I got rid of my S308 and bought a PTR because I wanted a decent .308 battle rifle that would shoot straight and used cheap mags. I've been much happier with the PTR than my Saiga, the sights are better, the trigger is better, the mags are cheap and readily available, as well as every other part I could ever need.

I got rid of my S308 and bought a PTR because I wanted a decent .308 battle rifle that would shoot straight and used cheap mags. I've been much happier with the PTR than my Saiga, the sights are better, the trigger is better, the mags are cheap and readily available, as well as every other part I could ever need.

Huh.. guess ya had a "bad" S-308. :unsure: Did yours have the 16" barrel?

Mentioning the factory irons and trigger, (or furniture etc), as a strike against the Saiga and an advantage of the PTR isn't really a valid point as we all know how easily those are replaced on a Kalashnikov. ^_^

As for the mags.. quality S-308 mags, (steel and Izzy 8/10's), aren't that expensive and csspecs is working on new designs that will be both lighter and cheaper.

Regardless, to each his own, but I can't let ya get away with dismissively saying that S-308s won't "shoot straight" and implying that one must use the factory irons/trigger etc. ;)

No, 22" barrel, choate stock, and dinzag s308 trigger, with posp 8x optics. I just didn't like the way it shot, and wanted surplus quality mags with a decent capacity, and didn't want to pay $50 a pop for decent steel mags. I've got no complaints about the ptr, thus far, much happier than the saiga. I can pay more up front for the gun and get cheap mags, or pay less for the gun and make up the difference paying out the ass for mags.

No, 22" barrel, choate stock, and dinzag s308 trigger, with posp 8x optics. I just didn't like the way it shot, and wanted surplus quality mags with a decent capacity, and didn't want to pay $50 a pop for decent steel mags. I've got no complaints about the ptr, thus far, much happier than the saiga. I can pay more up front for the gun and get cheap mags, or pay less for the gun and make up the difference paying out the ass for mags.

Well, as I said, to each his own. I like the way my S-308 shoots, and will like it even more once I change the stock, cut/crown the barrel to ~19", thread and install a compensator. I like the Saiga .308 for a lot of the same reasons I like my other Kalashnikovs; you have a shitload of options, (and legendary reliability). :smoke: But they're your guns, so I'm glad you're happy with your decision. :D

$50? I only paid $45 apiece, (free shipping), for the csspecs 20-rnders I bought.

Anyway, don't forget that while mags for the PTR may be cheaper, ammo that's reliable in the rifle is more expensive. ;)

post-apocalyptic:

If you go back an re-read your posts, they seem to carry the following message. "I made a different choice than you and I think it is a better choice. Your choice sucks because of a, b, and c. You need to be unhappy with your choice and tell me that I am smarter than anyone who chooses differently. I don't own a PTR91 but I really like what I chose so much better."

Are you seeking approval of your choice or is your goal to try an make everyone else unhappy with theirs? Normally you make a statement and let it stand, Just wondering.

• Like 1

Anyway, don't forget that while mags for the PTR may be cheaper, ammo that's reliable in the rifle is more expensive. ;)

So far both of my PTRs have cycled everthing I put into them except Winchester WB, it would not cycle that on the first day, I may try it again.

I'm assuming the PTR has a fluted chamber so with less surface area I'd think extraction should be fine. My reworked 93 clone eats everything I feed it and loves the cheap steel case stuff. I don't think the HK platform is the end all, but the delayed roller blow back design is kind of cool and has a unique feel. They are heavy, the triggers do suck (and I had mine tweeked), the safety and innitial charging of the weapon is kind of a pain in the ass but I really like the way my .223 version shoots from the bench so I could only imagine the .308 would be just as fun. It may not be an AR10, but who ever said you were limited to one choice in life ( ; Enjoy

post-apocalyptic:

If you go back an re-read your posts, they seem to carry the following message. "I made a different choice than you and I think it is a better choice. Your choice sucks because of a, b, and c. You need to be unhappy with your choice and tell me that I am smarter than anyone who chooses differently. I don't own a PTR91 but I really like what I chose so much better."

Are you seeking approval of your choice or is your goal to try an make everyone else unhappy with theirs? Normally you make a statement and let it stand, Just wondering.

Nah man, he just seems to have a bad case of Saiga worship, like too many people here do. It's another example of brand fanboyism.

I mean, I like the AK and the Saiga platform, but it's not my only shotgun. It didn't even come with me for home defense while living

out of state in an apartment for work, another shotgun did.

