I'm interested in what you guys think about this pic. Should this be shown to 8th graders?

BACKGROUND:

My sister is studying to be a teacher and she is currently doing her internship. For 4 months she is a student teacher at a very good public school in suburban Philadelphia (I'll leave the names out). This is the type of school every student teacher wants to go to and every teacher wants to stay at. The kids that go here all live in million dollar houses and their parents are doctors, lawyers, CEOs, (m night shamalayan lives about 5 miles away). Very good school districts and very hard to get into. She managed to get into the jr. high as a student teacher and has a very good chance of getting hired.

Here's the problem. The teacher that she is working with is an American History teacher and he covers the time frame between the English colonies and the American civil war. Currently they are on the formation of the government. She has to do a PowerPoint presentation on Monday. The PowerPoint slides have been set up by the teacher and he has been using the same slides for years. As she was reviewing the slides and making notes on what to talk about and focus on she ran across this slide that talks about The US gov Checks and Balances system. Needless to say she was a bit shocked when she saw it and asked me if she should skip it, say something to the teacher or to the staff or just keep her mouth shut.

My opinion was that first thing Monday morning she should ask the teacher why this picture and how this specifically relates to Checks and Balances. There might be a good reason (I cant think of one but doesn't mean its not there). IF there isn't one I said she should tell, not ask, him to take it off and if he doesn't she should go over his head and see some one who can do something about it.We weren't brought up to think this was ok and she should stand up to it even if it means she will have no chance of getting hired at that school. She doesn't want to cause problems and has 4 more week left before her student teaching is over.

This is being shown to 8th graders in an American history class on the topic of Checks and balances.

I hope this doesnt end up in the fight club!

15511886.jpg

• Like 1

It isn't relevant to teaching the kids, but I would put it in perspective as to what is at stake and how much impact it will have. I wouldn't say anything about it because the kids won't get it and they won't remember it.

I personally think it is wrong and messed up and is a sign of what educators all over this country do to our kids and if you gal pal was in a better position, like already having the job, she should

make an issue out of it. But where she is right now, she should let it be and maybe just go through that slide very quickly.

This situation falls in an area that is uncomfortable for most people. It is as wrong as wrong can be, but personal need makes one consider the repercussions.

I am on the fence even as I type this though because I think people need to stand up for what they believe in.

Tough decision..................

As a retired HS and College Instructor in Social Studies, and a supervisor of student teachers for many of my teaching years, I can see two very different reactions to this use (read mis-use) of teaching materials.

1. The material is inappropriate for the intended lesson. The student teacher is correct in noting that. The Master-teacher should never have inserted that visual into his/her presentation in the first place. However , if he has used it for several years, that leads me to believe he is aware of the content, and it's actual meaning, and is attempting to influence the thinking of his students along the lines of the terminology used in the slide.

If he were in my department I (if I am doing my job correctly) should be aware of that 'weakness' in his attitude and presentation. If it has continued for several years, I am not doing my job as a supervisor...and that carries some weight on how I will react to a 'kid' (student teacher) blowing the whistle on the teacher (and indirectly on me!!)

2. The problem for the student teacher, if she wants to become employed in that school or district, is that sometimes 'making waves' can cause problems for the candidate in future interviews for employment....The established teacher/administrator will have support, no matter how disguised or covered over, to protect their position. Even if the teacher is found to be at fault...the memory of 'who stirred up the muck' will remain for some time and I would doubt that the student teacher would be hired by that district at any time in the reasonable future.

I know...that's a shitty way to blow smoke over a real problem...but it isn't just happening in the education-world. Most of you may remember similar things in your military time ( I Do) and in industry, especially where union-protection of jobs was involved.

Now , what to do.

If she wants to be a hero...blow the whistle. if the school is as good as you say, the administration will fix the error quickly and quietly. The student-teacher will get a new assignement and life goes on...She starts a search for job outside that district...and the pressure fades over time.

OR--- She can let it slide, and vow to herself never to allow that to happen in her domain, and life goes on. Her choice.

• Like 2

If you stand for nothing, you'll fall for anything.

Keeping her mouth shut is not an option IMO. She should atleast ask the teacher for an explanation as to why or how that specific slide has any relevance to the topic(s). He might have a good reason, as it could be in conjunction with a couple other slides and it all plays into his narration. Or hes a nutjob.

