Does this look normal wear to you? To me it looks like the hammer is riding too high and is rubbing the bottom of the bolt. The gun functions just fine with high and low brass with no problem. The wear just looks outta place and I haven't noticed it until the gun was converted. I'll try to attach the other photo, its saying its too big.

post-25216-0-35082100-1300811967_thumb.jpg

I appreciate the feedback, this forum is hard to search and "bolt" isn't an acceptable search word. I didn't want this thing wearing down till its useless.

It will of course, all mechanical things will. Your grandkids should be concerned...

You can actually just type the words Saiga 12 in your normal google search with the topic you want and will be directed to this site everytime. Google is pretty amazing, but really this site is what makes it work so well. This site is the absolute authority on the S12 so any search about it will direct you here. It's freaking simple to find the topic you want, all you have to do is put in a little effort. You will actually get your answer faster than starting a thread and waiting for different people to give you answers, the info is already here more than likely. This is not directed at anyone in particular, so don't be offended.

Thx for the input I will definately give the google search a try. I am very aware of how useful this forum is, I have been using it for over 3 years now, and am thankful that everyone here has so many great resources to go to. You must forgive me, I am not very familiar with Google search and I believe if I actually post a picture of my specific problem so that others can see that it would be more useful than me just "guessing" that my problem falls in the same category. We all have a great place to go, to have other people that have been in our shoes and the true professionals help us out. I appreciate the input that everyone gives myself and the other people around here, and the patience to direct people to the appropriate resources.

I wonder if the texas ak guys or arsenal already have their hammers profiled. Hmmmmmmm

Nope.

The thickness of the bottoms of the carriers all differ too, so one should match the hammer to the carrier & check for proper engagement of the hammer to the disconnecter when the trigger's pulled & you hand cycle like I do all sets if profiling a hammer.

With all the inconsistencies, if a set's not matched to the carrier it's safer for companies just to make oversized hammers.

Sure, your gun won't run right, but at least they won't get sued. ;)

If my gun didn't run so well with both loads I would definatly get the bolt carrier and bolt polished by you. When it comes down to taking stuff off of parts that are essential to the weapon, I assume to just leave that to the people with the experience. But when the day comes I might just be knockin on your door for a polish job. Thx for the post sir.

• 9 months later...

Completely normal, and it would take hundreds of thousands of rounds before the bolt wore down enough to become "useless" IF that could ever happen. Let's not forget that it's the bolt carrier that resets the hammer, The bolt is just along for the ride. Since the bolt carrier sits lower than the bolt, the bolt will probably wear to a certain point and then not show any more signs of wear ever again.

Of course, very few of us will ever notice this because most of us have polished and re-profiled the bolt...

1221111804.jpg

yeah normal. Thats why you should have your bolt modded/polished and have your hammer profiled correctly ( no one does this except Pauly AFAIK ) and have it polished.

Cobra's Custom and C&S Metal Werkes do it too as well as Pauly's Steelin'. Everyone seems to have variations in technique and amount of material removed. All offer an improvement over the factory TAPCO G2 profile. All are business members here.

I usually do my own, but it is somewhat stressful when you are trying to aggressively remove material from the underside of the bolt without going to far. really depends on where you want to go with it.... honest to goodness closed bolt loading mod or just a little friction reduction.