Sig 516 vs. HK MR556A1 vs. Barrett REC7?

9 members have voted

1. 1. After reviewing, wich would one choose?

i plan on picking up an AR soon but am trying to decide on what model. i would like it to be a piston operated AR, with a falt-top and quad rail. these are what i have narrowed it down to.

http://barrett.net/firearms/rec7

http://hk-usa.com/civilian_products/mr556_general.asp

http://sigsauer.com/CatalogProductDetails/sig516-patrol.aspx

so far, im leaning towards the Sig. during testing, the Sig fired 20,000 rounds without cleaning and minimal oiling and only had one stoppage through a variety of tests.

what i dont like about the HK, non chrome lined barrel, very pricey and has shitty customer service. or at least from what i experienced with my usp.

havent herd much from the barrett. by reading up on it, looks like it may bring a bit to the table. but still pricey. i like how its offered in 6.8 spc.

they all have the 1:7 twist wich i like and do have the 5.56 chamber.

anyone here have any trigger time on any of the above mentioned weapons?

feedback is welcome. thanks.

I've shot ~200 rounds through the SIG516. It's not a bad rifle, relatively light, and fairly accurate. Real loud though. I'm not a fan of AR-style rifles as a general rule, they just don't fit me well, but this one was pretty close.

As an extra bump for their reliability, the 516 I shot didn't even have grease on it, just Rem oil. The guy who let me try his rifle out hadn't really looked into grease and disliked cleaning his weapons, but this gun still ran well. It's not a knock on the guy cause I like him, but it's not the way I would treat a rifle that expensive.

I didn't vote because I haven't tried the others.

HK customer service leaves as soon as the package is opened. We sell all 3 of them. We make more money on SIGs, but I personally own the Barrett.

i plan on picking up an AR soon but am trying to decide on what model. i would like it to be a piston operated AR, with a falt-top and quad rail. these are what i have narrowed it down to.

http://hk-usa.com/civilian_products/mr556_general.asp

http://sigsauer.com/CatalogProductDetails/sig516-patrol.aspx

so far, im leaning towards the Sig. during testing, the Sig fired 20,000 rounds without cleaning and minimal oiling and only had one stoppage through a variety of tests.

what i dont like about the HK, non chrome lined barrel, very pricey and has shitty customer service. or at least from what i experienced with my usp.

havent herd much from the barrett. by reading up on it, looks like it may bring a bit to the table. but still pricey. i like how its offered in 6.8 spc.

You might check out Get off the X forum.

I believe Yeager is in the E.Tenn area as well and kinda tight with the Barrett's re' testing & access - could be wrong?

Barrett does have a subforum there and Ive seen lots of comments about the Rec7

Cheers

Harv

I'm leaning towards a LMT MRP for my next AR. My buddy has one and the ability to change barrels easily is a selling point to me as well as it being a quality weapon. He also has a LMT .308.

I was at an event where they demoed an Hk416 all day long. I didn't get to shoot it but they basically took a new rifle out of the box and then let different bigshots do full auto mag dump after mag dump without a hiccup for 6-8 hours.

If the MR556 uses the same guts minus the "Go Fast" parts I would definitely spend the big bucks and get best thing right off the bat.

EDIT:I take that all back, they deleted the chrome lining from their CHF barrel. I wouldn't have a fighting rifle without a chrome bore.HK really screwed the pooch on this one. Their Bolt,Extractor and CHF Chrome Lined Bore are as important to their superiority as their gas system and $3200 with a barrel that won't shoot corrosive or last 70,000rds like the military version just sucks.

Edited by SOPMOD

HK customer service leaves as soon as the package is opened. We sell all 3 of them. We make more money on SIGs, but I personally own the Barrett.

http://hk-usa.com/ci...556_general.asp

http://sigsauer.com/...516-patrol.aspx

how do you like that Barrett? is it what you were expecting it to be?

I believe Yeager is in the E.Tenn area as well and kinda tight with the Barrett's re' testing & access - could be wrong?

Cheers

Harv

thanks for the info. ill have to check it out.

I'm leaning towards a LMT MRP for my next AR. My buddy has one and the ability to change barrels easily is a selling point to me as well as it being a quality weapon. He also has a LMT .308.

i wouldnt mind one of their piston rifles. they do make a badass rifle.

I was at an event where they demoed an Hk416 all day long. I didn't get to shoot it but they basically took a new rifle out of the box and then let different bigshots do full auto mag dump after mag dump without a hiccup for 6-8 hours.

If the MR556 uses the same guts minus the "Go Fast" parts I would definitely spend the big bucks and get best thing right off the bat.

EDIT:I take that all back, they deleted the chrome lining from their CHF barrel. I wouldn't have a fighting rifle without a chrome bore.HK really screwed the pooch on this one. Their Bolt,Extractor and CHF Chrome Lined Bore are as important to their superiority as their gas system and $3200 with a barrel that won't shoot corrosive or last 70,000rds like the military version just sucks.

i have to agree with your edit. as excited as i was when it was released, upon reading about the barrel, i was very disappointed. it sucks ass indeed.

Cheers

Harv

Not meaning to hijack the thread but for the record James Yeager isn't someone I'd take advice from nor idolize. He is a self proclaimed tactical guru who did some Law Enforcement work (fired four times from what I hear), has zero military experience, and limited PSD work in Iraq which didn't go to well when he got a couple of teammates KIA on Route Irish in Baghdad. He may be tight with Barrett, maybe getting a check from them for the endorsement. They just chose the wrong guy to represent them. Barrett, however, is GTG with me although the only tool I have used from their toolbox is the M82A1 which went bang everytime.