While the AK action is great, and the Saiga, to me, is the best box mag fed shotgun, I wouldn't go to a Saiga or an AK action for

any Western rifle cartridge, as there are better options. But, to others, the Saiga provided security for building the pyramids, conquered

all for Caesar, and liberated Europe from Hitler.

So far both of my PTRs have cycled everthing I put into them except Winchester WB, it would not cycle that on the first day, I may try it again.

Your locking piece and rollers might be a little steep if the WIN WB is under powered. You should be able to buy a surplus G3 locking piece and rollers for pocket change if it doesn't eventually work istelf out on the cheap stuff.

I had an HK91 converted by Vollmer to a G3K clone that refused to cycle with anything that wasn't plenty hot.I put an ancient bolt,rollers and locking piece from a G3 parts kit and viola! Cheap stuff worked fine.

post-apocalyptic:

Ya know, I thought about what you mention; basically shitting on another guy's thread who's happy with his rifles, and I chose to post what I did. But I think my position's been made more than clear at this point, (I'd buy an AR-10 over the PTR91 any day of the week :angel: ), so I'll not further shit on Boba's thread.

Basically: you're right, and I'm through recommending other rifles over the OP's.

Fair 'nuff?

post-apocalyptic:

Nah man, he just seems to have a bad case of Saiga worship, like too many people here do. It's another example of brand fanboyism...

"Saiga worship"..."another example of brand fanboyism"... the fuck you think you are, man? Have you not read the title of the fucking forum?! :lol:

...I mean, I like the AK and the Saiga platform, but it's not my only shotgun. It didn't even come with me for home defense while living

out of state in an apartment for work, another shotgun did...

Imo, preference for Kalashnikov pattern long guns is just basic common sense, except for specialized roles, (law fucks ya or you're entering benched rifle accuracy competitions).

My S-12 isn't my only shotgun, either. I actually keep my Winchester 1300 Defender closest to hand at home... just because it's so fucking simple, and would look far more innocuous in a courtroom, (should it ever come to that).

The ONLY thing I ABSOLUTELY HATE about the PTR91 et al... IS their fluted chamber...

I see SO MUCH awesome, shiny, reloadable brass in the .308 caliber with GODDAMNED STRIPES at the range... They are a BASTAGE to run through the resizing die... and then chamber hard in the rifle after THAT... But THEN they chamber and resize just FINE... :lol::up: LOL...

So what was the point of the fluted chamber anyways??? To piss off and take a big shit on reloaders????

Thats the only thing I can think of...

:smoke:

Without the flutes the rim will get ripped off the catridge as the HK bolt tries to extract the cartidge the moment after it is fired. The pressure inside the cartridge causes it to expand and grip the sides of the chamber - HARD, the flutes allow gas to pass around the outside of the cartridge and equalize the cartidge's internal pressure and as such make a very small gas layer around the cartridge thus allowing the bolt to pull the cartidge out easily.

As the bolt head is driven rearward, rollers on the sides of the bolt are driven inward against a tapered bolt carrier extension. This forces the bolt carrier rearward at a much greater velocity and delays movement of the bolt head. The primary advantage of roller-delayed blowback is the simplicity of the design compared to gas or recoil operation

*from various other site

Without the flutes the rim will get ripped off the catridge as the HK bolt tries to extract the cartidge the moment after it is fired. The pressure inside the cartridge causes it to expand and grip the sides of the chamber - HARD, the flutes allow gas to pass around the outside of the cartridge and equalize the cartidge's internal pressure and as such make a very small gas layer around the cartridge thus allowing the bolt to pull the cartidge out easily.

As the bolt head is driven rearward, rollers on the sides of the bolt are driven inward against a tapered bolt carrier extension. This forces the bolt carrier rearward at a much greater velocity and delays movement of the bolt head. The primary advantage of roller-delayed blowback is the simplicity of the design compared to gas or recoil operation

*from various other site

25+ years ago when I 1st fired an HK in .308, was amazed at lack of recoil. Had only fired bolt actions and a standard M1A at the time in .308. Was lucky for while, stationed at a location where the armory had about every nation's issue weapons. On Sunday mornings allowed to check out and range use. Push by officers at time to get knowledge/use of weapons of friend and foe. :smoke:

Most of the ammo I buy has Berdan primers which I thought coud not be re-loaded

that is true... berdan primed brass is a whore to reload.

but when folks shoot boxer primed, reloadable stuff... thats reloadable.

:smoke: