whats the cheapest ammo your s12 will use?

I got my s12 in the mail yesterday, first shotgun I've owned. I went straight to walmart and purchased some winchester white box 2 3/4 1oz #9 shot. I've tried it once with the gas setting on 1 and FTE 5 of 5 rounds. My question is, should I try it on 2 or go swap out the remaining boxes I have for a heavier shot? I read somewhere that these wont cycle anything smaller then 8 shot. Thanks.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Resizing the gas ports is sometimes necessary, but is the solution of last resort.   I would make sure that I have reduced friction and binding first. Over gassed equals more wear and tear on the m

Since Cadiz Gun Works uses Federal Bulk 1 1/8oz from wally world for there warranty work. I use Remington or Federal, it's 23.00 for a hundred rounds. If you try anything lighter than that you will pr

I use Wal-Mart ammo, but only Remington or Federal. What you have described is fairly common for Winchester ammo.

Posted Images

They will not take returned ammo. Check how many gas ports you have. Get atleast medium brass shells and shoot at least 100 rounds. Read this forum and have your bolt polished by Paulski or learn to do it yourself. Your gun should shoot the cheap stuff once you do these things.

I got my s12 in the mail yesterday, first shotgun I've owned. I went straight to walmart and purchased some winchester white box 2 3/4 1oz #9 shot. I've tried it once with the gas setting on 1 and FTE 5 of 5 rounds. My question is, should I try it on 2 or go swap out the remaining boxes I have for a heavier shot? I read somewhere that these wont cycle anything smaller then 8 shot. Thanks.

I would recommend running a few boxes of full power loads through it (on setting 1) to break it in. Then try the low brass stuff you have on setting 2. If it still does not cycle reliably, try some 7 1/2 shot, 1 1/8 oz. and at least 1200 fps. I like the Federal and Remington 100 rd. bulk packs, never tried the Winchester.

BTW, I don't think you can return ammo, but I've seen stranger things happen at wally world.

Just remember to apologize to your shoulder before firing the slugs. lulz

I've shot my fiances Mossberg 500 with slugs before, im really hoping the saiga has less recoil then that does.

I also think im going to attempt a conservative bolt polish tonight. First mod I've ever done to a firearm. Wish me luck.

Doesnt it explain the gas settings in the OWNERS MANUAL?? I cant remember but i swear it does. Sorry, I have nothing to add, except stay away from winchester universal. and #1 for high power loads like buck and slugs and #2 for everything else!

Doesnt it explain the gas settings in the OWNERS MANUAL?? I cant remember but i swear it does. Sorry, I have nothing to add, except stay away from winchester universal. and #1 for high power loads like buck and slugs and #2 for everything else!

It might, I read the gas settings post on here instead of sifting through the manual. It suggested to try light loads on one, and if it didn't cycle to switch to 2, just be sure to switch back to 1 for slugs. I only had a few minutes before I had to head out, so I turned it to one and it failed those 5. I was hoping id be one of the lucky ones who could run anything on 1.

And ill be very careful with the bolt! Im terrifed to do it so im gonna do as little as possible as suggested in the bolt polishing thread. I figure I have to pop my firearms disassembly cherry sometime as im ordering all the parts to do the conversion myself late next week.

Just finishe polishing the bolt. Went better then id hoped. I meant to snap a few pics but I forgot untill it was all back together. Im going to pick up a few more boxes of slugs to run through it before I try the birdshot again. Headed to go shooting tomorrow morning, ill post the results.

Mine cycles anything just fine. Pretty much any light load.

She now cycles cheapo Rio Royal Buckshot as well.. but didn't pre-conversion for some reason.

Use setting #2 for your low powered loads.. birdshot.. etc. Use #1 for anything else.

If everybody would just take Paulski's advice about resizing the gas port holes your shotgun will function anything (lightload) you fire on setting two. I even went as far as slightly modifying the gas plug for setting two works great and not over gassed on setting one.

Resizing the gas ports is sometimes necessary, but is the solution of last resort.

I would make sure that I have reduced friction and binding first. Over gassed equals more wear and tear on the mechanism and causes is own problems. Many of these problems are not as easily correctable as the failure to feed light loads.

• Like 1

Since Cadiz Gun Works uses Federal Bulk 1 1/8oz from wally world for there warranty work. I use Remington or Federal, it's 23.00 for a hundred rounds. If you try anything lighter than that you will probably have cycling issues. That's the cheapest ammo I will use in mine..

Edited by Rangerguy
  • Like 1

Cycled through 60 slugs on 1 with only a few FTE, but still had a 100% fte using the winchester 1oz #9. Im going to start the conversion late next week, so ill polish some stuff up in there while I have it torn apart and hope I have the same result that danklab had.

Cycled through 60 slugs on 1 with only a few FTE, but still had a 100% fte using the winchester 1oz #9. Im going to start the conversion late next week, so ill polish some stuff up in there while I have it torn apart and hope I have the same result that danklab had.

Dude your gun is NOT going to cycle that crap. Winchester is notorious for not cycling in a S-12, especially 1oz crap. Go to wally world and get Federal or Remington 1 1/8oz 7.5 birdshot bulk pack. Do NOT use Winchester.

ETA: I guarantee Danklad will not cycle 1oz winnie reliably.

Edited by Rangerguy

Looks like this guys runs pretty good with Winchester Universal bulk :angel:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNt0GpaZBtA

What is the shot size, weight, and velocity of the ammo your using in the vid ?

This is my baseline testing ammo.

post-22401-0-22376700-1296268513_thumb.jpg

If it doesn't at least run this 100% in stick mags, it isn't running well yet. I can run Federal Multi-Purpose 100% reliably with MD-20s. I haven't tried the Winchester Universal with the MD-20s since I relieved the extractor slot. I have a couple of videos with a couple different Saiga 12s and MD-20s, but the soft Winchester hulls were catching in the extractor slot.

ETA 2:

Ooops.... just read the OP again and didn't realize he was using 9 shot. I haven't tried any of that yet. Mine may not cycle it either, but I will try a box or two of it and will post video if it runs.

ETA:

Ranger,

His might not cycle that crap, but mine will ;)

Edited by evlblkwpnz