I received my PRT91-KFM4Rs this week and I was able to do some ammo testing a the range today.

My rifles have serial numbers beyond 8000 so they have the new chamber design that is supposed to feed anything and for the most part, they do.

I took one of the rifles out of the case, mounted the Eotech and shot 140 rounds of South African with out a single issue.

Then I tried Winchester 308 and it would not even eject - WTF

After that I tried a variety of surplus and all of it cycle with zero issues.

It was a great day at the range. I only had about an hour so I couldn't zero the Eotech but I'll be able to do that next week.

I let a couple people shoot it and I think some of them might be ordering one tonight

Here's a picture of my newest twins. This is a picture of my rifles, this is not a stock photo.

KFM4R001.jpg

Edited by Boba Debt

Very, very nice. CONGRATS! A week ago I received a new PTR-32 KFR rifle from Atlantic Firearms. Immediately shipped the rifle's trigger pack off to Bill Springfield who reportedly does superlative work on these HK G3 clone type rifles' triggers. Picked up a Hensoldt ZF One surplus optic for mine. . . hoping to get the rifle out to the firing line next weekend, immediately after I receive its trigger pack back from Bill.

Edited by Gary

Very, very nice. CONGRATS! A week ago I received a new PTR-32 KFR rifle from Atlantic Firearms. Immediately shipped the rifle's trigger pack off to Bill Springfield who reportedly does superlative work on these HK G3 clone type rifles' triggers. Picked up a Hensoldt ZF One surplus optic for mine. . . hoping to get the rifle out to the firing line next weekend, immediately after I receive its trigger pack back from Bill.

Is a 32 basically the same as a 91 except for the chamber?

In other words, is the reciever, bolt, etc the same?

Is a 32 basically the same as a 91 except for the chamber?

In other words, is the receiver, bolt, etc the same?

Yes, everything about the two PTR rifles is identical, except the chambering (the 32 is of course 7.62x39mm) and that the 32 takes AK-47 magazines. Naturally, there exist differences between the rifles' model versions furniture set-ups, depending on which model a buyer goes with, but the base firearm is the same throughout. Yet since I do not own a PTR-91, this reply is based solely on what I've been able to research and read, vice first hand "in the flesh" experience.

Did your PTR91-KFM4R rifles come with the push-button magazine release? Or the paddle mag release lever? My PTR-32 has the paddle release lever. . . and the image you provide in your original post, indicates you have the push-button release.

Edited by Gary

Here are a few photos that I just took, of my PTR32, for your reference:

CIMG4644.jpg

CIMG4647.jpg

I didn't care for the hollow grip opening. . . so I came up with the following solution, using a HK grip plug (which does not fit into our PTR rifles' grip):

CIMG4646.jpg

. . . and I personally don't care for bird cage flash hiders in general, so I installed the PWS FSC91 muzzle device on my PTR32:

CIMG4650.jpg

:rolleyes:

I've got a few other things planned for my rifle: replacing the OEM aluminum forend with a HK93 wide forend handguard, and I'm going to try my hand at applying some Pachmayr rubber to the rifle's pistol grip. FWIW.

Boba, the reason the commercial stuff was having trouble ejecting was because the case walls are thinner and deform more in the fluted chamber. The worst case scenario is a case head separation. You need to run NATO headstamp, or equivalent, ammo in the rifle. Q3130 is acceptable, as is steel case Wolf, although the lacquer becomes an issue with the Wolf.

I do have a question though. What's up with the short mags? Is it genetics?

:lolol: . . . :lolol: . . . :lolol: . . . . (Should have figured such a response would come from you :haha: )

I currently have eight 30rnd Circle 10 Bulgarian magazines to go with my PTR32. The five-rounder waffle Bulgarian pictured, is used simply to keep the dust out of the action. . . and I bought it to shoot a few non-corrosive rounds through my rifle at the end of a firing session.

Nothing to do with "genentics." Besides, bigger is not always better (ergo my decision to go with the PTR32 versus the PTR91 :angel:).

FWIW, yesterday I received the new HK93 wide forend handguard which I had ordered just over a week ago (the HK93 handguards fit the PTR rifles that have 16" barrels, whereas the HK91 forend handguards are too long). Had to pull out the dremel tool with both grinding and sanding bits. . . and after about 2 hours of mod work out in my garage, success! The new HK wide handguard fits my PTR32 like a glove. I couldn't be happier. I'm going for a more classic HK G3 look for my rifle.

CIMG4666.jpg

Edited by Gary

I took both PTRs to the range today and shot a variety of ammo through them such as:

• Magtech Commercial 308
  • German MEN
  • South African
  • Portuguese

And a couple mags of unknown NATO rounds.

The guns functioned flawlessly without a single issue.

I am very happy with these rifles and I would recommend them to anyone

HOWEVER

I was able to dial in my EOTechs but I'm not real happy with the performance.

I have a thread about that here: http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?/topic/68035-eotech-expectations/

If these EOTechs are only good for 50-100 yards I'll probably ditch them and buy some decent scopes.

