Are s12 supposed to cycle from the hip, or w stock folded?

My understanding is that certain hand guards can effect the way the recoil is transfered to the bolt carrier. Polishing seems like the shortest course, considering it cycled correctly to begin with. As far as cycling from the hip, it's kinda how i decied wether the gun is what i would call reliable. It should opperate correctly reguardless of how you hold it. In the heat of the moment you don't want to have to be checking your grip and posture before taking a shot. Ofcourse practice will help ensure that you do anyway, combined with a highly reliable weapon, your odds of sucess are greatly increased.

Are s12 supposed to cycle from the hip, or w stock folded?

Yes.

Thoughts? Polish everything?

My bet is that you didn't profile your hammer correctly.

I do that in GlassBolt & understand others do in their FCG services also.

You can try it with the old Russian hammer & see if it helps. If so, that's your issue.

An incorrectly profiled hammer is the #1 reason for uncovered warranty attempts according to Tom Cole of Cadiz from what I understand.

From what I hear, a really dirty gas system is close behind on the list.

mine will cycle 95% of the time one handed or fired from hip with federal bird shot with the occasional fail to extract if I really limp wrist the thing. I have the Tapco folder which is considered the cheapest least nice folder u can buy, my gun now runs shooting from shoulder 100%, and although MD plug, opening gas ports, polishing rails, and lubing correctly all helped me achieve reliability, but it wasn't 100% until I focused on my hammer, and the friction caused by bolt and bolt carrier rubbing against the hammer.

Like Pauly said, it wouldn't cycle this reliable until I really focused on polishing/profiling the hammer. This is a art in its own because a hammer that has to much metal taken off can cause worse problems.

Edited by Kalashnikov Kyle

Mine cycles from the hip....over my head...upside down, sideways homie style or whatever....lol.

haha sideways homie style got to try that one ;)

Also I believe in the MD gas plug to really get a feel on how your gun is cycling. 5 settings lets you fine tune the Saiga into a 1 handed from the hip firing machine.

For standard buck shot I use setting 3 at range but if I wanted extra one handed reliability at home I might set it to setting 4 or even 5 for my rem manged recoil 00 buck loads. I just picked up 250 rounds of them and my next range trip will probably consist of testing them in every sideways homie one handed style I can think of :)

My S-12 cycles whatever I feed her from any position, even "homie style", as Cobra mentioned. ^_^

Mine's a custom LSA gun, so everything's mirror polished and even with a shorter native barrel, she'll run all day with no FTF/FTE issues.

I have been using a modded factory plug, but I'm sick of having to use a tool to adjust, so for that reason alone I'll be picking up a MD V-Plug or a TAC47 autoplug, (haven't decided which yet).

Mine cycles from the hip....over my head...upside down, sideways homie style or whatever....lol.

Do you mean like this. don't forget to check out the second page. http://bbs.stardestr...=4&f=14&t=81902

Hi cobra do you like my new glasses???????

post-21226-0-65801500-1307860167_thumb.jpg

Edited by SCHULTZE
  • Like 1

I just hipfired 32 rounds with stock folded, using promag12 rd drum and md20. I did this as a test with remmington bulk, gunfixer plug on setting 2 with factory recoil spring. I am very confident in this gun and this is the first time I even tried bulk pack on anything but setting 3. I was using the MD booster puck. Thank you to everyone who contributes valuable info on this forum. My gun has 3 ports with one obstructed by GB and probably undersized. A couple years ago I found this site like most, because my new gun would not function properly. Now I would bet my life it will work everytime. So to answer the OP, yes, it is supposed to hipfire reliably.....when tuned and broken in. Thanks again to everyone who has helped me along the way.

Alright, thanks for all the replies guys! I assumed so, but my weak mind couldn't grasp the how's and why's.

So, where do I find info on profiling the hammer? Or is this info that y'all biz members don't give out? I read in some other posts about removing metal from the sides of the hammer (mine is russian factory part btw) is more important than the actual pin/hammer surface.

All in all this is a good saiga, smooth action (relatively speaking). Haven't knocked the gas block off yet (no need yet). It cycles most everything. I don't know if I have shot this one from the hip yet though. I just assumed they weren't supposed to work as none of them that I have touched recently do. Man I am a hack! My reasoning is that so much recoil force would get absorbed by your body causing the gun to short stroke. But thanks for clearing that up!

for cobra: fun starts at 9 or 10 seconds!

Edited by saltydecimator

It most likely will not cycle light loads from the hip without polishing the internals. Mine has been gone over with a fine toothed comb, and ALL areas of resistance removed from the equation. That's what I do. Mine also has never had the gas block removed or any port work done since what was done at the factory in 2000.I use only the factory gas plug as well. No need for all the after market stuff on the market if your gun is tuned to run like it should. I have a Tromix puck but only for compliance reasons. It's the closest to the factory puck, or at least was when I installed it several years ago.

• Like 1
So, where do I find info on profiling the hammer? Or is this info that y'all biz members don't give out?

Bolt reprofile/polish:

C&S Metall-Werkes.

Paulys Steelin.

Cobra Customs.

Do you mean like this. don't forget to check out the second page. http://bbs.stardestr...=4&f=14&t=81902

Hi cobra do you like my new glasses???????

post-21226-0-65801500-1307860167_thumb.jpg

My favorite pictures from that link are the guy in the life jacket, and the other guy running and shooting with the feather duster in the other hand :lolol:

i looked and couldnt find the info on bolt profiling. what thread is it in? the new users look here first?

Don't fuck with the feed foot (part that protrudes from the bolt face opposite of the extractor) or locking lugs.

Don't go further than the picture I first posted without a proper system of measurment.

Also, you said you are running a russian hammer... If so, don't remove steel from it.

The Tapcos need mods more than the russians because they're larger.

Here's that thread;

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?/topic/50571-how-do-i-polish-the-bolt/

• Like 1