Greetings. I just upgraded my main AK rig from a Russian Tarzan M22 assault vest to an Arktis K171 hybrid combat vest.

The Russian rig: tarzanm22a.jpg

The Arktis rig: arktisk171hybridcombatv.jpg

The Arktis can hold more stuff, and the ammo pouches are adjustable to take any sized mag, AK 30 rounders included. It also has more adjustment points than the M22. I could never get the Tarzan set up right, it ALWAYS felt uncomfortable. The Arktis feels a lot better, but even saying that, I still wonder if there isn't a way to make it more so.

Now I know you ain't gonna get a lot of comfort humping 8 loaded 30 round AK mags, plus a knife, Kobra scope, and a hydration bladder etc. , but if I can minimize this thing digging in to the back of my neck it would help a bit.

Aside from wearing a shirt or jacket with a high or standing collar, is there anything that can be done make a assault vest more comfortable to wear? Maybe some of you military vets have a tip or two on how to tweak these rigs?

I have a US FLC setup that I like a lot, but it too does dig into my neck, not much really, and if I wear any shirt with a collar it doesn't hurt at all. The M4 double mag pouches will each hold one AK magazine so you are somewhat limited there I just run it with 5 magazines for an AK. This rig however is soon to be redone for an AR.

HPIM1417.jpg?t=1300438071

What I like to do best for AK magazines though is use older ALICE suspenders and belt for my pistol, knife, etc, then a Chicom rig over that like the one I have pictured here. They are awesomely comfortable and very light.

HPIM1357.jpg?t=1300438084

Both of these setups can be used very comfortably with a backpack. The Chicom setup has the advantage that if you want you can just use your belt on your pants for your pistol, and ditch everything else while just keeping the light Chicom rig. This makes for an excellent lightweight rig that gives you plenty of fire and no extra weight.

I prefer to keep my rigs somewhat light and modular. Any food, water, shelter or other supplies is kept separate from the weapons and ammo. If I need to ditch gear to move faster right now, I can still keep my weapons running while ditching extra weight that doesn't help at that moment.

Nice rig. I actually run a different setup for each of my rifles. For my AK I use the Arktis, for my AK74 I have a chest rig 7.62 Tactical made for me that has molle panels on each side of the ammo pouches that allow me to carry binoculars, a drop pouch, and the Russian pouch I have for my POSP scope. It's a lightweight strictly rifleman rig.

For my FAL I have South African Pattern 70 webbing, which is actually the most comfortable of any I use:

sa70bracesa.jpg

This setup has plenty of room for mags and pouches to carry other stuff as needed.

Back to the Arktis though, I like how the shoulders can be adjusted for length, and it rides better on me than the Russian rig did. I've tried it sitting high on my chest which I thought would alleviate some of the pressure, but instead it had the opposite effect. Then I dropped it back down and it was more comfortable, but I wonder if maybe wearing a bandanna or lightweight scarf of some type might help a bit too? Don't know of anything I could do to the rig itself to help...

Comfortable is a relative term. Any vest that has ballistic panels and foam padding will put less wear and tear on your body when carrying a load but the tradeoff is mobility, chaffing and being too damned hot in all but the coolest weather. I look at your mesh Arktis rig and think " I'll bet that guy is more comfortable than I am" but I am referring to heat while the factor of how it feels to carry a packmule loadout makes my armored vests better in some small way.

you can't have it all so you have to weigh your priorities and your budget then see what fits the bill for you.

By the way, I want to thank all of you for not wearing desert colors while living in plains,coastal and woodland environments. Nothing screams "Mall Ninja" like the faux operator all decked out in tan or coyote gear while living in the middle of a green and verdant environment.

Edited by SOPMOD
  • Like 1

By the way, I want to thank all of you for not wearing desert colors while living in plains,coastal and woodland environments. Nothing screams "Mall Ninja" like the faux operator all decked out in tan or coyote gear while living in the middle of a green and verdant environment.

What, you've never seen the high desert of Georgia??? It is right below the towering mountains that exceed 4800 feet... :haha::haha:

No problem on the non-desert colored stuff. I like to mix and match patterns anyway. I am of the opinion that your actions and ability to hide have more bearing on staying hidden than camouflage does. I use things to break up my shape. Right now my AR rig has ACU, coyote brown, od green, marpat and multicam all on the same setup. If I need to hide better I'll smear dirt on it. But mostly I would plan on a more urban environment being right in the middle of Des Moines. For me camouflage is more about breaking up my solid shape.

If your rig is set right, and you have a good, heavy, well fitted belt/pants to bear some of the weight it shouldn't be too bad.You might think I'm nuts, but try it. Tight pants, tight belt and cinch those loops as short as you can in the back.

I run a blackhawk doav for long classes, myself. Other than that, put some weight in the back pouches/pack area. It's more to carry, but it is better than having that back strap being dug into the back of your neck, and being off balance for hours running around. I used 2 or 3 SA 308 battle packs myself at one point.

IMHO, anyway.

• Like 1

I'm currently running a Blackhawk S.T.R.I.K.E. CRCH plate carrier in coyote (sorry SOPMOD), but all of my pouches are multicam. Has 5 mag pouches in front that'll expand to accomodate several sized mags (even S12). One of them I often carry my Glock in with a retainer strap, but it depends. 3 pistol mags, an IFAK and a more extensive medic pack, dump bag, misc fanny pack and a hydration carrier.