Got both. Yes I'm a weapons slut. :cryss: Been pleased with both. Dad has a original HK 91. Maybe different metal alloy, yet function, look, perform the same. Only few hundred rounds of nato surplus through PTR 91, no malfunctions after 1st mag. Got around 500 rds steel case through PTR 32. Same results after 1st mag. :smoke:

I usually don't crap on other people's posts about new toys but I positively despise HKs(formerly owned a large HK collection) and cannot for the life of me figure out why anyone who shoots a rifle from anything but a fixed prone position would ever want one.

I usually don't crap on other people's posts about new toys but I positively despise HKs(formerly owned a large HK collection) and cannot for the life of me figure out why anyone who shoots a rifle from anything but a fixed prone position would ever want one.

Although this is "splitting hairs". . . the PTR is a Heckler & Koch clone only; PTR rifles are less than half the price of their H&K counterpart.

Come'on SOPMOD, you come across as the type that enjoys crapping in other folks' threads, for why else make the statement that you have?

I took my PTR32 rifle out to the firing range over the weekend for its baptismal firing. . . and abso-friggen-lutely LOVED it! With Yugo ammo and shooting off a sandbag, my rifle gave consistent 2" groupings at 100 yards with its Hensoldt ZF Model One 4x24 optic. Yea. . . it's a bit of a heavy bugger as far as contemporary 16" barreled battle rifles go, but I have no intentions or plans to be humping it for miles on foot while carrying a ruck.

Maybe it's time for you to get a new life? :haha:

Edited by Gary

Although this is "splitting hairs". . . the PTR is a Heckler & Koch clone only; PTR rifles are less than half the price of their H&K counterpart.

Come'on SOPMOD, you come across as the type that enjoys crapping in other folks' threads, for why else make the statement that you have?

I took my PTR32 rifle out to the firing range over the weekend for its baptismal firing. . . and abso-friggen-lutely LOVED it! With Yugo ammo and shooting off a sandbag, my rifle gave consistent 2" groupings at 100 yards with its Hensoldt ZF Model One 4x24 optic. Yea. . . it's a bit of a heavy bugger as far as contemporary 16" barreled battle rifles go, but I have no intentions or plans to be humping it for miles on foot while carrying a ruck.

Maybe it's time for you to get a new life? :haha:

If I bother with shooting something with a 20/80 weight distribution it usually shoots way better than 2" groups and usually has a much better trigger to boot. never owned the PTR-91, shot a scoped,heavy barreled PTR-91 from a mat in the prone position and it was under 2" with milsurp but just like it's HK counterpart it was the slowest reloading, clumsiest and most goofy laid out mofo I ever shot.

It's gotta be marketing or some kind of implication of Teutonic Superiority that makes people want these rifle shaped turds because they are THE neo-nazi spergnerd rifle of the douchebag apocalypse in all of the ways that matter to a rifleman and none of those warts can be removed unlike an Saiga which merely needs a good crown and a set of decent sights to turkey stomp a mudhole in any HK or HK clone ever made for 1/2 the money!

Seriously I'd rather shoot an AR10 and overlube for reciever galling and replace semi disconnects every 3,000rds and have something that worked right and could be shot from the shoulder efficiently for more than 1 magazine than shoot a FREE PSG-1 HK. CETMEs are anachronistic turds left over from the WWI/II mentality of rifle companies setting up in positions to pick off unwary goons walking across open fields. Those of us who shoot standing up and move after we take our shots to avoid being picked off by return fire pick up an HK and cringe at it's primitive controls and shitty ergonomics. An RPK capable of limited sustained fire with a huge super heavy barrel is as well balanced as a standard taper HK91/G3 and will hold tiny groups until some teenaged conscript stands on the trigger and wears 1/4 of the rifling out of it.

The CETME system is the failed leftovers of a failed military culture from 70 years ago and repackaging it with cool looking plastic furniture and red and white paint on the receiver markings is just so much "fool stuffing" for the amateurs to whack off to in their basements.

Edited by SOPMOD
  • Like 1

Wow Sop. Why don't you tell us how you really feel! :D

Did I just NUKE the site from orbit? I have the day off with my wife and have been drinking and screwing around all day so maybe I am a little overboard on the comfort level for some long overdue self expression.

If so I am sorry but after owning $18,000 worth of HK shit and selling it for nearly $52,000 I have to do the young brothers a favor by stating my disgust with this "gay as brokeback mountain" weapon system before any of them waste their hard earned money on such "Fool Stuffing"!

Edited by SOPMOD
  • Like 1

Wow. . . . :lolol:

Okay, I get it! You absolutely HATE and abhor HKs (their rifles anyway). I think you made that superlatively clear and I dare say your feelings and assessments will leave an indelable mark on all those that read your opinions on this topic.

