saiga s12 keeps jamming

Hi I recently purchased a saiga s12 and I was shooting it with 8shot shells that I bought at wall mart and it keeps jamming on me. Any advise?

first, put this in the right section http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?/forum/2-saiga-12/

second use the search function (it's that thing that says search at the top right hand of the page

third read this http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?/topic/39881-welcome-new-users-read-this-first/

fourth read about the gas plug....there's possibly over a gazillion posts

If that fails send it back for warranty work.

GOOD LUCK AND WELCOME TO THE FORUM

This should go under the Saiga 12 section.

You have an Arsenal 74 and a Saiga 12 that are both jamming? Thats a lot of jamming.

1. Make sure you use setting #2 on the gas plug for light ammo.

2. Saiga 12s don't always like to run light ammo out of the box, some need broken in with high brass 1st, others need modded to run it.

3. Which brand shells were you using, the Winchester universals are known to not create enough pressure to cycle very well.

4. Check your gas ports, pull out the gas plug and see how many gas ports from the barrel into the gas tube you can see and use a bent paperclip to find any hidden ports and to make sure they are unobstructed.

Check the forums here, this is a common issue and there are billions of posts suggesting remedies for it.

Here is some info that a guy posted to me about your question Luis:

The main problem is the Winchester Universal ammo. It's cheap garbage ammo and is about the worst thing he can try to feed it. There are lots of threads about it he will see once he gets back online. The other thing is, if the gun is brand new, it will require some shooting it to get it loosened up a bit.

Make sure the gas setting is set to #2, and try to run some of the Federal bulk pack ammo instead. It should do better than the Winchester. If it still chokes on most rounds, you may have an issue with the gas. Take the gas plug out and look down in the hole in the bottom. You should see at least three gas ports in there. If they are partially hidded by the gas block, or drilled too small, the gun won't have enough gas to cycle the action correctly.

It also helps a lot to get the bolt and carrier polished to help it run smoother. I can help him with that if he wants.

Here is your problem: You are shooting 8 shot out of a new gun that was designed for high brass military rounds. Hold off on the cheap ammo for a couple range trips. Read up on this issue and do the mods that you feel comfortable doing and know you can not mess up. Have a business member do the more advanced mods that you may not feel comfortable doing. But the main thing is to shoot it a lot without the cheap ammo. This is all assuming that your gun does not have a factory flaw like incorrect gas ports. Have fun and enjoy.

Edited by King of the Hill

Yeah man, it's a long learning process but it's all pretty simple stuff in the grand scheme of things.

First, these guns oftentimes require a bit of a "break-in" period. Try running a good bit of FEDERAL buck-shot through it. After a couple hundred rounds of that you'll pretty much know where you stand.

First thing I'd do is spend $20 with Mike Davidson www.mdarms.com and get a V-plug, it's the best plug on the market for the money. That way you don't have to use a screwdriver to push the detent button to adjust your gas plug.

Second thing, well, there is a member named Pauly...

I used to build telescopes...and what you start out with is a couple of pieces of glass, some differing grades of abrasive, some pitch, and you begin.

And while the very idea that you might produce something that is accurate to within about 1/2,000,000 th of an inch, using only common home workshop tools, is very intimidating, it really shouldn't be.

You do one small job at a time, first this one, then that one. Within time, and it may take some time, you'll have in your hands, a device that will let you observe galaxies, nebulae, planets, double stars, star clusters, the sun, the moon and so forth, even look back into time, and do so with amazing clarity. To build a house even, you do the same, start with one simple job (digging the foundation), and continue doing those simple jobs, in proper order, until you have a house.

With the S12, you have a device that will give itself over wonderfully to doing that same thing. First simple job, do a forum search and read. That will lead you to simple job number two, exercising a certain break-in procedure. Follow that with examining your gun closely, as to port number and size, and so on, until one day, very soon most likely, you'll have a gun in your hands that will utterly amaze you. Believe me, it's worth doing....and you'll never regret that simple progression of simple jobs, that even a simpleton can do with remarkable success.

Good luck, and don't take any shortcuts....that way, you'll get to enjoy every aspect of Saiga 12 ownership, which is indeed, a worthwhile endeavor.

Thank you to every one for your advise. Im also going to take some gun smith classes as soon as I have the money . Any one here from the las vegas area?

Your best bet get some slug and 00 buck and shoot the hell out of it then try the wimpchester or federal. If it dosen't work then have the ports checked for proper size and number of ports for the barrel length. If the low barass still gives you fits after this with the stock plug then try polishing the rails and bolt carrier assembly. The v plug and others are fine plugs and great for that fine tuning but its still a bandaid on a broken leg if your ports are obstructed and or under sized.

Hi I recently purchased a saiga s12 and I was shooting it with 8shot shells that I bought at wall mart and it keeps jamming on me. Any advise?

Here is my advice. 1st. With a new Saiga-12 rack the bolt back and forth about 125 to 150 times to start the break-in...it sounds stupid but it actually works. I did it for both of my Saiga-12s' on the advice of a gunsmith. You might want to wear a leather glove to protect your hand when you do this.

2nd. Although the #2 setting on the gas plug IS indeed meant for light shells, it is still better to use nothing less than #7 shot shells.

# 8 and #9 shot shells are really pushing it for a new Saiga-12. Be VERY careful to switch it back to the lower power #1 gas setting when going to buck shot, slugs, or 3 1/2 inch shells or the bolt/gas piston system might beat in the back of your Saiga shot gun. Have fun.

Here is my advice. 1st. With a new Saiga-12 rack the bolt back and forth about 125 to 150 times to start the break-in...it sounds stupid but it actually works. I did it for both of my Saiga-12s' on the advice of a gunsmith. You might want to wear a leather glove to protect your hand when you do this.

2nd. Although the #2 setting on the gas plug IS indeed meant for light shells(target/skeet/trap loads) , it is still better to use nothing less than #7 shot shells. Shot size has NOTHING to do with power, it's just the size of the pellets.

# 8 and #9 shot shells are really pushing it for a new Saiga-12. Be VERY careful to switch it back to the lower power #1 gas setting when going to buck shot, slugs, or shooting 3 inch magnum shells or the bolt/gas piston system might will beat in the back of your Saiga shot gun. Have fun.

Fixed it for ya!