Fishing... I know some of you guys love it...

here is the problem here......and mind you, i am fr0om the country....

the water, you cant see 4 inches into it, from tannite or "rust"./

i cant use a wet fly here at ALL, and hve to use a dry fly because of it.....

er i dunno? .....????? Ill run flies on the fly rod ALL DAY. but they just wont bite inthis dark water.....has to be a dry fly, not a wet fly.......i can catch sunfish all day up north on wet flies.....it dont work down here....

jerkbaits and lures....

mr bass is in the house. and im gonna catch his ass....

Edited by Ben Vampatella

Fishing, and particularly fly fishing, feeds one of our most basic of human needs, that is, the need to find really great bargains. And I say that, knowing I'm speaking to folks who frequent gun shows and flea markets and suchlike. For most of my gear has been bought over many years at yard sales, flea markets and so forth. Truth of the matter is, a neophyte fly fisherman will invest in at least a minimal amount of gear, rod and reel, maybe a vest, and lots of poppers and flies...and when he finds it isn't a skill that is learned in a few minutes, his gear hits the bargain table at his next yard sale. Shucks, lots of the gear I have was given to me, by people who couldn't be bothered to put in the requisite time to learn the craft.

And bargains? I gave ten bucks for my latest ORVIS 'Madison' reel. The reel appears brand new, but the box is old enough it has faded to an old looking tan color. I have on my dining room wall (next to the picture of me on my Kawasaki Concours motorcycle on the 'Tail of the Dragon' three years ago), a card of over 100 chinese made poppers in 7 colors and 3 sizes. I paid 20 bucks for the card at a local flea market. That is matched by a single size 12 BETTS 'Fat Gnat' popper, still in original packaging with the copywrite date of 1971 on it. Cost me a quarter last summer.

I see fly fishermen giving advice to newbies about the gear they should buy to begin catching whoppers. And invariably, they suggest 100 dollar rods and 100 dollar reels, and 40 dollar lines and so forth. Shucks, why not give 20 bucks at Wal-Mart for the Shakespeare pre-packaged fly rod and reel combo, which comes with line, leader and flies, all ready to hit the water? That cheap outfit is all that is needed to prove that fly fishing is great fun and truly productive. A person can upgrade to the expensive stuff as time passes and skill increases. Truth is, fly fishing equipment is so slow to sell around here, that I bought 4 of those outfits last spring on the 'specials' table Wal-Mart, and gave 4 bucks a piece for them. They were originally priced at $19.95. I gave 8 bucks apiece a few weeks later at another Wal-Mart, for three of them. I give them away to folks who evince a desire to learn how to flyfish.

And finally, a quick casting tutorial. First and foremost, remember you aren't casting your lure, that is, your popper or fly. You're casting the fly line, which carries the lure. So that requires a different manner of casting. Here's an easy to learn method. Strip out in front of you, several feet of line and leader (with dud lure attached) and holding your rod parallel with the ground or water, quickly do two things things simultaneously. One, with the left hand, give a quick, short jerk of the line toward you, while snapping the rod straight upward. Don't use your shoulder, but rather your wrist and elbow. Count 1, when you begin this backcast, as in about one second. Count 2, and stop the backcast when the rod has reached about 1:00 oclock above and slightly behind your head, Then, count 3, as you snap the rod forward again and allow the line to settle into the water. This 3 second approach, counting as you would count time, keeps you from thrashing your line aimlessly and ineffectively about your head, as I see most untutored beginners do. The counting allows the line time to do it's thing. In other words, the one second between 2 and 3 lets the line run out behind you, so that it will load the rod properly for the forward cast.

On your forward case, and simultaneous with it, strip off some more line from the reel and let it flow through your left hand, increasing the distance of your cast. On your next uptake or backcast, remember to give that short jerk of the line with your left hand to bring it back and shorten the load. Remember to load your rod with a sharp snap as you begin your cast, for it is the loaded rod that is giving the line the impetus it needs to behave properly.

And practice makes perfect, and yes, equipment does make a difference. With a number 7/8, eight and one half foot long flyrod, one can learn to cast near to 75 feet. And you can certainly practice in your yard ('lawn' to you yankees and cityslickers). I've mentioned above having modified carbon fiber or fiberglass crappie rods for fly fishing. In lengths of up to 11 feet, and given a moderate stiffness, I can pass 75 feet with fair ease (I know I'll never be a great caster, but in this area, 75 foot casts are a plenty).

I urge anyone who enjoys fishing, and has a bent toward thinking, tinkering and innovation, to give fly fishing shot. There is after all, a reason fly fishermen are held in such high regard and esteem in the outdoor sporting world. And why of course, at the same time, they begin to take unto themselves a rather pronounced bit of totally justified snobbishness that only serves to increase the enjoyment.

