Accuracy out of the 16" barreled saiga in 223rem??

I'd say anywhere from 1-5" most likely 3" or 4". IT does depend on the shooter and gun of course.

Best I ever did was 1.5" at 60-75y, but my average for 100y is 2.5 - 3.5" slow firing, with a red dot, and cheap Russian ammo.(Tula)

With cheap Russian ammo, iron sights, and a so-so shooter: 3 inch groups at 100yds. With match ammo, a scope, and an experienced shooter: definitely under 1.5" at 100 yds. The 5.56mm Saiga has the thickest barrel walls of all the calibers since the Russians start with the same blanks for all calibers. It's almost a bull barrel. Which tightens the groups.

The 5.56mm Saiga has the thickest barrel walls of all the calibers since the Russians start with the same blanks for all calibers. It's almost a bull barrel. Which tightens the groups.

If that's the case, the 5.45 would have the thickest barrel walls. :unsure:

• Like 1

The 5.56mm Saiga has the thickest barrel walls of all the calibers since the Russians start with the same blanks for all calibers. It's almost a bull barrel. Which tightens the groups.

I was thinking the same thing.

Russian 5.45x39 barrels have a smaller OD than the 7.62x39 or .223 Rem barrels. They're worthy of a unique production line at Izhmash because they're also going to the Russian military.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

With cheap Russian ammo, iron sights, and a so-so shooter: 3 inch groups at 100yds. With match ammo, a scope, and an experienced shooter: definitely under 1.5" at 100 yds. The 5.56mm Saiga has the thickest barrel walls of all the calibers since the Russians start with the same blanks for all calibers. It's almost a bull barrel. Which tightens the groups.

I haven't measured, but the barrel on my .223 looks nothing like a bull barrel, I think the barrell on my Marlin 60 (22.lr) has a larger ouside diameter than my Saiga .223...

For me the best group has been shot with Prvi Partizan 55gr soft points. Grouping was 2" on iron sights I can guarantee it is much better. Just got my K-Var optics mount and waiting for my check for a scope and rings. These rifles will shoot very well with good ammo and a good shooter.

I believe my rifle is capable of much better.

The Saiga 223 has a heavier barrel when compared to all other Saigas currently. Also with good magazines and some good lubrication the Saiga 223 is highly reliable. The saiga can be shot dry as well with no risk of failures.

Just a little side note the 223 saiga has a spring loaded firing pin so no chance of a slam fire.

Hope that helps clear some things up.

l usually shoot my aks offhand l figure if l ever really have to use it l wont have the luxury of a benchrest, at 100yds w/ironsights their more accurate than l can shoot. lf l were to benchrest it add a good scope and ammo l would guess it could probably do about 1.5 to 2moa maybe even better if l reloaded for it. Its plenty accurate to hit a man sized target out to about 300yds easily, thats all that really matters to me.

l usually shoot my aks offhand l figure if l ever really have to use it l wont have the luxury of a benchrest, at 100yds w/ironsights their more accurate than l can shoot. lf l were to benchrest it add a good scope and ammo l would guess it could probably do about 1.5 to 2moa maybe even better if l reloaded for it. Its plenty accurate to hit a man sized target out to about 300yds easily, thats all that really matters to me.

I agree.

If that's the case, the 5.45 would have the thickest barrel walls. unsure.gif

Russian 5.45x39 barrels have a smaller OD than the 7.62x39 or .223 Rem barrels. They're worthy of a unique production line at Izhmash because they're also going to the Russian military.

Not sure where you got this. *Russian* 7.62x39 and 5.45x39 AKM barrels should have all of the same outer diameters, aside from the chamber where there is a 1mm difference.

However as is stated in this thread, diameters of .223 Saiga barrels differ greatly, seemingly at random. Mine just happens to be machined out of a standard AKM barrel blank and has all of the usual diameters. Makes using AK-74 FSB/GB/retainer very easy.

Edited by mancat

My first shots with my S223 at 50 yards with Ulynvosk (sp?) 55 grain made a 1" hole with all shots (10rds) touching. This was at a bench just resting my arms on the deck. After I adjusted the sights to point of aim and blasted a bit, the group started to open up a bit. With the same ammo and some wolf 55grain, The best I was able to manage was 4" at 100 yards with irons. But I am happy with that because I can hit my 8" gongs offhand at 100 and 125 regularly. Almost 100% if I don't try more than 5 shots at a time. 5 shots, rest at low ready, up and 5 more...

I have no interest in mounting optics on mine. But I did change the front sight to one of those red plastic tapco jobbies. Helps a bit...

later

rich

My first shots with my S223 at 50 yards with Ulynvosk (sp?) 55 grain made a 1" hole with all shots (10rds) touching. This was at a bench just resting my arms on the deck. After I adjusted the sights to point of aim and blasted a bit, the group started to open up a bit. With the same ammo and some wolf 55grain, The best I was able to manage was 4" at 100 yards with irons. But I am happy with that because I can hit my 8" gongs offhand at 100 and 125 regularly. Almost 100% if I don't try more than 5 shots at a time. 5 shots, rest at low ready, up and 5 more...

I have no interest in mounting optics on mine. But I did change the front sight to one of those red plastic tapco jobbies. Helps a bit...

later

rich

Groups might be opening from the barrel heating up. Some guns shoot better cold some hot. Just depends on the gun. But it sounds like you have a good one.

Yup, I'm happy with it. I think the groups had more to do with getting more (too) comfortable and rushing than anything else. And the shooting 5 rds at a time had more to do with me starting to wobble and barking off rounds without being settled.

In a solid rest with my reloads, I'm sure that I could shrink the groups a bit. But that's not what I bought it for. I save my primo brass and load pricise rounds for my Savage/Stevens. The Saiga gets fed range brass and out of spec stuff. I'm not really curious enough to bang up my precision rounds' brass with the AK kiss... :)