How strong is the S12?

I was just thinking.. Are these things strong? Seems like the only issues people are having ( think early 2001 models ) are with the pistons. Anyone have issues with the trunnion? What about receivers cracking? Are the barrels strong? Can they withstand drops on the muzzle end? Can they bend?

I was just thinking.. Are these things strong? Seems like the only issues people are having ( think early 2001 models ) are with the pistons. Anyone have issues with the trunnion? What about receivers cracking? Are the barrels strong? Can they withstand drops on the muzzle end? Can they bend?

If my car broke in half, I'd weld a Saiga 12 to the bottom of the frame.

• Like 2

So you dont think the barrel could bend from being dropper on the muzzle end or thrown? Reason Im wondering is because this thing is pretty thin.

Anything is possible!

Try it. If it bends, i'll buy your S12 as a parts gun.

• Like 1

this is an interesting question, especially regarding the overall durability of the action and rear trunnion. does anyone know of any tests performed to see how everything holds up after many rounds were discharged?

There's plenty of members here who have an absurd amount of rounds through their S12's, and I don't recall reading about any catastrophic failures. Aside from cracked op-rods, but IIRC, it was a manufacturing defect, as opposed to wear-n-tear.

Hell, I think BVamp is still running his S12 he got in 2003 or so. I can't remember exactly, but I do remember him saying that he's had one of his S12's for a very long time.

this is an interesting question, especially regarding the overall durability of the action and rear trunnion. does anyone know of any tests performed to see how everything holds up after many rounds were discharged?

There's plenty of members here who have an absurd amount of rounds through their S12's, and I don't recall reading about any catastrophic failures. Aside from cracked op-rods, but IIRC, it was a manufacturing defect, as opposed to wear-n-tear.

Hell, I think BVamp is still running his S12 he got in 2003 or so. I can't remember exactly, but I do remember him saying that he's had one of his S12's for a very long time.

yea, i was thinking we probably have members here who have put lots of rounds through their saigas. ive only been here a short time, but i havent seen anyone mention failures due to this

JUST TODAY I did a test with my slow-mo camera. I did some slow-mo video of JUST the action of the bolt carrier slamming the trunnion using different types of rounds and my MDA gas plug. I collaborated the videos together and put some music to it and even labeled what rounds were being fired and what setting my gas plug was on. The idea was inspired (who I give all credit to for the idea) to forum member EVLBLKWPNS. I'm waiting on the video to upload on youtube right now and it's taking forever...but as soon as it's finished, you can bet I'll be posting the shit out of that. I have had THOUSANDS of rounds through my S12's and a lot of those "thousands" have been high brass. There has been no problems to the bolt carrier or trunnion. The thing is made to take a lifetime of serious physical abuse to the max. I made the vid in slight hopes of debunkifying the "myth" that your trunnion will take "damage" from shooting high brass rounds. I only used Remington 2 3/4 00 Buck, Federal wally world bulk pack and Winchester Universal...because that's all I had. I guess I could have used a wider variety, but the point is, the bolt carrier still slams into the trunnion with NO ISSUES

JUST TODAY I did a test with my slow-mo camera. I did some slow-mo video of JUST the action of the bolt carrier slamming the trunnion using different types of rounds and my MDA gas plug. I collaborated the videos together and put some music to it and even labeled what rounds were being fired and what setting my gas plug was on. The idea was inspired (who I give all credit to for the idea) to forum member EVLBLKWPNS. I'm waiting on the video to upload on youtube right now and it's taking forever...but as soon as it's finished, you can bet I'll be posting the shit out of that. I have had THOUSANDS of rounds through my S12's and a lot of those "thousands" have been high brass. There has been no problems to the bolt carrier or trunnion. The thing is made to take a lifetime of serious physical abuse to the max. I made the vid in slight hopes of debunkifying the "myth" that your trunnion will take "damage" from shooting high brass rounds. I only used Remington 2 3/4 00 Buck, Federal wally world bulk pack and Winchester Universal...because that's all I had. I guess I could have used a wider variety, but the point is, the bolt carrier still slams into the trunnion with NO ISSUES

Now maybe if you CONSTANTLY were running overgassed on slugs, 000 buck and heavy shit, I suppose perhaps the "life" of the firearm may be reduced quite a bit...but I still doubt it. The bolt carrier would have issues before trunnion would.

a press lol. my gasblock was tighter then anything i have ever pressed before it took maxing out my home press to pop it off, i have a 40 ton press at work but i cant walk in with a shotgun haha

Wouldn't be worth your time to try if you f***'ed your gun up. 12 tons is a lot of force. I'd just be happy it didn't bend or break and have extreme confidence in the Russian ingenuity of your S12 now :super:

thats awesome to hear man. i really liked the first video you posted up, and i look forward to seeing your other videos.

metal and slow motion firing a saiga. hell yea!!

Well............we're waiting!! :D

• Like 1

One member did post pics of a gun that had the pins holding the barrel in break or fall out- the barrel shifted forwards in the reciever.

Someone said it was a "safety feature" to allow the gun to fail in way that would not hurt you if subjected to a dangerous load.