Hey if you really want to get a scale that will have multiple uses (or you may already have one...), I use a hanging fish scale for weighing guns, and also works well for measuring the pull weight on triggers. Couldn't find a link to the one I have (made by Cardoza...) but it's a lot like this one.

http://balance.balances.com/scales/1306

Has a sliding piece that measures the max weight and stays there.

Once again, NICE build. :devil:

FISH SCALE!! pure win sir... pure win... added to list of stuff to grab at waldomert next time I break down and have to step foot in it LOL.

spent the day running around Dallas looking for a place to get old school shellac flakes in orange for my PSL refinish project... going with the Rhineland SVD setup in Tiger Maple... trying to end up with that " not quite russian red, not quite NOT russian red " burnt orange with the deep luster you see occasionally but not often... Its been... tricky to reproduce thus far. If I get the stain color right, it deforms when I seal and clear coat it with poly or tung oil... I think I'm gonna end up pouring the orange shellac into a glass bottom jar and view the stained wood thru it prior to decideing I have it right... just can't find the damn orange shellac flakes LOL

also wondering how much the base color difference in woods is effecting the end result, I'm useing white pine... the snow whitest I could find, bought a 2x4 and cut it into 6x4 inch test blocks... the white wood is close to the maple, not QUITE as light but close nuff for gubment work... but the pine density is different so its not gonna take the stain the same.. may throw off end color. I got 1 test block with the stock, gonna end up likely useing both sides and sanding stain off a time or two before I get what I'm looking for down perfect.

Jesus, how do we get involved in these projects? LOL they are guns for chrissakes... I'm stressing over this PSL stock like its a million dollar antique desk! most folks.. buy guns, shoot em on occasion.. rarely mod what they own... just see em as tools to do a job. Then theres those of us... who live for their guns.. who's collections will never be finished... and who'll never likely own anything " stock ", at least not for long LOL The folks on this forum fall into the latter group... last of the shootists, Those who enjoy their firearms equally at the range and at home... cleaning, tinkering, moding... I wouldn't have it any other way!!

• Like 2

aye Boss, the stock is Tiger Maple... I'm just useing the white pine as a test bed for stain and varnish colors to find exactly the right mix before I start coloring the actual Maple stock set. Its about to have me beat though LOL... I can get it THAT CLOSE... but not 100% perfect... ugh...

aye Boss, the stock is Tiger Maple... I'm just useing the white pine as a test bed for stain and varnish colors to find exactly the right mix before I start coloring the actual Maple stock set. Its about to have me beat though LOL... I can get it THAT CLOSE... but not 100% perfect... ugh...

You won't get a test color match unless you use the same wood that is used for the finished product. Even using the same test wood, unless it is sanded as smooth as the piece itself, will not give the same color match.

• Like 1

Thanks Jay! you do good work man... you and Michael deserve as much credit as me for this one.

Folks, let me tell you a little story, a story of a man with a dream!

I had been struggleing with exactly how to pull off my conversion for awhile... this sight helped a ton in my decideing what to do.. and what not to do. Earily on I figured out I was going to have a Fuglystick on my gun, I just love the looks of em.

Tracked down Jay at Fuglystick ( for those who don't know, Jay IS Fuglystick ) shot him an email with what I wanted to pull off, we went back and forth over a few details.. and Bam, the man gets to work. Not long after, I get an email with pics of the guard, well, A guard.. it was close, but not exactly what I had in mind and with the addition of non stock parts from the conversion, portions of it wouldnt fit my gun right. I discussed this with Jay and asked if he could make a few tweeks to it, to my suprise rathor than alter the existing guard, he starts anew with a fresh can of badass and a can do mentality..

Please also understand this man makes these pieces by hand in his nights and weekends off from his real job... hand crafted perfection.

well a week later I get pics of the NEW guard.... and its dead on perfect! sign off on the move ahead, and it gets all the secret bits worked in, finished in black, and mailed out.. now... this is TWO guards the man has made so far to get this gun done, mails it out, and won't even let me pay him till its mounted ON the gun and I'm 100% satisfied with the fit form and function... THE MAN WON'T EVEN LET ME PAY HIM till he has me 110% happy!!

I can't speak highly enough for Jay, and the same goes for Michael at Alumilight who also does a FANTASTIC job reasonably priced and with a hell of alot more customer care than I've seen from any buisness in 40 years.

Jay-Fuglystick

Michael-Alumalight

Greg-CSS

We say it alot, and so it means less as the days pass.... but ladies and gentlemen, these guys are GTG....GTG indeed :super:

Datrowl,

The gun looks SICK!!! I love the forward grip and pistol grip symmetry, the shrouds look crazy, I LOVE EM'!!!! The stock, well I would have chosen another stock, but its not my gun, and yours is better than mine... Congrats on your build, I like it a lot.

BUMP for a unique S12, that is SICKER than most on this forum!!!

Edited by RGVBadBoy

email him at Fuglystick@hotmail.com or if i'm oversteping my bounds by posting his email, mods please delete and send me a PM if your interested in the contact info.

can also search fuglystick on Google and get the websight which has a direct email system to him built in.

Edited by datrowl
  • 1 year later...