Cheers

Harv

Not meaning to hijack the thread but for the record James Yeager isn't someone I'd take advice from nor idolize. He is a self proclaimed tactical guru who did some Law Enforcement work (fired four times from what I hear), has zero military experience, and limited PSD work in Iraq which didn't go to well when he got a couple of teammates KIA on Route Irish in Baghdad. He may be tight with Barrett, maybe getting a check from them for the endorsement. They just chose the wrong guy to represent them. Barrett, however, is GTG with me although the only tool I have used from their toolbox is the M82A1 which went bang everytime.

MT,

You may be correct about Yeager. My post certainly did not infer any type of idolization or admiration :wacko:

No one had posted specific info on the Barrett and his forum was the one place I thought the OP might find a fair amount of coverage about it.

Since R. Barrett invented his 50cal weapon and the military sure seems to like it :up: I figure his qualifications concerning weapons and related issues is probably at least as good as anyone posting on this forum. I saw a recent show where Yeager's training group had the Barrett's and their weapons involved in a training exercise. Yeager wasnt "representing" Barrett that I could tell. I believe it was a case where he could examine how his weapon(s) were functioning/being used in a combat type scenario. So beyond whatever alledged personal issues one cares to judge another by, it would seem to me that their opinion is at least worth taking into consideration.

I will certainly admit that the gun culture certainly includes quite a unique and provocative range of personalities - from easy going to rehabilitated law breakers who've served time :chris:

I have no personal investment in ANY of the self proclaimed guru's or their websites, training services, or "advisory" roles. Unlike some folks who seem to profess a sort of allegiance to one specific trainer, philosophy, or website, I simply like to take in a wide cross section of info & opinions, then form my own take on a subject. An open mind is better suited to seeing the complete picture IMO.

Not a personal jab at anyone ....just an opportunity to comment on some general trends I see occuring frequently.

Cheers,

Harv

You may be correct about Yeager. My post certainly did not infer any type of idolization or admiration :wacko:

Didn't mean to infer you idolized him. Meant more for the masses on here. As far as Yeager is concerned, nothing personal with him at all. I've seen the video of the incident, read his After Action Report and personal accounts of others on the scene. Pretty sad when you fuck up and then blame the two dead men in the car you abandoned IMO. Once again, sorry for the threadjack.

I have owned HKs since the late 80s,and other than kissing my butt a little bit over one of their 1st generation USPs that continued to have pieces strip out and break off before reaching the 3,000rd mark they have been impossible to deal with as a civilian.You will never get spare parts, you will never get a weapon back in service in less than 3 months and they will never admit that their product might have had a defect.When faced with a glaring problem they will give you months of silence and a form letter but only after looking for 1001 ways to pin the blame for a broken or malfunctioning product on you up to and including accusing you of all kinds of bizarre crap you never even thought of.

The MR556 is a CAR15 that weighs as much as a Garand and costs as much as a pile of decent AR15s. I would get a Daniel Defense Middy and be done with it if I were you. ARs are sportscars and adding pistons and all sorts of horrifyingly expensive crap is trying to make a Ferarri into a 4x4.If you sleep somewhere clean at night and you want ultimate performance for short duration engagements then the AR is fine.If you want the Long Haul Trucker meant to be issued to shoeless barbarians and last for several lifetimes of warfare get an AK and learn to use it as well as an AR.

i already have an sgl, so i have the AK i want. i havent shot an AR since i got out of the service in '03. im just curios if the price gap from the piston operated rifles vs. the basic direct impingement is actually a payoff. with the review i read on the sig it seems to be a good choice for the money. but im going to research the barrett a little more before i come to a conclusion, since i still have time before i buy.

you guys didnt jack the thread. i look at it as information that may or may not be useful in the future. i appreciate the feedback fellas.

Bullets in the mag r are in backwards

Winner! That brochure always makes me chuckle especially with "No Compromise" on it.

sadly it went right over my head. i was looking for a flaw on the pistol. thats hilarious.

Save yourself some dough and get a Ruger 556. It's been out long enough to be properly sorted and has all the features you want at half the cost!

the rugers i seen all had a 1:9 twist on the barrel. thats the only reason i waited to buy theirs. they are nice rifles. i think they cost the about the same as the sig. not sure though.

The new Ruger 556E is going for around $990. Doesn't have a quad rail, but does have a full top rail and the capacity to add others to the sides and bottom if you wish. Saw the Gunblast review of it on YouTube and think I may go that route if I decide to jump on the AR bandwagon...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V13oUDl-6w4

I own a ADCOR that I'm very happy with (chrome lined FN 1:7 barrel), but if I were to do it again this is my thought. I wanted a piston driven AR, the problem with a lot of them (including the ADCOR) is that several parts are proprietary. Without checking, I think the LMT fits the bill or I'd just do a build up using Adams Arms piston. Most of the new piston systems today have a good rep, combine that with a AR that any mil spec part can be installed and you've got a winner. The other thing is unless you're happy with the gun right out of the box, why pay for parts you're going to take off and replace.

Ok, a buddy I haven't talked to in years got in touch with me last night and we started talking guns and he has been running a Ruger SR556 upper on a select fire dealer sample lower and swears and be damned he has beat the crap out of it for since last year and it hasn't missed a lick.

Edited by SOPMOD
  • Like 1