I'll get a pic up shortly.

*EDIT TO ADD PICS*

I use this model currently. Mine has a full back added on though:

CRCH2.jpg

Mine.jpg

Edited by Corbin

If your rig is set right, and you have a good, heavy, well fitted belt/pants to bear some of the weight it shouldn't be too bad.You might think I'm nuts, but try it. Tight pants, tight belt and cinch those loops as short as you can in the back.

I run a blackhawk doav for long classes, myself. Other than that, put some weight in the back pouches/pack area. It's more to carry, but it is better than having that back strap being dug into the back of your neck, and being off balance for hours running around. I used 2 or 3 SA 308 battle packs myself at one point.

IMHO, anyway.

Yes this is also true. You do need to have the weight as evenly distributed as possible to keep it from dragging down at any point. I also agree on the tighter clothes. They just feel better with gear.

Tight pants = Tight groupings:

Magpul-Tight-Pants-Tight-Groupings.jpg

Sure, is that why the USMC adopted Coyote colored field equipment for wear with woodland or desert uniforms? My team followed suit buying Coyote gear for the same reason. It eliminates the need to buy two different colored sets of gear. Coyote isn't mall ninja, Airsoft rails and other silly cheap shit on a weapon intended on being a "fighting gun" is. Multicam is where it's at but mall ninjas are sporting it as well. Sorry, back on topic.

ETA: Desert tan in a woodland area is totally different. Coyote is darker and useful in any environment.

Edited by MT Predator

IMHO, anyway.

If you do wear a rig which incorporates a belt, tightening the belt will let your hips bear the weight and your shoulders to steady the load. Same concept when humping a heavy ruck. A hydration pouch will help balance you out as well. I'm not on board with the tight pants concept though!

Edited by MT Predator
  • Like 1

Barry-1.JPG

I couldn't even tell you the origin, but I know its comfy as hell and holds 8 30 round AK mags...

P7010004.JPG

Its just leftovers from when I was in the service man, LOL.

Aw hell Nailbomb, you busted out some Mall Ninja shit! LOL! My PC and pouches are Coyote and work just fine whatever anybody thinks and it's not cheap stuff either. Some of it has really been to hell and back a few times and it is comfortable and functional.

• Like 1

you guys expecting some kind of invasion or something?

You enjoy the aspects of the shooting sport you like, and I'll enjoy mine.

I get no joy sitting at a bench and putting my gun in a vise. Get me in a kneeling position with a hasty sling doing reloads on a smoking hot weapon from a vest and my blood gets going.

you guys expecting some kind of invasion or something?

You enjoy the aspects of the shooting sport you like, and I'll enjoy mine.

I get no joy sitting at a bench and putting my gun in a vise. Get me in a kneeling position with a hasty sling doing reloads on a smoking hot weapon from a vest and my blood gets going.

I wasn't trying to be serious..just joking with you guys..when I go to the range all my stuff is crammed in my shotgun bag and flops around loose..I just never hought about organizing it in a tac vest..

Yeah, I'm thinking a hydro bladder might balance the load out a bit. Should help to counter the vest digging into the back of my kneck. Gets hot as hell at the range anyway, and they charge a buck for canned cokes and two for a bottle of water! :cryss:

Edited by Jpanzer

Ok Jpanzer ya talked me into it after I did a bunch of searching. I have the Arktis K170 US Woodland coming. Had the best options to add more stuff and the cost was definitely better than most. SOPMOD I did not get the :ph34r: model since it's pretty green here in the jungles of SC :D

Again really appreciate the subject, helps a lot to see all of these great opinions. Also nice to see one thread that did not degrade..........

I wasn't trying to be serious..just joking with you guys..when I go to the range all my stuff is crammed in my shotgun bag and flops around loose..I just never hought about organizing it in a tac vest..

You forgot the smiley man!

they charge a buck for canned cokes and two for a bottle of water! :cryss:

Isn't that amazing water is more expensive than soda.

Back on topic, thanks for starting this thread. Have you hauled S12 mags in the Arktis K171?

Hey, thanks to you guys for giving some good advice and honest opinions. :super: Haven't tried S12 mags in the Arktis yet. 5 and probably 8 rounders I think would be good to go, but I don't think the top of the pouches will close on a 10 or 12 rounder. Hang on a sec.... Two 10 rounders will fit in each pouch with the tops behind them though , 'cause I just checked it out for you! ;)

BTW - this is what I haul S12 10 round mags in: usgearammobag.jpg

USGI General Purpose Ammo Bag. I carry four S12 10 rounders and two 5 rounders in it. But six 10 or 12 rounders would work too...

Edited by Jpanzer

IMHO, anyway.

Yes this is also true. You do need to have the weight as evenly distributed as possible to keep it from dragging down at any point. I also agree on the tighter clothes. They just feel better with gear.

Tight pants = Tight groupings:

Magpul-Tight-Pants-Tight-Groupings.jpg

I've been wearing compression shorts and a kidney belt under my gear for 20 years but that guy belongs in a gay bar not a fight and with no mags,no radio,no water and no armor he's a Minute Steak no matter how accurate or fast he is or how cool he thinks holding his thumb on top of his rifle is.