change my muzzle device every week :lolol:

Seriously though...I am very happy to see more non business members building SBS saiga's

It's just not that hard if you really want it!!!!!!

Edited by saigatechusa