Lots of lead in the barrel.....

After going to the range and shooting 100+ slugs through my S12, I decided to get her all cleaned up. WOW, Talk about lead fouling! From the chamber to just about one inch passed the gas holes was LOADED with lead and carbon fouling. I was shooting the Remington Sluggers all day with a few 00 Bucks. Took me 20 minutes to scrub it all out. I never had this happen before, then again I never shot 100+ slugs through my S12 in one outing. The gas chamber and puck had the usual stuff in it. I had to use a brass scraper to get some stubburn lead off the puck (BTW I use a KA puck and standard gas plug. No complaints, I love cleaning my guns as much as shooting them. :lolol:

Share with me your cleaning routines. Brushes, kits, oils, solvents you use.

Edited by RABIDFOX50

After going to the range and shooting 100+ slugs through my S12, I decided to get her all cleaned up. WOW, Talk about lead fouling! From the chamber to just about one inch passed the gas holes was LOADED with lead and carbon fouling. I was shooting the Remington Sluggers all day with a few 00 Bucks. Took me 20 minutes to scrub it all out. I never had this happen before, then again I never shot 100+ slugs through my S12 in one outing. The gas chamber and puck had the usual stuff in it. I had to use a brass scraper to get some stubburn lead off the puck (BTW I use a KA puck and standard gas plug. No complaints, I love cleaning my guns as much as shooting them. :lolol:

Share with me your cleaning routines. Brushes, kits, oils, solvents you use.

I have had the same problem when shooting wolf slugs.

I use a tornado brush mounted in a drill motor

there are some on this board that say there's no way lead found it's way into the gas block?

I guess you and I know better. :super:

• Like 1

Easy fix for Lead fouling.

Clean with solvent as usual then wipe bore clean.

Get a SILVER cleaning cloth at a Department store or Notions shop. Cut a couple of TIGHT fitting patches and clean the lead out.

You will be suprised how easy it is to 'Get the Lead out'.

Some 30 years ago I had a Colt Peacemaker clone that leaded like crazy. I tried everything from bronze and stainless brushes to a Lee 'Lead Puller' but NOTHING worked so easily as a Silver cleaning patch. Reuseable too.

Pulls copper fouling too.

That silver cloth sounds like the thing to do. This is the first time I'm noticing so much build up. As the the lead in the gas block, well that's a given. I have a Otis brass scraper I use to remove the lead deposits from the puck. No big deal. I love this Russian beauty. :super::wub:

I used a regular bronze brush and chucked the rod in a cordless drill. It took about 10 minutes to get all the lead out. This is only the fourth time cleaning the S12. Fourth time shooting it as well. :lolol: I will need to put up a pic.

Edited by RABIDFOX50

I shoot mainly remington sluggers and get alot of lead fouling also. I bought a Hoppe's Tornado Style Bore Brush which is stainless steel and it does a great job. I was cleaning it in the garage and the first time I pulled it out I lead shooting everywhere. Not the best stuff to be spreading everywhere but oh well. Cheap solution and found it at Dick's sporting goods.

733568.jpg

Edit: also seems to hold up alot better than most bronze brushes.

Edited by purduepurdy

Like Etek said, I've experienced nightmare levels of leading and the patches work BEST. TIGHT FITTING is very key in getting it out in period of hours vs years. I wrap the silver/lead patches around rags or normal patches to get a tight fit and yank that crap out. Bleh, I HATE lead fouling!!! :killer:

I love firearms cleaning. Silver cloth - thank you, great info, I will try it. Chucking bore brush in drill, damn that's great, been punching bores for 20+ years and hadn't thought of that. Still doing it Uncles Sam's way: work harder, not smarter; it's good training. Used a variety of solvents/copper removers/lead removers. They all seem to work ok, with enough repetition. Anybody have a favorite? What material do you cut your patches from? I use old t-shirts. I cut them about 2 inch square for 7.62x39 and about 5 inch square for square for 12 gauge. Sometimes I get funny looks at the laundromat doing a small load of patches. Sure as heck not washing that dirty crap in the same washer as my clothes at home. Store-bought ones work. Bore snake? Yea they're ok for the final run-through with light clp, but not good for the dirty work imo. Bronze wool - where do you get that from? Can never have enough q-tips.

Birchwood-Casey makes a "lead removal cloth" that works really well getting the lead streaks out after slug shooting. I just cut squares about 2" and run them back and forth with a brass 12 gauge jag and the bore comes clean in a few minutes.

The Birchwood-Casey cloth is the same as Silver cleaning cloth found at any hardware, Dept. store or Notions Shop.

It just costs 3 times as much.

Get some Chore Boy or Chore Girl copper scouring pads. Cut some off and wrap it around a bore brush for a very tight fit. Takes the lead out very quickly. Works for lead in any type bore. Also removes plastic from shotgun bores.

That, coupled with the silver cloth and other suggestions would be great. Thanks for all the advice. I guess this old dog can be taught some new tricks. :lolol: