Saiga-12 Wood Furniture

I just picked up my new Saiga-12 last week. I would like to put wood furniture on it with pistol grip. What manufacturer do you recommend for this? Was there any modifications needed to the gun or the parts to make them fit? How do you like it? Any pics?

Thanks,

Dan

rus military has a s12 fore end, convert the gun and use any wood pistol grip and any wood straight cut stock you want

Rusmil all the way

Img_0626.jpg

This is the exact kind of stock setup Im looking for. What color (Colour....wankers) set is this? They have "Dark Brown" listed on the site for the Saiga 12 laminated furniture set but the furniture set above it has some ugly green shit which is "Dark Brown" as well. Also did you incur any weird taxes/fees ordering from England? Ive never ordered anything online overseas before. http://www.rusmilitary.com/html/c-deact_furniture.htm

Img_0628.jpg

Img_0625.jpg

No there weren't any weird taxes or anything, actually there's a discount if you're outside the EU. Mine was the "plywood" set. They didn't call it dark oak though when I bought it. You just have to check back regularly for stock updates. They typically sell out fast.

They haven't been in stock since at least last summer. They may show up again. Or not. Yes it's beautiful but you can't get it. Not yours. You'd be better served looking at some of the domestic-made sets. Try timbersmith or ironwood designs.

I'm a little confused on which sizes of these can be ordered to fit my S12. (Thinking about putting wood on one of mine)

Which size and model rifle(s) matches up properly for the three wood components (buttstock, handguard and pistol grip)?? I'm thinking the handguard in particular might be different from most AK's to fit properly.

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Wood furniture is taking a big part in the human life style. Since a long time ago, we always put wood furniture in our home to make our home looks beautiful, but the important thing is having a lot of benefit to make our life more easily. Wood has been used world wide providing many types furniture, from chair to table, from desk to cupboard.hillsdale daybeds

the only thing worse than a spambot is a sarcastic spam bot... :ded:

I emailed RusMilitary the other day and the reply was that they weren't getting anymore of the laminated wood furniture for the S12 unless I was willing to pay 250 pounds per set. That's over $400+ U.S.

He said the "Russians raised the prices too high".

Id love to have a set but not for $400 per.

I was going to get another S12 and do it in wood. Now I'm seeing that might not be a possibility and I might do the one I already have in wood. Hope the S12's come back down to a more reasonable price and are continued to be allowed importation. I had the tang and back of my receiver cut and a adapter plate welded on. Not sure if I could even add a wood buttstock without some serious welding work.

Edited by xxINFIDELxx

How hard would it be with basic tools like saws, files, chisles, drill, etc to make the buttstock and forend? There is really beuatiful manzanita wood around my house that I have been thinking would look AWESOME but i've never tried anything like that before. I can almost gaurentee noone else in California has a Manzanita grain S12

Assumeing a fair level of competence and a few woodworking skills from the start, it should not be hard to take your factory stocks off, and use them as you process a wood blank into a stock to match the metal contact points, the areas outside the metal contact points can be any variation of size and shape to best suit you. Careful measurements, files, saws, chisles and a dremel should have you a functional stock at some point, speed of completion would be in direct relation to skill of the woodworker.

Just make sure you've properly dried the wood prior to working it into shape as green wood will shrink a bit over time as the sap dries and often this will cause splits in the wood or fractures at the seams of the natural woodgrain.

It'll be a project for most folks that will end in one of two ways.... eithor half finished... or rushed thru and look like a can of smashed assholes, for those with the skill and patience to finish it, with the basic woodworking knowledge to do it right, useing a properly preped blank of wood...it can produce jaw droping results.

Good luck with your project, take it slow, remove small bits of wood at a time, you can always remove more, but you can't glue it back on if you go too far.. measure often and/or try and fashion a jig to help you get it perfect on the metal contact points.

Might also research Kiln drying the wood, or tracking down someone on the web you could mail the blocks to that could pressure dry it and mail it back... drying under pressure tends to minimize stress fractures as the sap between the grain gets artifically dried much faster than it would naturally.

and pics... lots of pics =o)

Waylon

disclaimer : I myself have never made a gunstock from raw wood and these comments are based on my general knowledge of wood and woodworking as it relates to everything except gunstocks LOL... in my 40 years I've made alotta stuff outta wood some came out great, some, not so much... its the not so much's that you learn the most from :blink:

Some of the angles and cutouts would be hard to achieve without more specialized tools. Not to say it couldn't be done. But things like the channel on the buttstock that attaches to the rear tang would be tough to get right with a chisel and dremel.