'

And for fun reading, check out Issac Walton's THE COMPLEAT ANGLER, which might be called the flyfishermen's bible. Might even be able to google it....

Indy- you mentioned the finger lakes? Ever make it to Cayuga? Most of my extended family live between Ithica and Berkshire, so we usually meet up at the Taughannok park and fish Cayuga lake for a week in the summer. Most relaxing place I have ever been on this earth.

Hell... I live about 2 miles from the village of cayuga, and only a mile or so from the lake itself... That and the seneca river off the north end of Cayuga is my primary fishing locale!!!

I have fished toughannock many times!!! Caught some real sweet browns and rainbow in the mouth of the Toughannock creek...

Send me a PM when you are going to be in town... maybe we can get together for a few cold ones. :up:

:smoke:

I love to fish but I have no Fing clue what I'm doing. I'd tell you all about some grandiose fish that I caught that was so heavy it pulled me in to the lake/river but the truth is I barely catch anything over a foot except for catfish :lolol:

I too go with the rod and reel combo and some store bought lures/bait.

Fishing inshore Florida, I've collected a wide variety of gear. My go-to rod and reel for general purpose work would probably be a Penn 4300SS spooled with 8lb line on a Redbone rod. I've caught everything from pinfish for bait to a nine pound snook with this little outfit. Tackle ranges from that light set-up, through heavier spinning and casting gear all the way up to a Penn 60 spooled with 50lb line on a meatstick of a rod for soaking aforementioned pinners under a bridge. I've hooked stuff on the heavy gear that I couldn't keep out of the pilings. Big snook, tarpon or jewfish, perhaps.

This one went 16 pounds.

unledtu.jpg

Edited by jswledhed

Wow man nice lures. :smoke:

Tying flies and making plugs, poppers, and salt water rigs goes way back there in my family tree.

Kudos!

:super:

Why thank 'ya, sir! :D

Indy- you mentioned the finger lakes? Ever make it to Cayuga? Most of my extended family live between Ithica and Berkshire, so we usually meet up at the Taughannok park and fish Cayuga lake for a week in the summer. Most relaxing place I have ever been on this earth.

Hell... I live about 2 miles from the village of cayuga, and only a mile or so from the lake itself... That and the seneca river off the north end of Cayuga is my primary fishing locale!!!

I have fished toughannock many times!!! Caught some real sweet browns and rainbow in the mouth of the Toughannock creek...

Send me a PM when you are going to be in town... maybe we can get together for a few cold ones. :up:

Damn, it's a tiny little world! Normally I'd actually be there right now, but my folks went to the opposite coast to visit my sister so I'm stuck house-sitting! :(

From what I heard this spring, you guys were just about underwater though! My uncle rents a slip at the park's marina and he said he couldn't even fit under the bridge to get out.

Man, I'm missing that place like hell right about now...

post-32852-0-74267500-1310098395_thumb.jpg

Hopefully next year, though!

wow... yeah... The river system was about 7 feet higher than normal level... it really screwed a lot of river folks places up. Its all back to LOW levels now... but it was bad for a bit. Thankfully I am no where near flood level... so I dont have to worry. I DO feel bad for them river folks that are, though...

Fishing inshore Florida, I've collected a wide variety of gear. My go-to rod and reel for general purpose work would probably be a Penn 4300SS spooled with 8lb line on a Redbone rod. I've caught everything from pinfish for bait to a nine pound snook with this little outfit. Tackle ranges from that light set-up, through heavier spinning and casting gear all the way up to a Penn 60 spooled with 50lb line on a meatstick of a rod for soaking aforementioned pinners under a bridge. I've hooked stuff on the heavy gear that I couldn't keep out of the pilings. Big snook, tarpon or jewfish, perhaps.

This one went 16 pounds.

unledtu.jpg

That's a nice snook. I wish we saw more of them on our coast line here in Texas.

I eat and breath fishing. I fish everyday before work at my local river. I mostly do inshore fishing on our Texas coast though. I love fishing for trout and redfish, hence my name. I fish from a kayak and fish every tournament I can. I had to take 3 years off from it but this year I am going strong.

I love Penn and Quantum reels. I wont own anything else. I love G.Loomis, and TFO Rods. Fishing is more than just a hobbie for me. Its a way of life for me. It's who I am. Good to see others here who love it also. Oh and thank God for the good woman in my life that never complains about me fishing. Not once.

I would love to own some G. Loomis rods... but like guns and optics... its hard for me to justify spending 3 or 4 hundred on something I can get for 100 that works almost as good for me. LOL

I would almost be afraid to USE a Loomis rod for fear I would scratch it or bust it... go figure...

