Bolt buffer required or no?

smear a little lipstick on the rear trunion and shoot it with some 3 inch cannon rounds. if the bolt has lipstick on it, its kissing the rear trunion, and you might want to consider a buffer, as you are overgassed

I have it in one of my Saiga's and have had no problems.Try it its only $10, and if causes problems take it out. I would go with the Blue Blackjack ones that are soft and slide on the recoil spring guide. The rigid ones are too much pain to install and remove and are probably the real cause of all the malfunctions.

I would think that it'd be more a matter of undergassed or overgassed than how long the barrel was. My S12 (4 hole) is a bit overgassed. Not bad, but it's there. I have heard SEVERAL folks on here saying they had cycling problems that were immediately fixed by simply removing the buffer in their shotgun.

That being said, I haven't experienced a single issue while using my buffer. I made it from a gel insole:

ingun.jpg

smear a little lipstick on the rear trunion and shoot it with some 3 inch cannon rounds. if the bolt has lipstick on it, its kissing the rear trunion, and you might want to consider a buffer, as you are overgassed

Have you ever seen any slo mo video of a 7.62 AK with the reciever cover off? They all 'kiss' the trunnion. That being said, I'm not about to run 3" mags with my reg set on 2, but touching the trunnion is perfectly normal for the Kalashnikov system.

I wouldn't recommend a buffer. Look at all of the Kalashnikovs out there that do not have a buffer and they are fine.