Also, while I am no expert on the matter, my understanding is that manzanita is not especially good for this sort of thing. It would be hard to find a single piece of manzanita large enough to make a buttstock or handguard out of. Even granting that, it tends to have a lot of knots and voids in it and dries out to be pretty brittle.

Just my $0.02.

Edited by Mr. Nathan

I built a stock for my 308 out of madrone it is simmular to manzaneta. the first one broke right at the rear of the gun. you have to realy pay atention to the grain of the wood in that area. the second one turned out great but it cracked a little. from not drying properly.

there is a pic in the 308 picture thred page 8

Edited by deadeye

some of the online wood prep servives can do so in a pressure treated vat of polyresin and basicly impregnate the wood with a stabilizeing polymer.... aka they put plastic type varnish IN the wood, THEN cure it.. so the end result is very strong.

as to finding a chunk big enough.. look at plywood or some of the more exotic woods that they use for specialty products, knife handles, stuff... as long as you could get a naturally occureing chunk big enough to mill down and lamanate together you could make any size of wooden block you wanted... problem is, now your adding ALOT of headache and cost to a project that otherwise was pretty tough to start with... you'd almost just be better off buying a prefabbed wooden stock reguardless of the cost, or contracting someone that does work like this, is set up for it, and already has the tools and experience to make it right.

would look nice to have some of that dyed cocobolo wood cut into a stock, made of alternateing layers of camo colored wood... then have a pro camo duracoat done...

really starting to stretch practicality though, and for the cost, i'd just go black and chrome zombie killer special with billit bullet studs instead of rivets and spikes and ... zombie stuff... OCC meets Sons of Guns = Zombie Apocalypse style shotgun thats both functional and display worthy in an odd steampunk sort of way....

Strange things are afoot at CircleK,

Waylon

I had never done a gun stock before either.

I found that the most difficult part when doing mine was the fitting of the stock to the receiver. Of course, I had slant-cut my receiver to accommodate a custom thumbhole stock. I have a fairly well equipped shop but 75% of the work was done with hand tools (files, bastards, draw shaves, sandpaper) after the blank was fitted and inletted.

The blank was cut to rough size on the table saw and then cut to basic (oversized) shape on the band saw. Then all the shaping was done by hand.

For the hand guard, the inletting was hogged out to undersized dimension on the table saw, then finish sized and shaped on the drill press with a Forstner bit, with the drill press table set at a +/- 50 degree angle as the piece moved along the fence, to hog it to shape. After that it was all hand finished.

It is somewhat of an advanced project, and if I didn't want a truly custom firearm, I would not have put in the effort to accomplish it. However, since no "manufactured" stock set was available and suitable for what I wanted, I did it myself.

• Like 1

I built a stock for my 308 out of madrone it is simmular to manzaneta. the first one broke right at the rear of the gun. you have to realy pay atention to the grain of the wood in that area. the second one turned out great but it cracked a little. from not drying properly.

Madrone would also be a good choice, I asked about this on calguns also and someone else suggested madrone, I think it's a great idea. Manzanita grows plenty big out here to do the job, with bushes that grow up to 8 feet no problem with probably 10 inch diameter at the base. Madrone on the other hand would be EASY to find a suitable size peice. I like the idea of sending it off to be pressure treated, especially where they inject the plaistic-like material to strengthen it thats a great Idea, I wonder how much it would cost. I am farely capable with wood, and I think it would be a fun project, working with wood and tools is calming for me and a good stress reliever.

Wow, I saw your madrone stock in the .308 thread. That is BEAUUUUUTIFUL

Edited by chaseface
  • 2 months later...

Now that the wood has been returned to its original color, it's time to stain it. If the wood is cherry, mahogany, maple or a rare wood, you may want to just oil it to bring out the grain. If it's a light wood, such as beech, birch, poplar or pine, you may want to stain it. The same is true for oak, though it can also benefit from oil alone.

uniflame fireplace

Madrone would also be a good choice, I asked about this on calguns also and someone else suggested madrone, I think it's a great idea. Manzanita grows plenty big out here to do the job, with bushes that grow up to 8 feet no problem with probably 10 inch diameter at the base. Madrone on the other hand would be EASY to find a suitable size peice. I like the idea of sending it off to be pressure treated, especially where they inject the plaistic-like material to strengthen it thats a great Idea, I wonder how much it would cost. I am farely capable with wood, and I think it would be a fun project, working with wood and tools is calming for me and a good stress reliever.

Wow, I saw your madrone stock in the .308 thread. That is BEAUUUUUTIFUL

One of the best tools I have found for shaping and profiling is a 60 grit flapwheel for welding on a sidehead grinder. fast and controlable