That's what happens when teachers are not allowed to spank kids; they turn discipline over to the police. But, it works out well because it prepares our children for their proper place in the police state of the future.

• Like 1

Read the comments, though. This boy was no angel, and he wasn't in possession of a permanent marker by accident...

"Submitted by miss on Fri, 2010-12-24 12:41. I am also a teacher at this school. I also agree that what happened should NOT have happened in that manner. I would have (as I have done many times before) just taken the marker and called the parents. But, we have NO IDEA what happened before the incident. The 7th graders at our school are a rough bunch. This teacher is not an idiot. She is not someone I hang around with or even call a friend, but she is a really, really good teacher. Her test scores are ALWAYS high and the kids learn a lot in her class. We spend a lot of money each week repainting the bathrooms and sanding (or whatever they do) the sides of the building from tagging. Our furniture is old and outdated so we try our best to make it look good and clean for our students. Maybe this was an overreaction, but you all have no idea what we go through in a typical day. Did you know that most of our classes have OVER 35 students in them? We teach 5 sections of our subjects so that's around 170 or so students we see in a day. Our school is 90% hispanic, 100% free lunch, and we have every kind of gang there is. I think our students are wonderful kids. They really are. But, right or wrong, home is not where they learn rules."

From another teacher in that school:

" As I have had him in class, I am qualified to comment. I cannot give his name (under penalty of law) but I can assure you that he is not quite the stellar student and pillar of society that some (without any knowledge) would hold him up to be. The policeman that is assigned to our school (by the City of Oklahoma City) is there for a reason... we have a gang problem. Our policeman acts in the most honorable manner with students and is there to enforce City and State statutes... not to enforce school rules. He does not get involved in "school business." Mrs. Woodside did not call the police, she called the office. She followed protocol. The policeman followed his protocols. The only person who refused to follow instruction was the student."

An article about the extent of "tagging" and its effects at the school:

"Gangbusters: Summer work eliminates graffiti (Oklahoma City, OK): Students at Roosevelt Middle School in Oklahoma City got involved in graffiti removal work this past summer. With seven gangs reported to have been roaming school halls and painting lockers with obscene language and gang symbols, the principal felt the need to do something about the problems. Lockers were ripped out and replaced with themed sitting areas for students to socialize. School records show 100 fighting incidents and about 350 instances of gang activity last school year. Since the start of this semester, fights have decreased more than 75 percent, and teachers have seen less than two dozen problems involving gangs. Students caught getting involved with gang activity face suspensions ranging from 10 days to a full school year. The principal said as gang members start marking their territory, the issue is then one of who socializes in that area. 'The quicker we can get the graffiti down, the quicker we have control of the area,' she said."

• Like 1

legalize drugs. lift all weapon laws. abolish taxes.

this was typical in the schools back home right after i graduated. the teachers i know personally nowadays back there are dealing with a nightmare. hell one friend of mine worked with a damned serial killer, and another got to watch hillary put a mutli million dollar internet teaching system into the school, and it caused grades to DROP. they closed wood and metal shop as well, fearing intentional injury lawsuits. the pricipal of that same school left with half the school budget for the four or five years he was in control.

say goodbye to the USA we know now and knew back then. its allllll downhill from here.

i just find it shocking how dumb some people can be, i mean the kid was 13, and he was writing on a piece of paper, its not like he was trying to deliberately vandalize anything. why not just make him clean up the supposed mess he made, then throw away his marker?

it just seems like a waste of tax payer money to arrest him

• Like 2

It was reported here that he tried to hide the marker, if true, this would certainly indicate that he was well aware that he was in violation of the rules and the law. Graffiti is a HUGE and expensive problem in our schools as wel as public and private property.

Maybe you want your home or business adorned with a bunch of profain gang related gibberish, but most of us don't.

My hat is off to this teacher for making a stand! I just wish that they could have handled it in school with disipline, but with gangs, that is not as easy as it once was...

Edited by Azrial
  • Like 4

Jeezum....We didn't have Gangs in school when I was a kid, (many many years ago) but I can remember using my Pocket Knife to carve a Van Halen logo into my chair in 7th grade.

