Talk me out of an Arsenal 7.62

Well, I'm still in need of an AK rifle! I have two s12's now, and one draco (AK "pistol). Another draco on the way. But I somehow skipped the standard AK. The RIFLE !!

I was about to buy a cheap WASR from Atlantic (comes with bayonet and all). But then figured I should get something a little higher quality. And things kept pointing to Saiga. And then I started thinking about the Arsenal Saigas from K-Var (I did get my first S12 from them). Either the SGL21-61 http://www.k-var.com/shop/product.php?productid=17015&cat=353&page=1 for $799, or the SGL21-64 with upper lower handguard/rails, http://www.k-var.com/shop/product.php?productid=17022&cat=353&page=1 which brings it up to $905 .

I know, getting pricey for an AK. But i know I'd shoot it.

So talk me out of it guys. Or maybe just say go for it....Any opinions/comments/ suggestions? Should I just buy the stock model and do the conversion myself? I did my S12 and it wasn't that bad.

Thanks in advance...

It's all up to you. I bought and restored mine. If you don't have the time or tools, just get the Arsenal. Either way; it's a win / win scenario; you're still getting the best AK's on the planet from Mother Russia!! :super:

Well, I'm still in need of an AK rifle! I have two s12's now, and one draco (AK "pistol). Another draco on the way. But I somehow skipped the standard AK. The RIFLE !!

I was about to buy a cheap WASR from Atlantic (comes with bayonet and all). But then figured I should get something a little higher quality. And things kept pointing to Saiga. And then I started thinking about the Arsenal Saigas from K-Var (I did get my first S12 from them). Either the SGL21-61 http://www.k-var.com...&cat=353&page=1 for $799, or the SGL21-64 with upper lower handguard/rails, http://www.k-var.com...&cat=353&page=1 which brings it up to $905 .

I know, getting pricey for an AK. But i know I'd shoot it.

So talk me out of it guys. Or maybe just say go for it....Any opinions/comments/ suggestions? Should I just buy the stock model and do the conversion myself? I did my S12 and it wasn't that bad.

Thanks in advance...

I love mine, shoots dead on, never had a jam (other than one time when i managed to get a .22 spent casing inside the dust cover) and it's fun.. and who doesn't like to say that it's a real Russian Saiga :angel: top quality cosmetically too.

The only reason to not, is they just came out with the SGL-21-94 which has the side folding stock.

It is a little expensive, but as close as you can get to the real deal without a fun switch.

Any SGL is a very nice weapon IMHO!

http://www.k-var.com/shop/product.php?productid=17700&cat=353&page=1

Edited by BuffetDestroyer

Ive bought 2 Saiga IZ-132s and converted them both myself. Doing the conversion myself brought me alot of...pride or self satisfaction I guess you could say. But the more I look at Saigas, me personally I like the SGL 21-94's authentic AK look: real ak trigger guard, 100 series folding stock(poly or skeleton), lug on the GB and FSB, 1000m rear sight leaf, the finish is nicer, no ugly etching to cover up the former importers stamp and the trigger pull is smoother too. So no matter how fun it was to convert Saigas, If I could go back, Id save alot of $ if I had just bought an SGL. worth the $ imo. Which came out to $1223.30 after shipping and $1258.30 after transfer. Not too bad considering the Stock is $250 and its about $175+/- to have installed depending.

To sum up all my rambling, I agree with PA, I'd buy the SGL-21-94

post-24335-0-39299600-1305328232_thumb.jpg

post-24335-0-69118000-1305328244_thumb.jpg

Edited by AZG

I cant even start to talk you out of an SGL. I have one and would never turn back, nor would I ever let it go! ever!

You will not be disappointed at all. it IS a TOP of the line rifle. I can highly suggest the plum! GO PLUM you cant go wrong.

I know there is never a good enough reason to sell, but the other reason to go with an SGL is that they retain their value where a self done conversion will lose about half of what you have invested in parts. Even if the workmanship is top notch, it is not a known commodity like the Arsenal's are.

Thanks guys....very helpful...

I had seen the -94 with the folding stock. Thought too expensive. But now I need to think about that option in the mix too ......aaargh...

