Of course, look at gunbroker and the recent sales of just the basic unconverted model. They are already selling like hotcakes for $800 with many others selling for $900. "If" they end up banning them, you'll be EXTREMELY lucky to find one ever again for $1000. My guess is that the starting price would be around $1400-1500. I sincerely hope it never comes to that and instead we get them in for $400 with pistol grip (study said they considered it sporting).

I would say not at first, because people like me that live in shitty states like New Jersey will have to unload their Saiga12s in a hurry if that ruling passes. I would guess that a whole bunch of Saiga12's will hit the market at once if this comes to pass.

Edited by lunker

I would say not at first, because people like me that live in shitty states like New Jersey will have to unload their Saiga12s in a hurry if that ruling passes. I would guess that a whole bunch of Saiga12's will hit the market at once if this comes to pass.

Why would you have to unload them? He said if they banned importation, not declared them a DD. If they only banned importation you and everyone else would still be able to keep them. Now if they declared them a DD, then everything changes.

Why would you have to unload them? He said if they banned importation, not declared them a DD. If they only banned importation you and everyone else would still be able to keep them. Now if they declared them a DD, then everything changes.

Oops. You are correct. I am so used to the worst case scenario threads (DD - in which case I would have to sell, or move) that I automatically went there. Banned importation would suck, but hopefully a domestic manufacturer would see the profit potential and make something just as good.

Well I just payed $675 from K-var for a stock IZ-109 then I was talking to a business member here and it seem thet the russians raised there price due to the demand over here It seems like everyone whats a bigger peice of the pie and if nothing happen with the "study" and everything goes back to normal the S-12's will run in the $600 to $750 range from now on. It is the same thing that happened 3 or 4 years ago there was no new shippment coming in and everyone was saying that there were going to be no new S-12 allowed in the country so they went from $300 each to $5-600 each and when the new shippment finally did come in the price dropped back down to the $450 tp $550 range and we never saw $300 saigas again and that is what is going to happen here once they see they can get more for something they never lower the price.

Just look at the pre ban and post ban prices of lots of guns today. I can remember when Galil, FAL, and HK's were $700 and less (the real deal, not the clones of today). Actual BAN means a instant and long lasting price jump. Will it happen with the Saiga, not a clue......if it happens to the Saiga, will it happen to anything else-probably......Take a look at what's most likely on the chopping block and get shopping for the best deal you can find, or wait and see.

• Like 1

After the ATF study is complete and if they end up banning

the importation of the Saiga 12,do you think the craziness will take the

price of an S-12 to the $1000.00 mark?

An ATF import ban would make the value of current guns go up. The $1000 mark would be the beginning.

An ATF reclassification (own a high cap mag+Saiga = DD) would probably make for something of a sell off of both guns and mags, and may lessen the demand for them.. since for some the main attraction of the S12 is the drums. .. but I think an import ban would be more likely.

My original point I was trying to make was if they banned the importation will people be

saying, "Wow $1000.00 for an S-12 thats an OK price."

poly-Tec Legend use to sell for $400.00 in 1988,then went to as high as $1200.00 not

too long after that and people where buying.

Yes. People will pay it because if there is one thing that is true, it is this:

At present, there is simply no other shotgun platform on the planet that is in the same league.

$1000 base price for an S12? And another $1000 in aftermarket goods .. so $2k for a shotgun

that spanks guns in the same price range like the Benelli? Whats not to like? Some will

bellyache about the good old days when you could make one up for $500 and be done with it ..

But the fact of the matter is, for $2k - it is still a good deal. Factor in the novelty of owning

a 'banned' gun .. especially one that can be made to LOOK as bad ass as the S12, and you

have a gun that is likely to appreciate in value very quickly.

Until a better shotgun platform comes around that is less money, the S12 will be attractive.

I own one S12, that I picked up awhile ago for $350. If, in two or three years time I was in the

market for a second shotgun, I would not hesitate buying a $1k S12 if that was the only way to

get one.

But.. that said .. I don't need another shotgun. And likely never will, unless my S12 breaks.

If the price goes over $1000, then you will see a company start making it in the U.S.

Keep in mind it's not an expensive thing to produce. The Russians make it for around $45.

Where are the American made Dragunovs then? A real Dragunov (not Romak/PSL) goes for several thousand dollars. For that matter, why don't we build loads and loads of AKs?

There are a lot of dynamics to all this.. if S12's are banned, you might see them around for sale - rarely, like the Dragunovs - at an inflated price point due to lack of supply.

But that doesn't mean the market is ready to bare a steady supply selling for $1000/per to cover higher USA-made overhead.. it just means a few die-hards aren't willing to settle for anything less than the most bad-ass shotgun on the planet. Even if it costs them $2000 to convince someone to sell theirs..

• Like 1

If the price goes over $1000, then you will see a company start making it in the U.S.

Keep in mind it's not an expensive thing to produce. The Russians make it for around $45.

Where are the American made Dragunovs then? A real Dragunov (not Romak/PSL) goes for several thousand dollars. For that matter, why don't we build loads and loads of AKs?

There are a lot of dynamics to all this.. if S12's are banned, you might see them around for sale - rarely, like the Dragunovs - at an inflated price point due to lack of supply.

But that doesn't mean the market is ready to bare a steady supply selling for $1000/per to cover higher USA-made overhead.. it just means a few die-hards aren't willing to settle for anything less than the most bad-ass shotgun on the planet. Even if it costs them $2000 to convince someone to sell theirs..

I'm guessing that the Dragunov is more of a specialty item with a smaller following of 'collector' type people. But the S12 has more widespread popularity and so if there is enough demand, a domestic manufacturer would step up, presumably.

If the gun goes up in price substantially, I'd probably sell mine. Of course, I don't have a ton of money laying around so that might be a factor....

I've got about $600 between the gun, conversion, and goodies so It's win, win for me. Personally, though, I hope the ATF guy doing the study falls, hits his head, and doesn't even know what a Saiga 12 is when he comes around....lol

Doubt it, I would like to see some citations to back this up.

Russia is a cheaper to do business, labor is cheap, the machines exist in a factory, etc.

You can get a good US made AK receiver for less than $50 in bulk from NoDakSpud. These are said to be very nice AK type, no 12 gauge ones today but they could certainly do them assuming no license issues etc. By they time you buy all the other parts and have some one assemble the parts into a gun it's going to be a lot more. This assumes you don't have to actually build a production facility for barrels or something like that, which will add a lot up-front cost.

Yeah, all you would need to make in the U.S. is the receiver. Legally, that is the gun. All of the other parts are just metal.

So all it would take is to make the receiver and maybe the barrel in the U.S. and then buy all of the other parts from Izhmash.

I'm thinking someone will eventually do that.