I would love to own some G. Loomis rods... but like guns and optics... its hard for me to justify spending 3 or 4 hundred on something I can get for 100 that works almost as good for me. LOL

I would almost be afraid to USE a Loomis rod for fear I would scratch it or bust it... go figure...

Indy I agree 100%. It's hard to justify the cost and it took me a long time to finally try one out. I didn't think it would make that big of a difference, but let me tell you it's hard to fish anything else. I have quit buying the G. Loomis rods and buy nothing but the Temple Fork Outfitter rods. Gary Loomis sold G. Loomis a while ago, but he designed all of TFO spinning and casting rods, using his blanks. Best thing is...they are only $99.95 at Bass Pro. They aren't as pretty as his other rods, but they ain't ugly either. They are awesome rods and I highly recommend them. They have a fresh and salt series. Check them out. I have only fished them for a year but they are tough. I talked to the owner at TFO before I purchased any rods and he said they have a no question warranty. If you break it just send it back with 40 bucks and get a new rod. Any factory defect yields a new rod for free. Pretty cool deal. Anyway just thought I would share. Good fishing to you.

RF

Edited by redfish28

Actually, I beg to differ... I have had SEVERAL days fishing that I would have GLADLY and CHEERFULLY traded for a day at work... Although I just happen to not only *LOVE* my job... but I have probably the BEST job in the whole place... Its so nice, that somedays when I have vacation scheduled, I go in to work ANYWAYS... and keep the vacation for some other time, because I just "didnt feel like being on vacation that day. and being at work was a better option"...

How do ya like THEM apples?!?!?! :P

Oh... the days fishing?? Trout fishing in a stream... with a COLD miserable DRENCHING rain pouring down on us SO HARD you could not see 20 feet away... The ONLY thing actually DRY on me was my SOCKS!!!! I was so wet, it soaked my shirt all the way through my waders down to my pants... And did not catch ANYTHING!!!!! NO FUN!!!!!

The other one, was in the boat out on the lake... raining about the same amount... and add lightning and thunder going on all around with us racing full speed to take shelter under a STEEL BRIDGE!!!!! AND GUESS WHAT?!?!?!? DID NOT CATCH ANYTHING THAT TIME EITHER!!!!! MORE NO FUN!!!!!

So... Yeah... not fun... I would have CERTAINLY rather have been at work BOTH days...

We used to make "Silver sparkling green-tail" lures. guaranteed to catch EVERYTHING within about 20 feet of them when tossed into the water.

They were empty CO2 cartridges with the ends drilled out a little bit. filled with black style powder and a green cannon fuse inserted, then sealed with RTV silicone.

Unfortunately... we DO NOT make them anymore... cause the fucking asinine, CHICKENSHIT liberal afraid of EVERYTHING, cowardly, no nut-sack having pussies that live in this country would think you a fucking "terrorist with a bomb", and not just a good ol' boy going fishing.

Makes me sad... the state of this ONCE FINE nation... is nothing more now than a soggy shit sandwich...

We used to make "Silver sparkling green-tail" lures. guaranteed to catch EVERYTHING within about 20 feet of them when tossed into the water.

They were empty CO2 cartridges with the ends drilled out a little bit. filled with black style powder and a green cannon fuse inserted, then sealed with RTV silicone.

Unfortunately... we DO NOT make them anymore... cause the fucking asinine, CHICKENSHIT liberal afraid of EVERYTHING, cowardly, no nut-sack having pussies that live in this country would think you a fucking "terrorist with a bomb", and not just a good ol' boy going fishing.

Makes me sad... the state of this ONCE FINE nation... is nothing more now than a soggy shit sandwich...

haha, sounds like a fun way to fish, although i agree its best not to mess with it now. people get too scared of things like that, even though mythbusters blow stuff up all the time. you even see the FBI guys laughing as they're blowin up random things, and the tv show ratings are very high, which means other people are amused by it too.

i think almost everyone has a little pyro in them!! lol

I went out on an Ocean Kayak Trident 13 today and caught 11 Black Snapper (kept 9)027.gif I used a Pflueger Echelon 7' combo rod. I was using Calcutta shad swim bait.

The one on the top was about 18"

post-19654-0-56775000-1310968129_thumb.jpg

post-19654-0-78362400-1310968164_thumb.jpg

The Honey Hole!

post-19654-0-17746700-1310968308_thumb.jpg

Edited by DrGonZo
  • 1 year later...

well, here is another piece of equipment, the little boat. with the new prop, its going a little slower, about 36-38 on open water. but BOY does it take off fast....I can spin it in place.

I miss cold water trout....I got a secret you guys might wanna know on that, btw.....

post-83-0-61700100-1347237116_thumb.jpg