Got busted, teacher took my knife and made me scrub all the desks clean of pen and marker vandalism after school. Never did stupid crap like that again.

Nowadays I would get JAIL time for having a potential Murder weapon!! Strange, I never ever thought of stabbing someone with it. Heck every boy had a pocket knife or Swiss army knife!! No stabbings in my school.

I must be old....It seems to be a different world.

When will they FINALLY mandate Parental Testing before allowing people to breed?!?!

• Like 1

It was reported here that he tried to hide the marker, if true, this would certainly indicate that he was well aware that he was in violation of the rules and the law. Graffiti is a HUGE and expensive problem in our schools as wel as public and private property.

Maybe you want your home or business adorned with a bunch of profain gang related gibberish, but most of us don't.

My hat is off to this teacher for making a stand! I just wish that they could have handled it in school with disipline, but with gangs, that is not as easy as it once was...

fair enough, gang graffiti is much worse than vandalism in and of itself because it represents something much worse than an act of disrespect. but im not sure that in this case gang graffiti was the issue. the kid was writing on a piece of paper. it wasnt even necessarily vandalism at all, but rather being in possession of a marker.

it just seems like a metaphorical slap on the wrist would have been more appropriate than arresting him. maybe make him go pick up trash or something

Metaphor shit. Whip his ass with the paddle, literally, then make him clean a whole bunch of shit.

Gangs need to be outlawed. Throw them all in prison, and make them in there until they decide to not

be in a gang. Until then, we've got free labor to put to use. Design a factory for cons, then put them

in solitary if they don't make good product.

Metaphor shit. Whip his ass with the paddle, literally, then make him clean a whole bunch of shit.

Gangs need to be outlawed. Throw them all in prison, and make them in there until they decide to not

be in a gang. Until then, we've got free labor to put to use. Design a factory for cons, then put them

in solitary if they don't make good product.

FREEDOM OF ASSOCIATION - ban gangs you say then guess what happens the state changes what constitutes a gang........

NO jail time, it further victimizes the taxpayer. All gang related activeity should be met with extreme predjudice, ei, death on the spot. Start here, then take Mexico. And lets not forget Al Quida, etc.

That said, I do believe the incident above have been blowen out of proportion by both sides. Sadly, thats going to happen alot in our new interweb society.

i believe being associated with any gang is in and of itself a felony. i agree that sending them to jail is an unnecessary burden on society though. so how about we ship them far away from any outside contacts, and force them into slave labor. if they dont work, then they dont eat. make them repay their debt to society with 20 hour work days for the rest of their lives. and if we dont have any particular tasks for them, then make them manually move magnets over wire coils to produce electricity.

sustainable energy!! it would be good for the economy and the environment!!

LOL

I've had some crappy teachers... many GOOD ones too... but some can be quite cruel, childish, ignorant and stupid. The LEO should have laughed it off, sent the student home with a "bad boy" note, and then he should have spoken to the principle about wasting valuable LEO time.

EDIT: Regarding gang symbols, etc. I'm fairly sure had this been the case it would have been mentioned in the article.

Edited by Mike1234567

I've had some crappy teachers... many GOOD ones too... but some can be quite cruel, childish, ignorant and stupid. The LEO should have laughed it off, sent the student home with a "bad boy" note, and then he should have spoken to the principle about wasting valuable LEO time.

EDIT: Regarding gang symbols, etc. I'm fairly sure had this been the case it would have been mentioned in the article.

exactly. just because the kid had a marker does not necessarily mean that hes in a gang and trying to vandalize other peoples property with gang graffiti.

I like how this went from a kid writing on a desk to what we should do with our criminals to the country's gone to shit.

let's all just take a moment, relax, and think about bacon

much better!

Yeah, the kids 13....at that age whooping his ass is only going to make him hate authority even more, to bad we can't make him come in every morning before school to clean all that graffiti up. Kids hate cleaning, it teaches them quickly.

• Like 2

First the parents have failed, then the education system has failed, now everything is reduced to a police incident where once again the justice system will fail. This kid is not a threat to anybody or anything. He's just a victim of everyone else's failure to prevent a climate where this kind of bullshit can happen.