Edited by Mullet Man
  • Like 1

4 weeks? I say keep quite and see how the teacher discusses the slide. If it's not satisfactory, then decide what to do. Personally, I think it would be easier to change the school from the inside than to risk being forced out and seeking a new position. Perhaps the teacher is going to explain how money negates checks and balances. That said, the "Zionist" topic is too controversial and politicized to be used, IMHO.

That said, the "Zionist" topic is too controversial and politicized to be used, IMHO.

Yeah. The Jewish population in the Philadelphia area is cool and well-represented. A teacher shouldn't be looking to stir up a problem.

Frankly, the cartoon is loaded with rhetoric beyond a simple illustration of checks and balances, and potential for controversy aside, I don't think that its content is age-appropriate for anything below 10th grade + and probably not for middle- or lower-track students.

To hell with the anonymous complaining. Either politely ask the teacher what his angle is and why he is using it, or shut up about it. Never hurts to communicate with your peers or co-workers. Act like a respectable person to gain respect. Weasels take the back alley approach of being "unknown compliant" Nobody wants to work with that person. If a teacher thinks she is given something inappropriate to present to the students, Then stand up and say something. This doesn't have to be a confrontational experience.

That being said, the cartoon is touching on a painful truth in our country , that "money talks and B.S. walks" regardless of which group is lobbying. Never too soon to learn that lesson.

To hell with the anonymous complaining. Either politely ask the teacher what his angle is and why he is using it, or shut up about it. Never hurts to communicate with your peers or co-workers. Act like a respectable person to gain respect. Weasels take the back alley approach of being "unknown compliant" Nobody wants to work with that person. If a teacher thinks she is given something inappropriate to present to the students, Then stand up and say something. This doesn't have to be a confrontational experience.

That being said, the cartoon is touching on a painful truth in our country , that "money talks and B.S. walks" regardless of which group is lobbying. Never too soon to learn that lesson.

wasnt trying to suggest that she rat, just puuting up an option. really its none our choice what she does. she could always club the guy in the back of the head stuff his body in a supply closet, and then set the building on fire, just because i said it doesnt mean that the solution i would choose.

Edited by 86camaro

wasnt trying to suggest that she rat, just puuting up an option. really its none our choice what she does. she could always club the guy in the back of the head stuff his body in a supply closet, and then set the building on fire, just because i said it doesnt mean that the solution i would choose.

Right on, Man. I have just worked with folks in the past that would rather go behind someones back than to have an actual conversation with the person to clear things up.

Being polite and direct is a good way to start for her. I suppose lots of "desirable" positions require some folks to "trim down" their ethics. It can be a "pick your battles" situation for her.

I agree with you and commend you for wanting to take action. Unfortunately the Govmint schools are riddled with politics and this may have been put out as bait. The very last thing I would want to have happen is for your daughter to become ostracized and shun. You may win the battle but lose the war in this but whatever you decide I certain will be the right decision.

Good luck,

Yakdung

Edited by yakdung

15511886.jpg

If she gos against her principles, she'll be teaching the value of selling out.

The picture is anti-semitic.

Period.

It's appauling that this "teacher" hasn't been called on it.

He's molding nice little future skinheads & breeding biggotry.

8th graders aren't going to take anything away from that picture other than "Fat Jew corrupts American government"

It's part of the far left's hatred & opposition of Israel & they're trying to start early.

Disgracful.

I'd alert your regional office of the Anti-Defamation League & see what they say.

Edited by Paulyski

I probably would have taken over the top and would now be looking for a different school or field to work in. But ultimately its her life, her future job and she should just do what she feels is right although I'm all for making a huge scene about it :devil:

EDIT for spelling

Edited by Arik

I probably would have taken over the top and would now be looking for a different school or field to work in. But ultimately its her life, her future job and she should just do what she feels is right although I'm all for making a huge scene about it :devil:

EDIT for spelling

No need to make a huge scene...

No need for her to say anything...

Just go downtown to the location that I posted the link to & tell them...

They'll take it from there. ;)

I was in a similar situation once where I thought a group was getting slammed. Turned out, that was the point that was being made, although it wasn't obvious on the surface until it was explained better. So--if the old teacher is using it to point out how it's wrong to be a bigot, I could see it. Any other context than that fails though.