Well, I'll decide on something before too long. (hopefully, before whatever I decide on is sold out! Haha)

Cheers,

So why is the model with the folding stock (SGL21-94) so much more expensive ($400) than the standard model? Is it just the rareness of it? I'm having a little bit of a tough time justifying (to myself) spending the extra green just for a little bit extra coolness. I mean I do like the idea of a folding stock - I put one on my first S12 - but it adds 50% to the price of the gun...

Thoughts? (gonna "pull the trigger" on one of these pretty soon here)

Thanks!!!

There's quite a bit of extra labor that goes into installing an AK 100 series folder....removing the factory rear trunnion, cutting the receiver to spec, riveting in the new trunnion. And then you just add in the extra cost of the trunnion, folder, front latch (~250) and there's your extra cost.

I don't know what folder you put on your s12, but the AK 100 folder is worth every penny IMO. For some reason or another it is much more comfortable on my shoulder than the fixed 74 stock. I believe the angles are slightly different.

But then again, what's worth $$$ to me, most likely isn't worth it for others. For example, I have no problem paying $120 for S12 mags.

So why is the model with the folding stock (SGL21-94) so much more expensive ($400) than the standard model? Is it just the rareness of it? I'm having a little bit of a tough time justifying (to myself) spending the extra green just for a little bit extra coolness. I mean I do like the idea of a folding stock - I put one on my first S12 - but it adds 50% to the price of the gun...

Thoughts? (gonna "pull the trigger" on one of these pretty soon here)

Thanks!!!

There's quite a bit of extra labor that goes into installing an AK 100 series folder....removing the factory rear trunnion, cutting the receiver to spec, riveting in the new trunnion. And then you just add in the extra cost of the trunnion, folder, front latch (~250) and there's your extra cost.

I don't know what folder you put on your s12, but the AK 100 folder is worth every penny IMO. For some reason or another it is much more comfortable on my shoulder than the fixed 74 stock. I believe the angles are slightly different.

But then again, what's worth $$ to me, most likely isn't worth it for others. For example, I have no problem paying $120 for S12 mags.

Thanks! Yeah, I edited that last post as you were writing I guess, because I saw that AZG had explained the extra cost above (pretty much like you did). I guess it just costs more for some real reasons. And having it done properly will be cool. Definitely leaning towards this one!!! I appreciate all the feedback here. It really helps versus going in blind.

Trigger pulled. Ordered! Thanks again guys....(SGL21-94)

You wont be disappointed. I had all my saigas out last night and the SGL stood out as the highest quality firearm I own. I started comparing finishes and parts and the SGL21-94 won imbook hands down

Trigger pulled. Ordered! Thanks again guys....(SGL21-94)

You wont be disappointed. I had all my saigas out last night and the SGL stood out as the highest quality firearm I own. I started comparing finishes and parts and the SGL21-94 won imbook hands down

All this talking about SGLs I had to come straight home and pull that baby out too....Just to finger fu....her you get it.

I second that. You wont be let down. When you hold her you will know you are holding greatness.

Congrats.

Started off with a home converted Saiga and a standard one, sold both at a profit and purchased 2 SGL-21s. The wood furnished one for $550 and the synthetic one for $500, both slightly used all purchased this year. I would love to get one of the folding ones but don't know how I can get one in CA. If you can find a good priced Arsenal that's the way to go! Super accurate and great looking conversions.

f750059b.jpg

1fd51d92.jpg

cb05a531.jpg

ea326671.jpg

15d01bab-1.jpg

• Like 1

the only reason i have to buy an unconverted saiga and convert it over buying a SGL, is that saigas have full-auto bolts, and SGLs dont. I'm not trying to say anything, just throwing it out there :D

In the picture you see a SAIGA SGL and a non-SGL Saiga bolt.

Please point out the bolt that is full auto and why exactly?

28woxl3.jpg

Edited by my762buzz

the only reason i have to buy an unconverted saiga and convert it over buying a SGL, is that saigas have full-auto bolts, and SGLs dont. I'm not trying to say anything, just throwing it out there :D

And what do you base that information off of?