:angel:

post-3915-0-13145000-1308710973_thumb.jpg

To each their own. I've had mine since 1994 and have enjoyed it. I know you and Tony Rumore don't care for the PSG-1 H.K.'s and I can appreciate that. I can assure you that it is not "THE neo-nazi spergnerd rifle of the douchebag apocalypse". It is part of a collection. You remember those, you had one. Don't shit in my mess kit because you don't approve. Heavy? Yea. Accurate? It is for me. Expensive? Yea. For everyone? No. Go shoot your irons and be happy.

edit to add: This is an HK91 and not a PTR91.

Edited by 1911
  • Like 1

The following may be of interest to PTR Rifle owners that have the mag paddle release lever on their rifle:

I feel that I was successful with modifying the RAM S12XC extended magazine release to fit my PTR32. Due to the configuration of the rifle's OEM mag release lever/paddle, it simply cannot be removed (least wise, I couldn't figure out how to remove it. . . it's essentially welded into place). After several hours at my work bench in my garage, dremel cutting, filing and sanding. . . I was able to alter the RAM S12XC part to slip on top of the mag paddle. Interestingly, the inside dimensions (width) of the U/square shape almost matched ideally to the PTR's release paddle width; only the smallest amount of filing had to be done to get the part to slip down on top of the paddle.

After modifying the part to fit I proceeded to dip the extended mag release's finger tabs several times into Plasti-Dip, and I was pleasantly surprised with the results (personally having never used Plasti-Dip before). I decided to go with about four dipping sessions using Plasti-Dip (following the wait period between dips, per its instructions), and allowed the part to fully dry overnight.

s12xc_1.jpg

CIMG4675.jpg

CIMG4680.jpg

Alas, this mod project was just a trial run test fit (although I'd be fibbing if I conveyed that I didn't hope to get it perfect the first time around). Hindsight being what it is. . . and my personal demon of wanting perfection. . . I've ordered another RAM S12XC extended magazine release and intend to slightly alter its alignment on my PTR's mag paddle: I want the extended finger tabs a little further downward and more out of the way of the trigger well. Additionally, when I modify the second RAM S12XC extended magazine release part, the last thing that I'll do is somewhat file-down the screw's head to give the overall appearance a better finished look. I'll also be going with a smaller screw size, and I'll likely use two machine screws instead of just one.

I can't see how someone can hate on HKs, and their "actions from a failed wartime culture" or whatever, then

go rubbing one out over Saigas, coming from AK actions, which were not from a failed wartime culture, or whatever.

Oh, wait.....

You can't espouse ergonomic controls and love the AK safety in the same breath, you know.

I state that the safety and action lever of the G3 and its derivatives is more ergonomically advanced

than the AK action because one can keep their shooting hand on the pistol grip while hitting the safety

and hitting the action handle on the G3, and not on the AK.

And, I call bullshit on a Saiga keeping up with an HK.

Lastly, the USP is sex on a fucking stick.

For what these H&K clone rifles cost, I'd much rather have a custom Red Jacket S-308 build. Considering the Saiga will eat any and all .308 without complaint, (unlike the PTRs), and the mag release is as quick and easy as any other Kalashnikov, (not to mention all the other general AK parts you can use on em), I think they're superior rifles.

Hell, I can think of several .308 rifles I'd rather own once we're in the ~$1100+ price range, e.g. AR-10s, M1As, etc.

ymmv, but these PTRs just don't impress me, at all.

Edited by post-apocalyptic

For what these H&K clone rifles cost, I'd much rather have a custom Red Jacket S-308 build. Considering the Saiga will eat any and all .308 without complaint, (unlike the PTRs), and the mag release is as quick and easy as any other Kalashnikov, (not to mention all the other general AK parts you can use on em), I think they're superior rifles.

Hell, I can think of several .308 rifles I'd rather own once we're in the ~$1100+ price range, e.g. AR-10s, M1As, etc.

A PTR-91 isn’t a clone. It's an American made G3.

And both of mine seem to eat anything I can feed them. The first day I had issues with Winchester White Box 308 but since then I have shot at least 8 different types of ammo through it and have not had a single issue.

Edited by Boba Debt

A PTR-91 isn’t a clone. It's an American made G3.

And both of mine seem to eat anything I can feed them. The first day I had issues with Winchester White Box 308 but since then I have shot at least 8 different types of ammo through it and have not had a single issue.

So they can fire mags of alternating brass and steel-cased ammo without a hiccup?

Heh, j/k, I s'pose most .308's outside of Saigas wouldn't pass that completely arbitrary test.

I'm glad you like your rifles man, but at that price point they just don't impress me, (I'm not generally a fan of ~16" barrelled .308 rifles regardless).

To each his own. I'll stop shitting in your thread now. :D

Oh, btw, this eve (predictably) my 22" barrelled S-308 passed the brass/steel/brass/etc test, (csspecs 20-rnd steel mag), with flying colors. I used Lake City tracers for the brass, Brown Bear FMJ for the steel. Smackin the steel at 200 yrds, (using the crap factory irons), with red fireballs was more than a little fun. :smoke: